◦ Escapologist

◦ What Came First

◦ Egg and Yolks

◦ One by One

◦ Come and Go

• Play All
  • Credits
  • Tailers

The ultimate coin box indeed. If you like coin box magic, then you’ll never buy another coin box again. Juan Luis Rubiales’s Opongo Box incorporates an Okito, Boston, and Slot Box all into a single brass, precision made prop that feels wonderful and handles like a dream.

It’s so rare to find a good coin magic DVD that comes not only with the gaffs but also gives you four coins to practice with strait out of the gate. Yeah I probably paid for those coins in the initial $70 buck purchase cost but you know what? Well worth it! Nothing pisses me off more than getting home from my local magic store only to find out that I need to go back out again and purchase a bunch of crap that I didn’t know I needed in order to practice my new trick I just got.

Since Juan’s box is a combination of three popular coin boxes the actual number of routines you could do with the Opongo box is near limitless, but just for good measure he incorporates five different routines to get you going. The only other thing that you may need to get your hands on, if you don’t already have, is some magicians wax. You could probably use other things, but wax just seems like the safest option.

The DVD is about an hour long and is pretty easy to follow. I’m not a coin guy, but even I’m sitting here absolutely tickled pink at how well made this box is. The sleights are easy enough to learn. A Shuttle Pass here, a Click Pass there, toss in a French Drop for good measure and you’ve got something simple enough a novice can have fun with, but a master will massacre people’s minds. The milled brass box looks heavy, sounds heavy, feels heavy, so it’s got some credibility as a high end prop. It will last a life time, and I’m sure audiences as well as magicians alike will love it.

Overall I’ve been very pleased with my Opongo Box, and I can’t recommend this enough to others who like doing box work. The only downside is that the box is pre-set to American Kennedy Half Dollars. So if you run Morgan’s, or other currency forms you’re going to be glad that the box comes with four Kennedy’s to get you started. Check it out! I highly recommend the Opongo Box by Juan Luis Rubiales.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 9

A bit on the expensive side, but well worth every penny. Considering you get gimmicks, a three in one coin box made from spun brass, a instructional DVD with five routines on it, AND four Kennedy half dollars, $70 bucks is a steal!

Teaching Quality: 8

The tutorial is good, and the magic well taught. You’ll need to practice some sleight of hand moves to fully utilize the power of this prop, but it’ll be well worth it.

Video & Sound Quality: 8

Good sound and video. Annoying green screen effect but it’s at the least sufferable.

Overall Quality: 9

This is a solid win. Wow! Great prop and I highly recommend it. If you do coin magic you need this product, if you don’t do coin magic then this is a GREAT introduction to a great coin device.

Have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at draven@williamdraven.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results