Who Has Assisted David Copperfield Onstage?

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited due to the amazing responses and assistance I have received here... you guys are awesome! Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I really shouldn't be mentioning this in here. As a disclaimer I was a stupid kid in high school who wanted to impress his friends and I do not condone this type of behavior at any theatrical event.

I've never been asked on stage but the second time I watched Copperfield live I "helped out" (at least that's what I convinced myself I was doing). Before the show I bet my friends that I could ask Copperfield to repeat a trick and that he would. None of them believed me of course and we sat down and watched the show. As the show got going I prepared myself. Some where in the middle he began to do "Slo-Mo-Duck" like I knew he would. He did it the last time I saw him live and on a couple different you tube clips every time a bit differently but always with the same audience interaction. He finished the first phase I cleared my throat and as soon as he asked "any questions?" I blurted out very clearly, from the back of the theater "Do it again!". I was surprised at how clear I said it and how loudly it resonated in the auditorium. My friends all looked at me like I was crazy but to their amazement David played back, like he had every time on you tube and before. Not wanting to push my luck I let the stage hand yell out the rest "In slow motion!" "You can do it!". I'll never do it again and I forbid anyone from trying it but the reaction from my friends and the crowd around me was priceless.

I'll never forgive myself, that once I was that dweeby magician at the magic show. I hereby apologize to Copperfield's creative team and all those involved, especially that stage hand who when his cue came thought "Hey, that was my line!"

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
My parents once took me to see David Copperfield at the hippidrome theatre in baltimore and he was fantastic, but i didnt get called up to assist.
however, since you did mention the thing about the 13 people vanishing, I saw him do it and the 13 people reappeared behind me-literaly i could touch them i was that close, and i didnt even hear them or see them until david pointed towards me. at first I thought he was pointing at me, and got all confused, but then I turned around.

hehe

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Couple months ago, Chris Kenner texts me "Are you going to the show? There's going to be media today". I make it to the show, I bring my girlfriend, my dad, and my friend Alexander Straub.

I get to the theatre and I wave to Dan White, Calen Morelli, B. Smith, Blake Vogt, and Patrick Kun. I'm super excited. CK mentioned that David might be calling me up on stage to do something. Halfway through the show, when David performs the scorpion trick, he usually invites 2 girls on stage, 1 of which shuffles the deck. The 2 get called up, and David spots us sitting in the front row - dead center. He points out and says "Would someone please come up and shuffle the deck?". I hesitate. "Would the gentleman in the front please come up and shuffle the cards?" I was almost certain at that point he was referring to me but I didn't want to jump the gun so I wait a bit longer. Then I hear "Andrei get over here" ha!

I scramble my way through the audience and David hands me his deck and says "Shuffle it". I cautiously shuffle as any lay person would. He says "Come on show us something fancy". I nod and bust out a 30-45 second routine, starting with a spring. Great reaction, audience applause, I look at David and he says, "Showoff".

I'll never forget that night, I could see my dad tearing up when I came back to my seat, he was proud. Even though I dropped a few cards and was pretty nervous, I would love to do it again someday. After the performance, we all meet up backstage and he says, "I know those cards are ancient, they suck! Next time, we'll use newer cards!"

A big thank you to Chris and the rest of the gang for the opportunity. :)

Reactions: Elok
I wouldnt necessarilly say you were doing a bad thing by shouting out a line that was meant to be shouted out anyway, Ive done that before back when he was doing the death saw by shouting out "Move your feet!" before his stage hand could. No big deal, plus like you, in a way I got to be an "unofficial" part of the show. There were even parts of the show where he'd do an effect where there would normally be applause & there was none, so I was the "applause starter."

& in another case, I helped make a moment funnier while at the same time getting DCs attention. When he was doing the baby effect, when he says "I need someone from the audience to have my baby.", usually he just says "Put your hand down sir.", but when I was there, before he could say that, I stood up from my chair so he'd see me, so he says "Sit down, sir." & of course, the audience laughed. & at that same show, being that I was seated at the end of the row, I stood up & gave him a high 5 as he ran back down the aisle after reappearing back from Hawaii in "Portal".

But I would DEFINETELY not recommend just heckling for the heck of it & shouting & screaming just for the attention, that wouldnt be proper theater etiquette, or worse, doing anything that would sabatage or compromise the safety of the show. For example, I've heard of people that try & get him to autograph something while he's roaming through the crowd trying to get a volunteer, that's a DEFINITE no no, or using flash photography & blinding him or his staff & potentially causing an accident.

Sep 27, 2014
I have been lucky enough to assist DC on two seperate occasions.

Two years ago a friend and I attended his show at MGM. We purchased VIP tickets so that we could have our picture taken with him and also because I *incorrectly* assumed this would increase my chances of getting picked. We had great seats down front but as the show progressed I watched my chance of getting picked dwindle. Little did I realize that the best chance would come last during "thirteen". For those who don't know he tosses giant excercise balls into the audience to select people for this trick. Since I was so close I tried to catch his eye so he would send one my way. To my delight I caught one and was ushered up on stage for the trick. Along with 11 or so other people ( thirteen does not always use 13 people as I subsequently learned)I vanished from a raised platform and appeared at the back of the theatre. We were then given a briefing by the crew and had a very quick thank you from DC.

I was delighted by this experience and returned to the show in August with different friends. At this particular show DC came to our table and performed a tissue and rose trick with a different audience member. It was great to see that up close. When it came time for 13 again I was hoping that my friend would get picked. To my suprise the balls landed in our hands again without an active effort and after offering mine to several people we made our way up to the stage.

At this point a few other audience members got in between my friend and I and I lost track of her as I was helped up and told to stand in the front facing the audience. As the setup progressed I saw them bump her to the side as an observer. I wished I could trade with her but it was obviously out of our control. This time I was seated in the back row of chairs and there were empty's on either side so I wondered why they had not used my friend as it had been full the Last time.

After the show was over I told the stagehand I had done the trick before and asked why it wasn't full this time. Without divulging... It's basically that not everyone is " suitable" and my friend was told she was bumped for wearing a short dress. ;-)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results