What is the best marked deck?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Get the Ultimate Marked Deck. Open the deck and look for the markings. After a half an hour, give up and read the instruction card and smile at how beautiful this deck is.

While you are at it, get Kirk Charles' book Hidden in Plain Sight. You Pick My Card is one of the best pieces of magic I've performed with cards.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
While you are at it, get Kirk Charles' book Hidden in Plain Sight. You Pick My Card is one of the best pieces of magic I've performed with cards.
I was meaning to ask you about that trick. I believe I've seen that somewhere else but I can't remember where. I have a method in mind that's why I wanted to know if it was in print somewhere else.

And I've used two types of marked decks. One that's a DIY mark that's hard to find. And The Code, which is also hard to find if you have no idea what you're looking for but also devilishly brilliant. I'm going to use it for the rest of my life.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
GT Speedreader or The Code from T11. Anything else is pointless compared to those 2

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I was meaning to ask you about that trick. I believe I've seen that somewhere else but I can't remember where. I have a method in mind that's why I wanted to know if it was in print somewhere else.

Send me a PM with your thoughts.

GT Speedreader or The Code from T11. Anything else is pointless compared to those 2

The problem with GT Speedreader is that it is a Mandolin deck. The problem with The Code is you can't shuffle the deck. Also, I'm also not sure if it comes in Rider Back. The card markings on the Ultimate Marked Deck very similar to The Code but are a little more deceptive. To do any effects The Code does, you just need to learn a stack like Mnenonica.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Though it's full potential is reached when it's in stack there is nothing stopping you from shuffling it and using it as a regular marked deck.

Sorry, I was a little vague. I should have said that The Code doesn't provide any advantage over a typical marked deck if it is shuffled.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
The ultimate marked deck is just a marked deck. Both it and The Code are marked, roughly the same price, but the Code is way better to read and it has more uses so why would you buy the ultimate marked deck if they are around the same price? You can do more with The Code. It tells you mneumonica. It is better.

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
So am I. Practical advice with value is what people want. Especially new people. I also help you guys (T11) when people are leaking your stuff on social media.

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
I personally have trouble reading the Mint Deck (maybe I just need more practice) but the cards are nice.
The DMC elites are incredibly easy to read once you know the system but my favorite is the Kings deck from E. It takes a bit to learn the system but it's nearly undetectable. :D

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The ultimate marked deck is just a marked deck. Both it and The Code are marked, roughly the same price, but the Code is way better to read and it has more uses so why would you buy the ultimate marked deck if they are around the same price? You can do more with The Code. It tells you mneumonica. It is better.

I guess my post above wasn't clear. My understanding is that you can't get The Code in Rider Back and that is a deal breaker for me. I love Andy's work and think that The Code is diabolical. If it was in Rider Back, I'd agree with you that it would be the better choice. I like the symbols on the UMD slightly better than the letters on The Code, but that isn't determinative.

I think you will find, if you listen, that @RealityOne is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people in the forums.

Thanks Lyle.

Reactions: OEastman
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I personally have trouble reading the Mint Deck (maybe I just need more practice) but the cards are nice.
The DMC elites are incredibly easy to read once you know the system but my favorite is the Kings deck from E. It takes a bit to learn the system but it's nearly undetectable. :D
If you haven't seen it yet, check out the "EDGE 52" Course on 52kards.com
It has the basis for the whole marking system, along with a lot of other things. Asad shows you the skills he uses to read the deck, and it helped me a lot. Basically, you just need to take a couple glances and then look away, letting your mind process it. It's that easy, but Asad explains it better than me.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
There are plenty of good marked decks out there. The MINT decks by 52Kards is my favorite, but I also like the Kings by E. I've also heard great things about David Blaine's White Lions.

You could also get a reader. The Ultimate Marked deck, the Red Keepers, and the Vintage 1800's marked deck by E are all great readers, and there are plenty more out there.

There are a few decks out there that were made to function like a non-marked deck, but have a built in design that can be Marked. I can only think of David Blaine's Split Spades and Daniel Madison's Hellions (hopefully out soon) off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are many more.

However, I do think the greatest marked deck is one you make your self. You can come up with your own marking system, which is what I reccomend, or use one already made. There is the classic Bicycle Marking System, which you can find almost anywhere on the internet. However, you can buy videos/texts on marking systems other Magicians have made. The Blood Marking System by DM is a great example.

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
My understanding is that you can't get The Code in Rider Back and that is a deal breaker for me. I love Andy's work and think that The Code is diabolical. If it was in Rider Back, I'd agree with you that it would be the better choice.
Funny story, only after I bought The Code did I realize it wasn't a Rider Back deck. I didn't notice even though I handle a deck of cards literally every day. They are as close to a standard pack of Rider Backs as you can get and no one will ever EVER notice that they are Maidens.

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results