CoinOne and CoinTwo question

Aug 31, 2007
California
I'm interested in purchasing both of these with that new deal Homer has on his website. However, now that I know it doesn't come with the gimmicks, I'd like to ask how many shells would I need to purchased to perform both of these successfully. Also, I'm looking for decent, cheap half dollar shells. Where can I get some for a good price, and good quality? Thanks.

-Remy

Sep 15, 2007
You need one to do both routines but, there are versions on the videos that do not use a gimmick.
It is your choice.

Remember you only need one for both routines as Homer does them ....and he also teaches how to do Cointwo called c2.1 without a gimmick. On coinone "the Deep " is taught by Chris Kenner and it is gimmickless.
Enjoy,
Snorri

Aug 31, 2007
California
Snorri, thanks for the help. I'm also wondering now, where can I get just an individual good kennedy half dollar shell, for a good price?

Aug 31, 2007
If you are getting a Kennedy half shell (non-silver years), go with Johnson. It's very good quality and not too expensive. Plus, if this is your first time with shell work, don't practice with your custom made gaffs. You'll really hate yourself if you ding up your shell.

Sep 1, 2007
coinTwo isnt that good looking with a half dollar shell

actually, its also easier with a full silver dollar shell

coinOne, on the other hand, looks bad with a half dollar shell, but the big coins are annoying at first to handle. but the trick is almost impossible to do with alf dollars

so, to sum it all up, you need a silver dollar shell and coins, half dollars wont cut it

Aug 31, 2007
California
Well I would like to use silver dollars, but sadly now I don't have any at my disposal. Plus, I'm a little low on cash, so I only have enough to buy CoinOne and CoinTwo and one shell. Unless, of course, I find a source for cheap Morgans. Can anyone help me out on where to get cheap silver dollars?

Aug 31, 2007
Silver dollars won't be cheap to come across. Silver prices are pretty high and even garbage quality Morgans go for around 20 dollars, unfortunately.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I read on the Penguin Forums that quite recently, one of the members there got Morgans at his local coin shop for about $12.50 a piece.

Aug 31, 2007
California
yeah, I know what you mean. I'm saving up money though - just handling Morgans must be lovely. :p Dang really? That's really cheap.

Dec 2, 2007
Don't know about the silver dollars (the eternal quest) but you can get a pretty cheap, high quality, Johnson shell here:

I second Chicken's comment. Start with something inexpensive. You may find that the routines simply "are not you" so why waste money on the Rolls Royce of coin gimmick sets only to have the coins sit in a drawer. However (If you fall in love with the routines) you will find that while it may only take a few days to memorize the "series of moves" it will take quite a while to make them look *magical*.

During the training process start saving your money. If you are able to put back $20 a week you will have enough money in approximately 4 months. If you find that you are *still* in love with the routines in 4 months, go ahead and buy the expensive gimmicks. If you find that you are no longer practicing the routines you are better off spending your savings on something else.

Also, dropping a gimmicked coin can damage it, so better to practice (on carpet) with something inexpensive at first. Ike's also "talk", so the first production of CoinTwo will have to be slightly modified to be noiseless. CoinOne has no such problem.

Working with Ike's will also let you discover if dollar sized coins are a good fit for your hands. Don't be afraid of performing CoinOne or CoinTwo with half dollar sized coins if you have smaller hands or a limited budget.

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
California
I second Chicken's comment. Start with something inexpensive. You may find that the routines simply "are not you" so why waste money on the Rolls Royce of coin gimmick sets only to have the coins sit in a drawer. However (If you fall in love with the routines) you will find that while it may only take a few days to memorize the "series of moves" it will take quite a while to make them look *magical*.

During the training process start saving your money. If you are able to put back $20 a week you will have enough money in approximately 4 months. If you find that you are *still* in love with the routines in 4 months, go ahead and buy the expensive gimmicks. If you find that you are no longer practicing the routines you are better off spending your savings on something else.

Also, dropping a gimmicked coin can damage it, so better to practice (on carpet) with something inexpensive at first. Ike's also "talk", so the first production of CoinTwo will have to be slightly modified to be noiseless. CoinOne has no such problem.

Working with Ike's will also let you discover if dollar sized coins are a good fit for your hands. Don't be afraid of performing CoinOne or CoinTwo with half dollar sized coins if you have smaller hands or a limited budget.

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm beginning to get really opened up to the coin magic community. Thanks everyone for the advice.

-Remy

Dec 2, 2007
they also sell troy hoosers shellraiser dvd that come with a shell http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10393 i dont know how good the shell is though

I believe the "free" Shellraiser shell is the same as the one that Nathan Kranzo sells.

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/ultra-versatile-shell

Can't beat the price of $15, or two for $20, but according to this post on another forum site:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=248977&forum=202

...these shells are stamped from metal and not made from actual coins. They only come in "tails".

...and here is the post which makes me believe that this is the Shellraiser shell:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=255631&forum=218

Hope this helps,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Aug 31, 2007
California
Thanks again ThisOneGoesTo11, That helps a lot. I'm also wondering, does CoinOne really use only one shell, or two? Because I'm watching the video over and over again...and if it only uses one that's incredible. :p

Sep 1, 2007
only one

and who says you need morgans?

get an the eisenhour silver dollar (im sure i spelt that wrong)
you can get it for a dollar at a bank...

Dec 2, 2007
get an the eisenhour silver dollar (im sure i spelt that wrong)
you can get it for a dollar at a bank...

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can get Ike dollars coins at banks anymore.

Currently there are two $1 coins; the Sacagawea $1 coin and now the "Presidential" $1 coins.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm

Both are a similar size to the Susan B. Anthony $1 coins (larger than a quarter, but smaller than half dollars).

You will usually have good luck at a coin shop obtaining Ike dollars. While you are there I invite you to take a tour of their other (junk silver) offerings, such as:

• Morgans Silver Dollars - When soft (i.e. worn smooth) these are ultra quiet. Great for 3 Fly and the ungimmicked version of CoinTwo (when using larger coins).
  • 1964 Kennedy Halves - Very bright coins, usually with great milling, so excellent for classic palming. Usually not soft at all, so they talk quite a bit.
  • Walking Liberty Halves - These are usually semi-soft, so they are quieter than Kennedy's. Milling is usually worn quite a bit.
  • Barber Halves - Beautiful coins. Usually worn smooth (in junk silver at least) so they are ultra quiet. Virtually no milling left. Great for edge-grip work, Kenner's Unicoin, ungimmicked CoinOne (a.k.a. "The Deep"), ungimmicked CoinTwo (when using smaller coins).

This image shows the milling differences. On the top is a junk silver '64 Kennedy, in the middle is a semi-soft 1943 Walking Liberty, on the bottom is a 1915 soft Barber.

2522276492_bf1157674f.jpg

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 24, 2007
There is no such thing as an eisenhower silver dollar. Ikes only come clad.
I believe the only silver dollars are the morgan silver dollars, peace dollars, and silver eagle dollars.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results