The NoMad Deck - Review

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
This is a review of the NoMad deck.
Overall I would give it a 8/10
When the first pictures of the deck were released I was unsure how it would turn out. The few pictures of the back design featured the distressed back which made the deck one way. While this is true (the cards are distressed) and most if not all the cards are technically one way, theory11 did it right.
I was worried at first because I own the Bicycle Expert Deck which features a very distressed back design. The key problem I noticed was that all the cards had the same dirt and stains in the same places. This worked against the design as it didn't give the cards an aged look, but instead a cheesy, fake appearance.
The NoMad deck is different and uses different styles to depict age on the card, it isn't overboard, and overall it is a nice deck with a nice tuck case. Of course, the out of the box handling is good (as all theory11 decks are).
While this deck is nice I do have some issues with it. First of all the deck is pretty much a copy-paste Bicycle design. Since the front is pretty standard I do think that the $10 price tag is a bit much. I say this because the Contraband deck which is fully customized (front and back) and has a nice tuck to go with it is $2 cheaper (Contraband is $8). The only other deck to boast a $10 price tag is the Bad Robot Mystery Box Deck, of which $1 is donated to charity.
In my opinion if you are looking for a nice, custom deck of cards, you should save some money and buy a Contraband Deck. If you are like me and like to collect cards (and willing to pay $10) you will not regret it.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Oh boy, I got mine in the mail today and I'm going to sound like such an ungrateful Negative Nancy. Especially since I got mine in an SNC

I've been following the hype for NoMad. It doesn't help that I followed the hype for Contraband and the fact that the T11 team has been nonstop working on crazy projects. After Contraband, I believed that the bar was set pretty high and I was under the impression that decks from that point would either meet, slightly exceed, or be slightly below the bar.

I'm not a fan of NoMad

Don't get me wrong, the deck case is beautiful, the backs are neat, and the quality is there. The kicker for me is the generic faces and the textured look. And I know that the textured look comes down to personal preference, I REALLY don't like the textured look.
I have a green Bicycle deck that also looks like it has the worn and weathered look to it and I'm CONSTANTLY asked if I spilled coffee on them. I played 'Go Fish' with my daughter with NoMad today--right out of the case and she asked me if I dropped the cards on the ground. Even though the look is part of the appeal, I just can't do with it.

Honestly, this is more of a deck tailored to collectors. Contraband was a hard act to follow and I think NoMad was a good effort. I would have been sold on it if there was a different font or just a slightly different look to the faces than what they are.

For the price tag, I'd recommend the Mystery Box decks as the court cards (at least) look a bit different, the quality is also there, and you have money going to charity.

Dec 6, 2014
i thought since andrei called it a distressed back , it would be like the bicycle 125 distressed back with those brown aging marks all over the card , since seeing reviews , i really desperately need to pick these up. they have a tally ho inspired design which is perfect for magic in a really good shade of black .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results