The perfect routine

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not a beginner, so please don't say I am one. The purpose of this thread is purely to get ideas for routines that other magicians use.

Number one, prove me wrong. So far all you've done is list a bunch of effects bereft of any context or presentation, claim you're also a mentalist, and get all snippy with people when they don't give you a list of products. None of which is anything new to me, so please try to understand my exasperation. I've seen a hundred guys just like this before, and you won't be the last.

Number two, that does not answer my question. What would you do with the knowledge of my routines and scripts? Dodge the question one more time, and I will go ahead and assume you just want to steal other people's routines. You've refused to disclose your own scripting and you've gotten testy with people for not complying with your demands. The writing is on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I understand what R1 one was saying, what bugged me was that he didn't state his favourite routine at all, he just made an annoying comment, and when I replied civilly, he threw it back in my face. All I'm looking to get out of this thread is some ideas, what you wrote in the second paragraph was a fine answer. Your'e not a jerk because you actually answered the question as well as posing another one which I have no problem with.

AI'm sorry if you thought my comment was annoying. I was trying to get your attention so I could help you learn something. Your response was change your question rather than to think about what I said and how it applies to your performance. My response wasn't throwing it back in your face. Instead, I was trying to re-focus you on what I said because it you didn't get it the first time.

Even now, I doubt very much you understand what I was saying. The tricks you listed were not routines in that there was nothing tying them together except the fact that you like performing them in that order. There is no synergy of props or theme or presentation. The synergy is what makes a list of tricks a routine. You would be better to work on scripting your effects and making them yours than looking for new effects to learn.

Even if you change your questions to "what tricks do you like to perform in what order?", as others have pointed out, that will not help you as a magician. What is a good trick for someone else may not be good for your. Dani DaOrtiz said something I liked a couple of weeks ago. He said, "the important thing is not the trick, but the magician."

Aug 17, 2010
I'm not a beginner, so please don't say I am one. The purpose of this thread is purely to get ideas for routines that other magicians use.

This sounds like a beginner's question, so the assumption isn't entirely unwarranted.

I'm sure I've posted my busking routine here a number of times; you can probably find it without too much effort.

I don't understand what the point of this is, aside from a bunch of people just making lists. I'm not sure what benefit I would gain from finding out what you do, and what I do probably doesn't help you out either.

It's like one band asking another one what songs they should play; Radiohead will tell you to play 'Karma Police' because it kills. Miles Davis will tell you to play 'So What' - it brings down the house every night. Bob Marley would suggest 'Redemption Song' because it's a show stopper. They are all right for themselves, and wrong for the others; I think Bob Marley would have butchered Karma Police, I think Radiohead wouldn't do modal jazz that well, and I think Redemption Song is all wrong for Miles Davis.

The point is, lists and opinions like this are of very little value. What I do works for me after a lot of work, a lot of writing, and even more rewriting. If what you have works for you, great. If it doesn't, there are better ways to find yourself and the material that speaks to you, the material that you can do well and do effectively.

A list of names, devoid of the context of the character that performs them, the motivation that tells the audience why you're here doing this stuff, the patter that brings it to life and all the other things that go into a successful presentation of a magic act are useless.

Further, hard and fast 'rules' are overly arbitrary, and often serve better as guidelines... when I busk, it's a race to get enough people to go into the closer; I'll cut everything out and go right into the finish once I have the critical mass of audience members. More shows per hour, more hats, more money that way. Sometimes the act is three tricks, sometimes it takes a while to build the tip so more tricks are put in to add passersby. I want to get to the big finish as soon as I get a decent edge built.

The tricks in my busking act have to be ones that someone can understand halfway through or more, as audience members can join in at any time and I don't want to alienate anyone with a plot they can't catch up with.

The tricks are presented in a way that reinforce my character, and the show is largely presented as cheap entertainment and fake exposure from a witty, streetwise, fast-talking hipster earning his keep.

They say "funny is money" so it's kept pretty light, I joke at my own expense a lot, and I wrap it up with a really heartfelt thanks to the audience as part of the last hat line.

Hope this is of more value than just a list of trick names.

Feb 24, 2013
England
Number one, prove me wrong. So far all you've done is list a bunch of effects bereft of any context or presentation, claim you're also a mentalist, and get all snippy with people when they don't give you a list of products. None of which is anything new to me, so please try to understand my exasperation. I've seen a hundred guys just like this before, and you won't be the last.

Number two, that does not answer my question. What would you do with the knowledge of my routines and scripts? Dodge the question one more time, and I will go ahead and assume you just want to steal other people's routines. You've refused to disclose your own scripting and you've gotten testy with people for not complying with your demands. The writing is on the wall.

If this is what you think, then I'll make now attempt to prove you wrong. I can only hope that the trick I'm planning to release on the wire in 6 months-1 year and a half will show you what magic means to me.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
If this is what you think, then I'll make now attempt to prove you wrong. I can only hope that the trick I'm planning to release on the wire in 6 months-1 year and a half will show you what magic means to me.

No matter how skilled you are, you can still be very much a beginner. What I believe Steerpike was referring to was your attitude as a magician. You still seem to be approaching magic as a beginner. By this I mean you don't seem to be paying much attention to the fluency or presentation of a routine, the scripting. Alas, perhaps I am wrong. Regardless, that is not the important thing to thinking about here, as many of the posters have much, much more experience than you or I, and have given some fairly good advice you should try and learn from. It's much easier for someone with large amounts of experience to see a question on here, and give the poster the answer they need, not necessarily the answer they were looking for.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
It's like one band asking another one what songs they should play; Radiohead will tell you to play 'Karma Police' because it kills. Miles Davis will tell you to play 'So What' - it brings down the house every night. Bob Marley would suggest 'Redemption Song' because it's a show stopper. They are all right for themselves, and wrong for the others.

This is an excellent analogy. Well said.

Sep 1, 2007

I don't give a damn about the Wire. Haven't bought a single thing off of it, likely never will. I'm not the target market. I'm a penny pinching minimalist mentalist. I'm not interested in buying anymore tricks. Now I buy systems. On top of that, within 6 months I will have completely forgotten this entire conversation. So if this whole, "I'll show you! I'll show you all!" attitude is the best you can do, I think we're done here.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't understand the mentality of trying to one up a faceless person on the internet.. You don't get anything out it. It's like saying you just one upped a brick wall. It's still going to be there and it's still going to continue being a brick wall.

What you really want to do is just ignore people on the internet and focus on improving yourself. Who cares if Steerpike or some other guy on a random unknown message board doesn't agree with what you are saying. At the end the day, it's not going to change anything if they do start agreeing with you.

But, if you really want to "prove how much magic means to you.". Then here is a hint. Log off, and go focus on your own stuff.

Feb 24, 2013
England
I don't understand the mentality of trying to one up a faceless person on the internet.. You don't get anything out it. It's like saying you just one upped a brick wall. It's still going to be there and it's still going to continue being a brick wall.

What you really want to do is just ignore people on the internet and focus on improving yourself. Who cares if Steerpike or some other guy on a random unknown message board doesn't agree with what you are saying. At the end the day, it's not going to change anything if they do start agreeing with you.

But, if you really want to "prove how much magic means to you.". Then here is a hint. Log off, and go focus on your own stuff.

Although that's probably the wisest thing to do, I wont do it. I won't just simply give up. But I will however try not to reply to anything else he posts.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results