2 years old idea - What should i do ?

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
You know what they say "Great minds think a like" but let me say people think a like cause i can't say my mind is great .... It's common to create something in magic and then find out that it's already created and that is fine but working for almost 2 years on a thing and then when you are so close to do the big move you find out that somebody did something similar believe me it feels bad ..... Let me explain . . .

This is a video of me FEB/2013:
at 0:27 you can see the very first tries of a color change,

I worked hard to develop this change, just 2 months ago from now i found my self with 8 different changes using the same concept and 3 routines.

I filmed the tutorial and a "trailer" that was in quotes because it wasn't really good enough for a trailer A LOT of mistakes .... the trailer link:
Trailer date: JULY 4th 2015

Then i was planning to film another one and start editing the tutorial but i found this: http://www.theory11.com/wire/david-koehler/box-change/

A great change by my friend David Koehler ... I'm not here to ruin this download but i played around with card boxes quite enough so i know that his change and my changes are kinda similar ... it's NOT the same it's different but the case is I don't know what Theory11 think about being similar in the concept.

I'm writing this forum cause i need an advise ... should i start editing my tutorial? or it's just a waste of time?
or shall i just give this away and maybe I'll have better luck next time?

It's not that easy on me to edit them anyway right now especially if i had the feeling that this is waste of time plus the tutorial is about 20 GB of memory to edit if you are not familiar with GBs (THIS IS A LOT).

Please tell me what do you think should i do now .... and lastly .... Thanks for reading this forum :)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
You know what they say "Great minds think a like" but let me say people think a like cause i can't say my mind is great .... It's common to create something in magic and then find out that it's already created and that is fine but working for almost 2 years on a thing and then when you are so close to do the big move you find out that somebody did something similar believe me it feels bad ..... Let me explain . . .

This is a video of me FEB/2013:
at 0:27 you can see the very first tries of a color change,

I worked hard to develop this change, just 2 months ago from now i found my self with 8 different changes using the same concept and 3 routines.

I filmed the tutorial and a "trailer" that was in quotes because it wasn't really good enough for a trailer A LOT of mistakes .... the trailer link:
Trailer date: JULY 4th 2015

Then i was planning to film another one and start editing the tutorial but i found this: http://www.theory11.com/wire/david-koehler/box-change/

A great change by my friend David Koehler ... I'm not here to ruin this download but i played around with card boxes quite enough so i know that his change and my changes are kinda similar ... it's NOT the same it's different but the case is I don't know what Theory11 think about being similar in the concept.

I'm writing this forum cause i need an advise ... should i start editing my tutorial? or it's just a waste of time?
or shall i just give this away and maybe I'll have better luck next time?

It's not that easy on me to edit them anyway right now especially if i had the feeling that this is waste of time plus the tutorial is about 20 GB of memory to edit if you are not familiar with GBs (THIS IS A LOT).

Please tell me what do you think should i do now .... and lastly .... Thanks for reading this forum :)

I think that they are different enough to warrant republication. I can't say that Theroy11 will think this or not. Have have created many effects that were created by others. The most recent was Thepry11's Break, I have been selling this independently, for a few years then Theory11 brought theirs out. Their version really started in the same place as mine but they were able to really improve upon the concept. When Break came out I contacted them and we talked. I showed my video to them and they explained their side of the story.

A similar thing happened to King Playing cards over at Ellusionist. I wrote into them a few years ago about how a deck needs to be more functional and then gave my specific selling points. They used those same selling points in the King advertisements. I contacted them and they never gave me credit.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it happens. There can be positive resolutions. The best thing to do would be to contact the creator and discuss. In my opinion your changes look a lot different then the change you are comparing it to. Look at the differences in the Shape Shifter and the Twirl change. The effect and method are almost the exact same, the differences are just significant enough to warrant publication. I think that the two color changes here at least that different.

Be careful not to be too sensitive. Jay Sankey insists that he created Angle Z before Daniel Madison, no matter how you fudge the dates he didn't. Justin Miller believes that everyone who takes a picture as part of a trick is copying his trick Smile, regardless of method, presentation or gimmicks. Don't be like this, there are differences, don't let your pride get in the way of seeing them.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I would continue to work on it for sure. It's a great change and concept. If there are enough differences in method and application then that is suitable even if the effect is the same (think about the recent release of Double Cross).

After my wire release came out I was contacted by a young guy who had independently come up with and published a trick with the same/similar gimmick (but we used it very differently). He asked to be acknowledged and I felt that was fair even though I have video from five years ago of the effect. He was very reasonable and I list him in the acknowledgements for independently coming up with the same gimmick. Respect is an important part of what we do.

But I would keep moving ahead for sure, but it's great to acknowledge similar effects and creators.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results