Classic Pass Question - Not Invisible Pass

Oct 16, 2007
Hey guys!

When doing the classic pass, what happens if someone sees you do the pass? I mean with the invisible pass, it's pretty hard to spot when done correctly. I have a lot of trouble concealing the pass, so I thought I'd rather go for the normal classic pass.

So my question is, what do I do if someone sees me do the pass? Would it be a bad thing, or would they thing of it as just cutting the deck?

Thanks

Feb 28, 2008
My pass has never been detected before. There are a few things I do to have it not get noticed.

1) Misdirection - I usually ask the spectator a question, look for eye contact, and then pass. The pass just takes a second and they won't notice a thing.

2) I often tilt my hand backwards when passing so the movement of the pass is disguised.

3) Riffle pass... it's pretty much the same as the classic pass, but it hides a bit and comes off pretty natural.

Have you been caught passing before? If so, maybe you just need to build up some speed... if not, I think it's mostly in your head as my pass isn't even that good and no one's ever called me on it.

Reactions: KaviruG
Oct 16, 2007
Nah it's not that I've been caught, probably because I don't really perform as much since IB takes a hellload of my free time. It's just that when I do it in the mirror I can pretty much see what's happening, but that's probably since I know the method. I want to utilize this move since it IS a great move to have in one's repertoire, but I just wanted to know if anyone's been caught doing it and advice on how to make it less detectable.

Oct 16, 2007
In a variety of tricks, but mostly used in sandwich routines. I've found other methods to use instead of a pass, but I DO want to use it since it would probably be good in my repertoire.

I would refer you to better sources of learning the pass. I don't know whats the "Invisible Pass" is, as the one I know by this name is a Hermann pass by Fred Braue ... ( booklet at www.lybrary.com )

Anyways, Card College, Richard Kaufman's DVD, Gary Ouellet's book, are great sources to learn from. Especially the last one, as it teaches the analysis of the pass in an extremely detailed fashion.

Ramana, the riffle pass hides the sound more than hiding the actual action.

If someone sees you doing the pass, then they think they did something ( " I know you did something but I don't know what is it" kind of thing ) which makes the trick you're doing pretty much solved in their mind ( they believe that they solved it once they noticed something ).

Please, please, please, the pass as well as in all sleights and effects in magic, practice hard to do them well so they are kept as secrets. The pass in particular is not the easiest move, and it takes a very long time to perfect. Finding a mentor would decrease the learining curve quite a bit.

~ Feras

I would refer you to better sources of learning the pass. I don't know whats the "Invisible Pass" is, as the one I know by this name is a Hermann pass by Fred Braue ... ( booklet at www.lybrary.com )

Anyways, Card College, Richard Kaufman's DVD, Gary Ouellet's book, are great sources to learn from. Especially the last one, as it teaches the analysis of the pass in an extremely detailed fashion.

Ramana, the riffle pass hides the sound more than hiding the actual action.

If someone sees you doing the pass, then they think they did something ( " I know you did something but I don't know what is it" kind of thing ) which makes the trick you're doing pretty much solved in their mind ( they believe that they solved it once they noticed something ).

Please, please, please, the pass as well as in all sleights and effects in magic, practice hard to do them well so they are kept as secrets. The pass in particular is not the easiest move, and it takes a very long time to perfect. Finding a mentor would decrease the learining curve quite a bit.

~ Feras

You're turning into a Jordan Lapping! (In a good way)

May 29, 2008
Australia
Mirrors are a magicians best friend when practicing

You're turning into a Jordan Lapping! (In a good way)

When u practice the pass or any move use a mirror and see what ur doing so u can adjust angles and get comfortable knowing if u cant see it well then in peformace speed they got no hope.... Also always misdirect them like poeple have said in this forum by pausing asking a question and while talking do it cause it looks natural and they have there eyes up at u not at the deck.... Remember its such a great move because ya only need the slightest bit of misdirection to suck em in...... hope this helps anyone with the pass

Other controls

I do understand the reason for practicing the classic pass. It really is the ultimate card control. But if your pass fails to be deceptive there is no other suggestion then to keep on working on it and use other means of control in your performances. Don´t forget that the pass is a difficult move and it takes long time to perfect for anybody. Have patience, it´s one of those moves that simply come to you one day when you least expect it;)
And.. what do you do when the pass goes wrong? What do you do when anything goes wrong?:) improvise! Good luck!

May 26, 2008
I used to use the pass A LOT, and I was only ever called on it once... and that was because someone saw the break I was holding. I then executed an invisible pass and said "what break?" They saw no break, and didn't bother me anymore about that. Anyway, if you really want to learn the pass right, pick up "Pass with Care." I own it, great DVD, it will teach you everything you need to know. It will even teach you how to perform the pass surrounded, which after some practice I was able to do no problem. Remember, the pass takes a split-second to perform...all you need is for them to look away from your hands for one second, and you're done. Ask them a question, make a joke, explain to them the trick, but make them look away from your hands. If they are burning your hands, do not do the pass. Even the invisible pass. It won't work. Anyway, good luck with the pass.

I do understand the reason for practicing the classic pass. It really is the ultimate card control.
There is no such thing as ultimate card control :)

The pass is basically an invisible cut. If you're looking for a good invisible control then there are many of them in magic. The Side Steal is a very good move with very good angles depending on the version you're doing. Other moves like one card pass ( Card College, Ken Krenzel, Control Freak DVD, Erdnase ) fit the job nicely. Do note that you should consider this if you're a specilized card guy! If you're doing general magic as a whole, considering one control is usually sufficient.

Its known in magic that if the trick "flows", then the trick is very well constructed. Every control has ups and downs, you use the one depending on the trick you're doing. The Pass is an elegant move that has many uses other sleights ( side steal or others ), say you have a break above 2 cards, the best way to bring them both to the top is the pass. This is just one of the uses.

There are many effects in which the pass is not used as a control, but rather as a secret cut, examples include all effects in Richard Kaufman's DVD, and many others.

So, if you find the pass difficult and you want to perform magic where the type of the control doesn't matter, you might want to look into the side steal, and consider learning the pass later as you go in magic more.

For the side steal, there are many good sources, if you prefer a DVD then Paul Cummin's has a side steal DVD out, there is a preview to watch too.

Hope this helps :)

word marking...

Perfectly executed invisible pass is as close as one can get to a ultimate control. Is that a more correct statement? Yes, there are billions of different controls but no one equals purity of the pass.. And why does every magic discussion end up being philosophical?

Perfectly executed invisible pass is as close as one can get to a ultimate control. Is that a more correct statement? Yes, there are billions of different controls but no one equals purity of the pass.. And why does every magic discussion end up being philosophical?
Whats philosophical about it? We're talking practical things here. Here's an example.

4 aces on top of the deck, and a break above the selection. How can you bring the selection on top of the deck, with the aces still on top? Side steal is better than the pass for this.

4 aces in middle of the deck, you have a break above them. How can you bring them to the top? The pass is the best option for this.

You have a card outjogged, how can bring it to the bottom? You can get a break, pause while holding the break, then do the pass. Or you can directly do a diagonal palm shift with no pauses of any kind. Both are effective, its up to you to pick which one to use.

I now wonder what does "purity" of the pass mean?

Don't get me wrong, the pass is a great control once you got it down. But Ultimate Control? I would really, really know what does that mean?

To keep the record straight, I'm a pass freak.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results