Tips on the Pirouette Flourish, please?

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Hi.

I've been dieing to do this flourish for a long time. I did find the T-11 vid on it, (Thanks, guys!) but I still can't get this to work. It's like a lawnmower. It will start then stop. Or when I lift my thumb the card just wants to fall.

I realize that I'll need more practice, but are there any more tips?

Thanks for the help.

Aug 31, 2007
before spinning the card, balance it on your thumb. (not every time though) then when you spin it don't move your spinner finger (the finger that spins the card/normally the index) back and forth a lot. For one, it doesn't look as good, and it may move the card off a good balance point on your finger.

Other than that, practice. It can be a pretty knacky move.

hope this helped

Apr 22, 2008
Id say practice it with bikes (cards) ..... put your thumb above the lil circle in the middle and then your middle finger under it. and then when the card is balanced use your index finger to spin it clockwise ... also if you want to you can like your fingers and then rub them against your shirt/pants.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Thank you all so much. With your advice, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. If you have more tips, please post. I can use all the help I can get. :)

Sep 1, 2007
use brand new cards they will spin hella long.

also whem making the finger motion do a very sudden flick try not to make a long movement but a short, quick motion to start the spin and let the spinning fingers go immediately!

Aug 31, 2007
California
I tend to rub the card a little bit between my middle finger and thumb to get a little bit of perspiration, or whatever to get my finger to stick to the card a bit better. Then, when I kick out, I give the spinning card as much leeway as I can as to not stop the motion. And just practice a lot...I got it after about two weeks pretty smoothly.

If you want, you can use your ring finger to spin the card instead of your index finger, I can't do it the index finger way, it just feels weird and doesnt work. If balance is your problem though, work on just finding the balance point on your finger. It's a knacky thing, but eventually you'll just instinctivly find the balance point by feel so you can adapt to even oddly weighted things like credit cards where one side is heavier than the other and such :)

Sep 17, 2007
Uh, if you are having difficulty getting the card to stay on your fingers during the flourish, try starting out practicing by doing the move with your wrist and thumb in a straight line. I believe in the videos that you may have seen people do it kinda casually on the table, in mid air and all that, but to start, keep your hand and wrist in a straight line and hold your hand downwards. (I'm not really sure how to explain this, hope its vivid enough). Essentially when you don't bend your wrist, you minimize the chances of you accidentally tilting/twisting your hand halfway through the flourish and causing the card to drop. Once you get a good feel of the balance needed for the card to keep spinning, take your time to try it at different heights and angles, and sooner or later you'll be spinning da bomb away with the cards.

With regards to the actual spinning, take trashman's advice. I had problem getting it to spin at the start because I was actually trying to use my finger to "follow through" with the spin and I was scared to let the card go. Once you've flicked the card, fluidly (but not suddenly) get your thumb out of the way and move your middle finger away from your palm. If you keep your thumb there there's going to be a lot of friction on the top of the card and you'll get a rather half-hearted spin from the card. If you don't move your fingers away from your palm, the card will spin one round, hit the inner side of your palm, then drop.

Happy learning!

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
at first i lost alot of momentum in the action of letting go. so i just loosened up my grip with my thumb and index finger and eventually i got it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results