Can you buy Freon?

Sep 1, 2007
I'm thinking of some cool effects where I might use freon to freeze stuff. Can you buy spray cans of it or anything? Is there a practical way to apply it?

Ideally, I'd love to spray a spectator's signed dollar and then shatter it...

I've got a great name for the effect, too. Get this: "Frozen Assets."

I think that I'm incredibly clever (in a pathetic sort of way) for thinking that up. Don't pop my bubble.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
just remember... if you do get ahold of some of this stuff, you HAVE got to be careful. Number one, you are working with stuff that can severely injure you. Number two, people use this stuff to do bad things....what you dont want is your image being tainted if someone finds out you are carying Freon around...

EDIT: have you ever thought about trying Liquid Nitrogen?

Yeah.. and they hand out Liquid Nitrogen like candy. Great idea, but the kind of freezing chemicals you are looking for are not on the common market because well, they are dangerous. Nice idea, but the reason it probably hasn't been done is that buying, not to mention handling is dangerous and costly. Even if it were possible to buy, I'd suggest against it.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Yeah.. and they hand out Liquid Nitrogen like candy. Great idea, but the kind of freezing chemicals you are looking for are not on the common market because well, they are dangerous. Nice idea, but the reason it probably hasn't been done is that buying, not to mention handling is dangerous and costly. Even if it were possible to buy, I'd suggest against it.

Yes, it is rather easy to get Liq. Nitro...a place near me will sell it to anyone over 18.......

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Here's a safer alternative. What if you dipped something into a glass of water and it froze around the object?
There's a granulated chemical called sodium acetate. It's an exothermic freezing compound. Well after you boil it into water that is. Exothermic means that it disperses energy when heat is applied. It's the opposite of endothermic, where heat triggers the absorption of energy.

When you boil it into water and keep the water refrigerated it looks like water. Well like unset jello, but closer to water, and stays completely clear. When it is poured into something warmer than itself(room temperature) it will freeze form top to bottom almost instantly. And it safe to touch, and safe to be around. *JUST DON'T DRINK IT*

If you look around online you can probably find some. I hear it's fairly easy to get. When you find a place to buy some make sure it's Sodium Acetate Trihydrate in pure Granular form.

I've used the stuff before and it's really cool. You can trigger the freezing process buy touching the surface, don't dip your finger in though, It froze around mine once. Some times it can act as a skin irritant though, depends on your skin. But dont worry if you finger does get stuck, the ice is hot!

EDIT:
What I failed to mention is that it's a tad bit expensive. This site sells it for the cheapest I've seen. $15 USD for 500g (just over a pound). One site wanted $80 for the same amount.
http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sodium-Acetate-Trihydrate-500g-P16276C670.aspx
And check out youtube, there should be a video or two on it, just search Sodium Acetate.

Have fun and be chemically safe at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results