Camcorders

Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys.

I really need a camcorder, but I have no knowledge about them.

So yeah just PM me if you can help. Thanks.

Btw sorry I didn't know where to put this thread. :confused:

-Max

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I've been using a Canon ZR800 for about a year now. The quality is decent, but the sound is terrible. It cost about $499 or so. If you want something with epic quality then look into HD. Next week I'll be purchasing a Sony HDRSR5, which is a High Def. Camcorder. It costs just over $1000.

Depends what he wants to do with it. I despise watching things that were filmed on a DC.

Mitch

Haha. Yeah, DC's are crap. For the money, MiniDV is going to be your best bet. It's universal, relatively cheap, and easy to transport.

My suggestion, JVC, Sony, or Canon takes the bag for cameras.

Indymogul.com's forums has a sticky on camcorders. Thats a good start. Try to find something with a Hot Shoe and a microphone input. It will save you years of headaches.

I know me and the other Mitch are members there and I'll tell ya, the information there is invaluable. Learned so much about cameras there.

Sorry to advertise like that but, check it out and you'll see.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy

Haha. Yeah, DC's are crap. For the money, MiniDV is going to be your best bet. It's universal, relatively cheap, and easy to transport.

My suggestion, JVC, Sony, or Canon takes the bag for cameras.

Indymogul.com's forums has a sticky on camcorders. Thats a good start. Try to find something with a Hot Shoe and a microphone input. It will save you years of headaches.

I know me and the other Mitch are members there and I'll tell ya, the information there is invaluable. Learned so much about cameras there.

Sorry to advertise like that but, check it out and you'll see.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy
Go IM! :p

I PMed the OP, but I'll post what I said here in case anyone else is interested in the subject.

For a great HD picture, I would recommend picking up a Canon HV20 or HV30. They are rather cheap camcorders (600-1000) that deliver professional quality images.

If you are just filming magic or fun short films check out this video: http://www.indymogul.com/weekend-ext.../IMWE_20071221 for great tips on which camcorders to go for.

HD doesn't always deliver better images that SD. It really depends on the amount of money you're willing to spend.

Let me know if you need any thing else!

Mitch

Awesome thread,

Really interested to hear what you all use actually.

I use a JVC Everio GZ-MG77 HDD Camcorder.

sc001.jpg

Really light, no need for disc's or tapes etc.

But im looking at upgrading again.

From memory it cost me around the 2k mark.

Fairly decent quality, great storage etc the only thing it lacks is the Input of a Microphone. Though the sound capture is great, it makes it difficult to seperate the sounds so that is something I would recommend looking for.

Will be upgrading in a couple of weeks, will let you know what I buy then :)

Matty

What would you guys recommend?

Under 3k.

Mike.

Good quality sound and image.

Capable of different len's etc.

Dont care if it is HDD or takes tapes etc. What ever.

Much love.
x
Under 3k? Definitely the Panasonic DVX100B it would be the best bang for your buck. It has XLR inputs already built in so that's definitely a plus. Now if you're willing to exceed your budget a bit I'd definitely go for the Canon XH A1. It's a beautiful camcorder with absolutely fantastic results :).

Now Blink, you want to loan me 3k? I can't promise you I'll pay you back but I'll send you monthly payments of old glucose tablets if that's alright with you.

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Under 3k? Definitely the Panasonic DVX100B it would be the best bang for your buck. It has XLR inputs already built in so that's definitely a plus. Now if you're willing to exceed your budget a bit I'd definitely go for the Canon XH A1. It's a beautiful camcorder with absolutely fantastic results :).

Now Blink, you want to loan me 3k? I can't promise you I'll pay you back but I'll sent you monthly payments of old glucose tablets if that's alright with you.

Mitch
No problems at all, might need to go for the XH-A1.

Budget isnt really a worry, I just thought 3k was fair reasonable.

Yeah mate, sending the money through now. Only issue is, I work for a bank. And we know the sort of fees we charge ;) haha.

Oh god! I want a Canon XH A1 Like you wouldn't believe.

That is by far the best HD camcorder out now. Until the XL H1 comes out. :D

But if you don't want HD, Go with a GL2 or a XL1. For about 1.5 to 2k, best bang for the buck without having to know too too much about cameras.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy

Oh god! I want a Canon XH A1 Like you wouldn't believe.

That is by far the best HD camcorder out now. Until the XL H1 comes out. :D

But if you don't want HD, Go with a GL2 or a XL1. For about 1.5 to 2k, best bang for the buck without having to know too too much about cameras.

Peace,

Mitch.Conroy
If the person is just going to be using the camcorder for magic I wouldn't get an XL1 for the simple fact that it doesn't have an LCD screen. Therefore if the person has the camera on a tripod they won't know where to stand.

I've been seeing some great deals on GL2's, I just picked up a used on for 900$. I think there are other great prices around too :).

Mitch

If the person is just going to be using the camcorder for magic I wouldn't get an XL1 for the simple fact that it doesn't have an LCD screen. Therefore if the person has the camera on a tripod they won't know where to stand.

I've been seeing some great deals on GL2's, I just picked up a used on for 900$. I think there are other great prices around too :).

Mitch

Very true, sir. Very true.

And where did you get a GL2 for that cheap?!?!?!?

Mitch.Conroy

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results