Saturday Night Roundtable :: Calen Morelli

Jun 29, 2008
What is your best source of inspiration ? Do you have awesome ideas popping in your head every day or do you try focusing on a special feature for the effect ?

Oct 25, 2008
Why create so many new effects? Is it not better to just have a few really good ones, rather than many mediocre ones?

Do you have a notebook where you record all your new effects?

Jun 10, 2010
Calen Morelli,

1. How did you get the idea to come up with one new effect every day for an entire year for your blog?

2. When you create, do you come up with the effect first, then a method? Or do you have a little move you play around with, then structure it into an effect?

3. What would you consider your performing style? Do you like to be the mysterious guy who knows just what they're doing, cold and calculating? Or do you like to pretend like the magic happens by itself, that you're just as fooled as the spectators are?

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
1. Are you self-taught, or do you have a mentor?
Some people say that having a mentor is the way to go because it ensures that you learn everything the "right way". But others say that being self-taught inspires creativity and gets rid of the limitation of having to do what is "right" when you're self-taught, you do what works for YOU and not something someone else tells you to do. What is your opinion on that subject?

2. I've recently read that when you put routines together, it should be on ONE subject not just a random collection of tricks. So What do you think you'd say so that sunglasses going down your shirt and you putting a piece of gum in a bottle to make sense. How do you make the effects seem similar, even though they are very different?

3. What was the biggest step that transferred your magic from hobby...to career?

Im really looking forward to this discussion cause...

Creative

A

L

E

N

MADNESS! L

O

R

E

L

L

I

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrickKun

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.patrickkun.com
After seeing your 40 days of magic everyday really inspired me to expand my creation beyond than cards and coins. What is your process like when creating? Do you create a subject and then trying to make it possible? Or do you get inspired when seeing other perform certain effects.

Jul 7, 2008
I love transit ! My question is: Are you drunk while inventing this trick ? Because the gimmick was clever and awesome.

Sep 6, 2010
Hey Calen!

Let me first say that I really like TRANSIT. It is very original and very effective. It fooled me!

My question for you is do you look to create magic, or do ideas just hit you in the most random places (like at a water fountain, while driving your car or riding the subway, ect...)

Great job Calen!

- Ben

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Time is up, the results are in! We recorded a 35 minute podcast answering many of your questions posted this evening. The result is a discussion about performing, the creative process, TRANSIT, and Calen's trial and tribulations in his 365 project adventure. The podcast is completely raw and unedited. Listen to it now by downloading the MP3 direct here - or in our roundtable discussion archive.

Tonight's prize (White Centurions!) goes to RediSpades for his question submitted here. Thanks to everyone for participating this week, and join us again next week for a new, fresh contest.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results