How do I go about insuring my hands?

Nov 14, 2012
I once thought about this very idea.
Then I realized that my hands are not the only important part of my body.
It's more of a combination of everything.
If I could insure anything tho it would be my brain which provides and gives me the ability to perform at my level.
I have all of my understanding in there.
My hands are merely a tool of expressing it.
Anyways I never have to worry about getting hurt because I do not do mistakes.
I will never put my hands at risk.
If something where to happen to me due to other peoples negligence I will sue them for all they got tho.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've noticed several members on this forum having those issues recently.

Was this a jab?

There's a well known rule in most forums that I frequent that goes like this,

DON'T POKE THE BEAR!

tongue.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW. . . it's no secret that I have a big ego the catch is, I've earned the right to be a bit bold because I actually know a heck of a lot when it comes to this stuff. That doesn't give me carte blanche for being a total jerk but it does mean that I can offer a firm hand here and there, so as to challenge individuals to both, learn and step up to the proverbial plate when it comes to this craft... something I quite protective over; while a vicious mistress, she was my first and only true love.

Dec 30, 2012
USA
I realized that my hands are not the only important part of my body.
It's more of a combination of everything.

If something where to happen to me due to other peoples negligence I will sue them for all they got tho.

Good point here! But who are you going to sue if you can't perform due to heart issues? or a stroke? or any other debilitating illness?
Disability insurance is available for anyone who depends on their income to pay their bills. I can get you a free quote if interested. Yes, Lloyds is one of the options, there are many other insurance companies out there. Insuring your hands is a good idea, but all your body parts are important, and a disability insurance policy will cover the whole body; so if you can't work due to debilitating migraines, or a knee injury, or back pain, or pulmonary issues, you will get paid a monthly benefit by the insurance company.
There are waiting periods, and benefit periods you can choose. These are affordable! Just ask for a quote. It will depend on age, health issues, smoking habits, and what amount of benefit would you like to insure per month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Daniel. . . welcome to the forum but you may want to introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your background in magic. Old guys like me get nervous when we see a new person with one post that is almost an advertisement for the Insurance Industry.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
People may think it is stupid but surgeons do it a lot. I don't because I don't feel it is necessary but I guess if you are doing close up magic then it could be helpful. I do know that a surgeon lost his hand in a car accident and he had insurance which helped him out. I don't know where to tell you to go though. :/

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
People may think it is stupid but surgeons do it a lot. I don't because I don't feel it is necessary but I guess if you are doing close up magic then it could be helpful. I do know that a surgeon lost his hand in a car accident and he had insurance which helped him out. I don't know where to tell you to go though. :/

There's a HUGE difference between a surgeon & a magician, if you haven't noticed.

As I believe I said earlier, IF a person has won a ton of awards and accolades because of their dexterity and control THEN there is realistic & valid reason for taking such a dramatic step, 99.5% of us will NEVER fall into that niche. In 40 some years of being around magic and working with some of its most noted technicians, I can honestly say that less than a dozen of the hundreds I've known, come close to fitting that niche and every single one of them have won more than a few top honors within the craft; one or two without ever competing, just based on reputation within the fraternity. Ironically, I don't know that any of these people ever went to the extreme of getting insurance on their hands; they were down to earth, WORKING performers most of whom had a primary source of income outside of magic (you'll find that most of the more successful stars of magic all had a "day job" of some kind... a fall back vocation that served as their own insurance).

The only entertainers I'm aware of that have taken this step were musicians and usually classically trained performers. Eddie Van Halen is probably the only Rock n Roll personality to have taken this step, but I think that had more to do with his handlers, not Eddie.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Was this a jab?

There's a well known rule in most forums that I frequent that goes like this,

DON'T POKE THE BEAR!

tongue.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW. . . it's no secret that I have a big ego the catch is, I've earned the right to be a bit bold because I actually know a heck of a lot when it comes to this stuff. That doesn't give me carte blanche for being a total jerk but it does mean that I can offer a firm hand here and there, so as to challenge individuals to both, learn and step up to the proverbial plate when it comes to this craft... something I quite protective over; while a vicious mistress, she was my first and only true love.

Indeed it was Mr.Browning! However most definitely not aimed in your direction. You have my utmost respect. I am referring too the many members I have seen who appear to be trolling the forums recently.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results