Why Magic Works Around the Globe...

Mar 27, 2008
I have been thinking about why magic works lately. Why we can amaze people with simplest of sleights. You can go to Spain and these same sleights and effects work. You can then go to Africa and it still works. Many times you never have to say a word. Why is this? I have come up with my answer but I wanted to know what your thoughts were.

Magic works around the globe because it uses logic against us. Around the world, people operate on the universal laws of logic. (if a then not b, if be then not a....if a=b and b=c then a=c, etc) Magic exploits these laws that are ingrained in us. If we didn't assume that the ace of spades in the right hand will stay the same unless changed we wouldn't be impressed. If we didn't make the assumption that a coin placed in a pocket will not move unless someone takes it out....we wouldn't be suprised. It is the universal laws of logic that make magic work, that allow us to astound, confound, and wow our audiences.

This begs one question and an observation:

1. Where did the universal laws of logic come from?

2. Never do magic for small babies or crazy people. They won't get it.

Oct 25, 2007
Eh.....WHAT???????:confused:

Just Kidding. Very interesting insight there. In simpler terms, it's the ability to make what people perceive as impossible become possible that allows us to astonish.

Just a thought!!!

Oct 16, 2007
Hmm, interesting. Do you take the IB course by any chance and have done ToK? Lol, we talk about these kinds of things all the time in ToK.

Mar 27, 2008
hmmmm...interesting

I have done magic for people who perceive the world differently. They understand just fine, just in their own way. They end up amazed in the end, nonetheless.

Sorry, I made the joke with the assumption that a crazy person doesn't understand the universal laws of logic. However, many people that have an imbalance still operate based on the laws of logic. They may have altered perceptions of the world around them, but they still deal with those perceptions based on the universal laws of logic. Even a person who has hallucinations tries to deal with their world based on the laws of logic...that is why they are adversly effected by it. They wonder how they can hear a voice but can't see someone.....see someone one second and the next they are gone with no rational explanation as to why.

Anyway, don't want to delve too deep into logic or mental illnesses. Just thought it was an interesting concept that we use logic to set people up to be amazed.

It doesn't lessen the art at all. Magic is still very much a performance art that can be done as intricately or as simply as any good stage play. (Yes, I was a theatre major in college) It is up to the performer themselves to make each artistic choice creating an experience that draws the audience in and gives them no choice but to stay and enjoy the ride.

Dec 13, 2007
Thats one of the things i love about magic

Its so powerful it even transcends language barriers...

I'm quite the traveler... and when i go to different countries i like to perform for the natives there, and i'm smiling and laughing with i guy who i just met, don't know, and cant even speak to

Everyone around the world perceives magic in a different way, but its all the same principle ... He just did something that i would consider to be impossible

Logic in Magic...

Logic in magic is esential. I found this is media and it perfectly displays the type of logic used in magic. http://media.theory11.com/1101-AwareNess

This shows how easy it is for someone to skip right over a secret move and believe they were watching carefully.

Read this Sentence out loud:

A penny saved is a
a penny earned.

Many people missed something essential when reading this. they most likely thought that because a 4 year old could read the sentence it was easy. However, they missed something secret hidden there. That is what people do. they watch magic and think that it will be easy to figure out so they actually underestimate it and don't look as hard. Thus, making them overlook key points at which there is a secret.

I will not reveal what the sectret was in that sentence.. If you want to know what is hidden in that sentence, then you can PM me and I'll gladly share it with you.

Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results