What to you do when people request a trick that requires a gimmick you don't have?

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Hey guys,
I am often known by people who don't know me personally, as "That Guy That Does Magic." I, all too often, have people come up to me and say, "Dude, do that dollar trick!" (Fraud) *sigh* Once agian, I find myself in that delicate situation where the people want to see an amazing trick that requires a gimmick that I don't have on me, and I'm not exactly in a position to do another trick that is just as or more amazing than the one they want to see. What do I do? I know this may seem silly, but I really can't come up with an "out" that will make me seem like I WASN'T caught off guard. I usually carry a deck of cards on me at all times, but when I don't have a deck, what do I do? How do I get out? Any suggestions would be great.

By the way, I just got Distortion, Digital Dissolve, and some Guardians today......
AMAZING! T11 is the best.

Thanks,

-Matt

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Hey guys,
I am often known by people who don't know me personally, as "That Guy That Does Magic." I, all too often, have people come up to me and say, "Dude, do that dollar trick!" (Fraud) *sigh* Once agian, I find myself in that delicate situation where the people want to see an amazing trick that requires a gimmick that I don't have on me, and I'm not exactly in a position to do another trick that is just as or more amazing than the one they want to see. What do I do? I know this may seem silly, but I really can't come up with an "out" that will make me seem like I WASN'T caught off guard. I usually carry a deck of cards on me at all times, but when I don't have a deck, what do I do? How do I get out? Any suggestions would be great.

By the way, I just got Distortion, Digital Dissolve, and some Guardians today......
AMAZING! T11 is the best.

Thanks,

-Matt

That same thing would happen to me when I first started out. Low and behold, the effect that was always requested was Stigmata. It always sucked when I didn't have a deck of cards on me, or knew how to execute a proper classic force (so I ended up having to set up the deck before hand).

What I did in that situation was simply say that I really wasn't up for performing at the moment, and tried to change the subject. This really hasn't happened to me in a long time so I never have to turn down a request.

I think the easiest thing you can do is try and see if you can somehow carry the gimmick with you where ever you can. I don't know how bulky the gimmick is because I haven't purchased Fraud...yet. Or, you could just try and entertain them with another effect. Always have a back up plan before you walk out the door and begin entertaining!

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
Thats a tough situation.

Your not a 1 trick wonder though, so you either need to hold back on performing the "dollar" trick all the time and bring it out for special occasions only. Or get a nice mix of gaffed and impromptu magic. Mix it up a little or things will never change.

Whats wrong with coming up with somthing that you can do on the fly?

Jay Sankey's coins across for example, it requires 3 borrowed coins. Your never caught out.

Just a suggestion

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
A delicate situation that can't be avoided, but I would recommend a simple "No."
Now, that doesn't mean be rude, and blow up on them, but say something along the lines of "Nah, I don't do requests." or "Maybe some other time, but I've got other things to do right now."
Just be polite, and turn them down.

Sep 1, 2007
A delicate situation that can't be avoided, but I would recommend a simple "No."
Now, that doesn't mean be rude, and blow up on them, but say something along the lines of "Nah, I don't do requests." or "Maybe some other time, but I've got other things to do right now."
Just be polite, and turn them down.

By the sounds of his post though he doesn't want to say no. He wants to perform something, the point is he's overused this dollar trick and now people expect it/demand it. He's not prepared because he can't carry gaffs around all day every day. This means he needs to select a few impromtu routines.

Say something like, the dollar routine is old news, I have something better, then show them something off the cuff, a routine using their coins etc.

The point is, mix it up, don't be a one trick wonder.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I agree this is definetly a delicate situation, but its not as hard to get out of, you said in your post that you had a different trick all ready to go. Therefore most of the works done for you, I'm known as that guy around my school too, I'm just known for card on ceiling, I often get comments like Hey you're the guy that stuck all those cards on the ceiling do it. The easiest way to get out of a situation like that, is say I'll show you something even better, and if you only have a deck of cards, great do something like Hitman, or a trick that doesn't use a gimmick. Or even better if you have a gimmick ready, show them that trick.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
By the sounds of his post though he doesn't want to say no. He wants to perform something, the point is he's overused this dollar trick and now people expect it/demand it. He's not prepared because he can't carry gaffs around all day every day. This means he needs to select a few impromtu routines.

Say something like, the dollar routine is old news, I have something better, then show them something off the cuff, a routine using their coins etc.

The point is, mix it up, don't be a one trick wonder.

Ah, I see, my mistake.

Arrrggg, I hate it when that happens. Except for me their always asking me to do Self Tying Shoelaces and Hovercard. I just let the spectator know,

"Sorry bro, I'm not really doing magic today. Mabe some other time dude. Concider this a rain check."

MOST of the time they will respect that and you can go about your day. But warning, they, 100%, will take you up on that rain check. So you better brong that gimmick the next day. And that gives you time to do a tune up on that effect so your 99.99% prepared to do that trick when you need to do it.

Sep 2, 2007
Usually, I just say that "I way just about to do that trick, but, since I don't do requests, now I can't perform it. I guess it'll have to wait 'till next time."

Most of the time, this stops people from ever requesting a trick again.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Ya, I think one of the best things to do in this situation which really is not a bad one if you play it right. Just simply say something like "hey, you wanna see something?, Let me show you this" and just go into something else, that you can do in any situation with no setup or gimmick. Amaze them yet again, and be on your way.

William

Happens to me with the ID all the time. I just say I would much rather show you my new trick and go into a hard hitting impromptu like everyone else in this thread said. Or just blink and ask them what the **** they are talking about followed by a blunt "magic doesnt exist fool"

Sep 1, 2007
And it that doesn't work give em a swift heel kick to the head ! !

Kidding by the way...........or was I?;)

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
you can say you're not up for performing... but people will beg. And that really puts you on the spot. Your job as a magician is to entertain and amaze people when they want or are looking for amazement. The "dollar" trick should be easy enough, I carry that with me all the time.

You can't go wrong carrying a deck of cards with you all the time either. They fit in almost any pocket or if you don't have pockets, a backpack, or anything else... just carry them. I do this alot since I wear a lot of clothes with no pockets, and its just second nature to have a deck in my hand.

You should always be ready to perform something. Even if its just the imprompty "37" trick.

On a slightly different note, if someone asks me "Jordan, can you do tricks with a ----?"

The - representing whatever it will be they request, whether it be from coins, to even doves. I generally state, "Yes. I was showing a trick to a woman the other day, I took the ---- and made them vanish. She loved it, but I am still figuring out how to get them back.... Man, did I owe those people some money..." which just is a funny way of stating that you won't do any today, without saying that you cannot or do not.

Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
UK
On a slightly different note, if someone asks me "Jordan, can you do tricks with a ----?"

The - representing whatever it will be they request, whether it be from coins, to even doves. I generally state, "Yes. I was showing a trick to a woman the other day, I took the ---- and made them vanish. She loved it, but I am still figuring out how to get them back.... Man, did I owe those people some money..." which just is a funny way of stating that you won't do any today, without saying that you cannot or do not.

Jordan

Thats the way to say no... better than just saying no requests etc.

I will just perform for them and amaze them with something else.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Alright! Thanks, guys. You've been a lot of help. I'm still somewhat of a beginner and I've only been doing magic for a year and some change.... All that I really do confidantly and often is Ambitious Card, Here Then There, and perhaps Stigmata (version 1) if I'm feeling confident and I'm really connecting with my audience and they want to see more. I still need to get a few more tricks down well enough where I can just roll into them from my ACR or just have a wider selection of tricks to choose from when I'm asked. I'm working on some new stuff (Distortion, Digital Dissolve, dananddave's The Trilogy to name a few) I'll definitely practice enough to have a set of about 5 tricks that I can do flawlessly and confidently off the cuff with only a deck of cards when I'm in that situation again.

Thanks again for all the insight,

-Matt

Sep 1, 2007
whenever i go out and start to perform for people my close friends who have seen almost all my stuff always shout out " do the one where the deck moves" they are talking about one of the effect using loops. Anyway i haven't carried loops on me in a while so i cant always perform it plus it gets spoiled when they already say whats about to happen so people are looking for the deck moving.

What i usually say is nah am bored of that trick or am working on something better and show them something new i have been working on and they forget all about it.

in no way do you want to let on that you need a gimmick of some sort.

whats amazing about loops is thath when i do have one on and i get asked to do the trick i can perform it and eople dont think thath i have some sort of thread on me cause why would i carry it around and also they dont see my tying anything or oving anything.

its great

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results