Inquiry regarding video tutorials.

I enjoy teaching, and was interested in your opinions regarding the practicality and ethical implications of the following scenario:

Every week, maybe once a month, I'll make a comprehensive video on a sleight: anything from a DL to a Gambler's Cop to a thumb clip.

My method of teaching delves into different angles, many subtleties I've learned while performing, different handlings. I do not teach effects; I simply demonstrate different methods of effectively performing the sleight.

Something you guys would be interested in?

this is in no way a attack on you personally. but i find it interested in way you or anyone else finds themselves quailified to teach these things. its not so say one is not good, or has not mastered it for themsleves, but to teach others id expect one to have a mastery outside of even the scope they use themsleves. if this is not the case, and you don't have years and years of time test expereince, then what we end up with is a lot of people that only know half of how somthing is done. in the end, you end up doing a diservice.... somthing to think about

this is in no way a attack on you personally. but i find it interested in way you or anyone else finds themselves quailified to teach these things. its not so say one is not good, or has not mastered it for themsleves, but to teach others id expect one to have a mastery outside of even the scope they use themsleves. if this is not the case, and you don't have years and years of time test expereince, then what we end up with is a lot of people that only know half of how somthing is done. in the end, you end up doing a diservice.... somthing to think about

This is in no way on attack on your personally, but I find it interesting how you and many others can't spend an additional few seconds to use proper spelling and grammar on online forums.

That being said, I never stated any qualifications. I have about a year performing magic total, about 6 months of which consisted of impromptu public routines and walk around.

Let me restate what I already said so you can soak it in without being offended and needlessly retaliating:

• I teach simple sleights
  • designed for people who are new to the sleight or having trouble
  • as in depth as possible
I definitely understand your points about doing a disservice, but I definitely don't rush through anything. I teach all that I think would be necessary for the individual to confidently use this sleight with a real performance.

It's simply something I could do to help out the community, I definitely did a lot more teaching during the summertime when school wasn't such a bother.

With enough practice, even a miserable teacher can produce a brilliant student. And I stress practice above anything.

Something to think about...

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is in no way on attack on your personally, but I find it interesting how you and many others can't spend an additional few seconds to use proper spelling and grammar on online forums.

That being said, I never stated any qualifications. I have about a year performing magic total, about 6 months of which consisted of impromptu public routines and walk around.

Let me restate what I already said so you can soak it in without being offended and needlessly retaliating:

• I teach simple sleights
  • designed for people who are new to the sleight or having trouble
  • as in depth as possible
I definitely understand your points about doing a disservice, but I definitely don't rush through anything. I teach all that I think would be necessary for the individual to confidently use this sleight with a real performance.

It's simply something I could do to help out the community, I definitely did a lot more teaching during the summertime when school wasn't such a bother.

With enough practice, even a miserable teacher can produce a brilliant student. And I stress practice above anything.

Something to think about...

Hey, he was raising a perfectly valid concern in a calm and respectful manner, no need to be offended or needlessly retaliate. :p

There are certain sleights which would be ok to teach, others that wouldn't be. Usually people stick to "Classic" sleights, or ones that were published or created a very long time ago. Sleights that can cause no damage if they are taught for free.

For instance: the Charler pass is fine to teach, but the Diving Board Double is not.

But as far as qualifications go. It is entirely possible that you have become good at these sleights in less than 1 year. But to teach a sleight, you should be a master of it, you should know it inside and out, you should know a great many uses for it, and you should know places not to use it. You should be able to improvise a trick using that sleight in any situation. That is mastery. A full conceptual understanding of the sleight, and a full ability to apply the concept.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
UK

I totally agree

It's a nice thing your suggesting and offering though MadNuke, but I don't think you should.
Plus T11 are doing that 1-on-1 thing and so I feel the majority would prefer to have help and input from performers such as Aaron and Wayne etc

I totally agree

It's a nice thing your suggesting and offering though MadNuke, but I don't think you should.
Plus T11 are doing that 1-on-1 thing and so I feel the majority would prefer to have help and input from performers such as Aaron and Wayne etc

joshue barrett said:
my argument is this: why teach somthing you might have only a decent knowledge of when there are resources made by true masters that you can simply guide them to

My intention is to find a happy medium between the 12 year olds who expose countless effects on YouTube, and more expensive products such as DVDs and 1:1. Many younger magicians may not have the means to acquire professional teaching, and many older ones may simply want a resource to see how I perform common, widespread sleights.

My intention is to find a happy medium between the 12 year olds who expose countless effects on YouTube, and more expensive products such as DVDs and 1:1. Many younger magicians may not have the means to acquire professional teaching, and many older ones may simply want a resource to see how I perform common, widespread sleights.

Many professional magicians don't really need a resource teaching sleights. They already have found something that works for them, and don't really need anything new.

To be honest, the only sleights I perform regularly are a DL, top-palm, double undercut, and false shuffles/cuts. Sometimes a pass or 2, but mostly I just do a double undercut. I can assure you, that does not bother laymen at all. I just then do a DL to show it's not their card...

Best.
Steve

card college costs 30ish dollars if kids would rather spend their money on one trick wonders then a resource that will last a lifetime, its not our jobs as magicians to compensate for that. the kids that go to youtube are the same ones that won't practice and perform poorly. i doubt another resource is going to help them.

if someone is really interested they will get/save the money and use it on a resource that they will study for a long period of time rather then searching for "cool card tricks" or whatever on youtube.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
A message to everyone out there!

We have enough of the same stuff. What we want is the new stuff. You got something new, bring it up. This is what this site, this alliance is about. Fresh - for magic, not for you.

Sep 2, 2007
While this sounds like a good idea, I'd be more comfortable with it if it were somebody from the T11 team running the show. Might be a good idea for the 1-on-1 section or something. That section is supposed to be updated today anyway, so I guess we'll see what that's all about, but from the description of the 1-on-1 section, it sounds like that might be exactly what it is, except there would probably be a slight download charge or something for each video.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results