Saturday Night Contest - Fool Us + Mathieu Bich

Status
Not open for further replies.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Yesterday morning, we released an amazing new effect from Mathieu Bich: EDGE. As you glide your finger over the edge of the deck, the spectator's selected card appears written in permanent ink along the side. Mathieu Bich created the effect in July of 2000, and he's been improving and perfecting it ever since. It's simple, powerful, and has limitless applications. You can write whatever you want to reveal - any word in any language. And it's almost entirely self working.

In June of 2011, Mathieu Bich appeared on Penn and Teller's television show "Fool Us" in the UK, where he successfully fooled the judges with a brilliant effect. Tonight, in celebration of the release of Edge, your challenge is to FOOL US.

Specifically, the contest this week is to make a video of any magic effect, and upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo. Post a link to your video in response to THIS forum thread. Just like on Fool Us, you can perform any effect you'd like. It could even have the most impractical method of all time: it just needs to fool us. There's only two rules: no camera tricks, and no stooges.

You have 24 hours to post your video in response to this forum thread. The deadline is Sunday at 7:30pm EST. Each video will be reviewed by our judging panel, and whichever video we believe to be the most memorable and deceptive will take home the prize. What's up for grabs? A DVD of Mathieu's new effect Edge and a brick of our latest and greatest ARTISAN Playing Cards. Good luck!

UPDATE - The results have been posted! Check out the results and watch the winning submission here.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Define camera tricks please. Sounds like a fun challenge.
I hate to say it... but agreed!

I love this contest however, regardless of who wins I am excited to see these entries. This should be awesome.

Also, is the goal to deceive initially, or to have a method that cannot be figured out? As in, a trick that fools you guys the first time around, but watching back through it would become obvious, vs a trick that you guys cannot figure out the method behind it at all.

Aug 28, 2009
hi, this is a trick i create in 2011 and i put in youtube since february 2012
i share my trick with you for this contest (the trick was performed in spanish):

the spectator choose a few cards from a normal deck, and he punch holes on that cards with a hole puncher, then shuffle the cards and they choose one card face down.
then you open an envelope you had in sight since the beginning, and the card in the envelpoe is exaclty the same card he choose, but the most amazing is the holes on both cards also match !!! the cards and the holes are exaclty in the same place !!!

i hope you like it !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eL91lki_BM&feature=g-crec-u

I need to dust off a few notebooks and see if I can't cobble something together in time. =/ Damn the timing on this. I've never been really good at fooling other magicians. I usually focus on just fooling the marks.

What if an effect could be created that is a bit of a mind reading bit. The spec is given a note pad with 23 options written on it and is told to think of someone in their life and then circle one of the options that best reflect their feelings towards this person. Arrange it so 11 of the options relate to something motivated by love, 5 options are negative based, and the remaining 7 are generic complements.

Through probability the spec is likely to associate a romantic option leaving you the ability to cold read that being about the oposite sex.

the next likely possibility is the negative remarks being they are also a strong associated emotion. you could cold read a past rival or co worker maybe boss and generally hit off it.

The last option being generic complements could be someone that is just friendly with the person. a casual acquainted.

there's more that could be done with this I just need to think about it more.

Pick a number between 1 and 10
Multiply it by 9
If it's a 2 digit number, add them together
Now subtract 5
Right, now map the result to a letter of the alphabet, where A=1, B=2 and so on
Think of a country which begins with that letter.
Take the second letter of the country and think of an animal which begins with that letter
Think of the colour of that animal...
You're thinking of a grey elephant from Denmark, right?

or an orange and black Jaguar from Djibooti

didja fool ya?

Typically Manny E it has to be created for specifically the event in question, which does in fact rule out previous uploads.

I can't begin to tell you how many events I had something that would have worked in canned footage that got DQ'd because it was already uploaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results