Muscle Pass Question

Dec 9, 2008
It took me 10 mins to be able to do it, and about 2 days to be able to do it 2 foot sort of distance. Just fiddle around with it.

Aug 19, 2008
Jay rox

I learned the muscle pass from jay as well and i got it in about a week. u just have to do what he says on the dvd. whenever i was sitting down and watching tv, i was practicing. whenever i was doing my homework, i was practicing. whenever i was doing something that only required 1 hand, i was practicing. my only tip is that u alternate hands while practicing. i didnt, and now i can only do it in my right hand. i try to learn it in my left hand, but i just cant get back in the knack of practicing. ah well, at least i can do it in my rite hand:D

Feb 8, 2009
I actually learnt this sleight from Kris Nevling. I started with smaller coins, then with bigger and now I do it with a poker chip. It took me to lear it about a day, but to get a good high - about half a month with everyday practise. A great and stuning sleight it is :)

actualy its much easier doin the muscle pass with bigger coins.

It will take you a LONG time to be able to do a decent muscle pass, Jay Noblezada shouldn't be the person you learn it from either.

I do not understand this statement. I have been doing coin magic for many years and had never mastered this sleight. Until of course I bought Jay's DVD. I believe it is a great source for learning this effect.

Mar 29, 2008
I do not understand this statement. I have been doing coin magic for many years and had never mastered this sleight. Until of course I bought Jay's DVD. I believe it is a great source for learning this effect.

Jay teaches it slightly incorrect, you never, ever give the coin a push upwards when doing the muscle pass, which jay does very blatently, people that do this and say "I can do 2 feet!" dont know how far 2 feet are and can hit maybe a foot with no hand movement. Dan Watkins(who runs coinvanish.com) has been practicing the move for years, and has said himself that he can hit about 2 feet with no hand movement, and has said if you have been practicing it for a few weeks and can hit 2 feet with a coin, you arent doing it right.

He also does not credit or teach the click pass correctly. Shoot Ogawas or david kong's dvd is probably the best bet to learn it from.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Shoot pretty much says you should cheat by moving your hand DOWN at the same time of the muscle pass. That way it will look like it went higher than it already did.

Shoots DVD or David Kongs are the ones you want to get for this. Also it's going to take you a pretty good while to get a good one. Nobody takes just a few days or anything. I think it took Shoot like a year or two to get a good one. Tho for most the shortest time should be around 4-5 months.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Let's see. It took about a week just to get the "gist" of the pass itself. Getting the hand used to the crunch of the pass. Getting 2mm of air took another 4 days or so. From there it was just practice practice just to get height.

Really, you just have to find your "sweet spot" and from there, it's just practicing enough to get the height you want.
A tip on the muscle pass however, if you practice the muscle pass consecutively, you'll find the height decreasing a bit. It's best to do the muscle pass in performance on your "first" go, when the skin isn't broken in as much. You'll understand what I mean later on.

Jul 8, 2008
dissagree

i dissagree with some who say that it is impossible to do a decent muscle pass with only 20 minutes practice. this depends on the muscles on your hand that you arleady have. some might have stronger muscle than other. For example, if you've practiced classic palm for three years aand never seen muscle pass, it's pretty sure that you'll do it better than the guy next door. also people who work with their hand (machinists and other) MIGHT get a good muscle pass almost straight away if they have enough muscle in the palm. not all people do, but some might!

Aug 19, 2008
Jay teaches it slightly incorrect, you never, ever give the coin a push upwards when doing the muscle pass, which jay does very blatently, people that do this and say "I can do 2 feet!" dont know how far 2 feet are and can hit maybe a foot with no hand movement. Dan Watkins(who runs coinvanish.com) has been practicing the move for years, and has said himself that he can hit about 2 feet with no hand movement, and has said if you have been practicing it for a few weeks and can hit 2 feet with a coin, you arent doing it right.

He also does not credit or teach the click pass correctly. Shoot Ogawas or david kong's dvd is probably the best bet to learn it from.

He ment when u start out to push the coin up a little bit until u can do it a decent height without tossing the coin up

Sep 1, 2007
He ment when u start out to push the coin up a little bit until u can do it a decent height without tossing the coin up

Why develop a bad habit when you don't have to? And if Jay means to only do that temporarily, why does he still obviously do it in performance?

I have David Kong's Complete Muscle Pass. Much better DVD.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
i dissagree with some who say that it is impossible to do a decent muscle pass with only 20 minutes practice. this depends on the muscles on your hand that you arleady have. some might have stronger muscle than other. For example, if you've practiced classic palm for three years aand never seen muscle pass, it's pretty sure that you'll do it better than the guy next door. also people who work with their hand (machinists and other) MIGHT get a good muscle pass almost straight away if they have enough muscle in the palm. not all people do, but some might!

You can disagree all you want, it won't change the fact that it DOES take months to a year to a GOOD muscle pass. The one Jay does is pretty lame and he doesn't do the move right. It should take most people (if they do it right.) around 4 months to a year. NOBODY gets a good Muscle Pass in 20 min.

Aug 19, 2008
You can disagree all you want, it won't change the fact that it DOES take months to a year to a GOOD muscle pass. The one Jay does is pretty lame and he doesn't do the move right. It should take most people (if they do it right.) around 4 months to a year. NOBODY gets a good Muscle Pass in 20 min.

what r u talking about man i bought jays muscle pass and i got it in about 3 days

Mar 29, 2008
what r u talking about man i bought jays muscle pass and i got it in about 3 days

And most likely you help toss the coin up like jay

Can you do it completly hidden? do you have complete control of where the coin is going(probably the most important part of anything using the muscle pass) do you have decent height with no hand movement? unless you can do all that consistantly and with little effort, you havent gotten the move, you may have the jist of it, but it doesnt mean you completely gotten it.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Bottom line: Steerpike and Randy are correct in what they're saying. It's a move that you will probably NEVER master, especially if you follow everything Jay Nose-bleed-aza says in his lame dvd.

Scott.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Bottom line: Steerpike and Randy are correct in what they're saying. It's a move that you will probably NEVER master, especially if you follow everything Jay Nose-bleed-aza says in his lame dvd.

Scott.

I wouldn't say he'll never master it. But more or less that they it won't be magical or deceptive at all. Honestly anybody could put coin in their hand and simply toss it into the air. I've heard a lot of bad things about Jays other DVD's.

You could probably also learn the Muscle Pass from Michael Ammars Classic Renditions DVD. I think it's the one that talks about Invisible thread.

Sep 1, 2007
It has more to do with penguin being rather lame and asstastic with their DVD's. I could say the same for Magic-Geek as well.

I wasn't making a dig on Jay (please, don't get me started) so much as a dig on the industry. It's the lack of quality control.

Jay's DVDs range from okay to awful and he has a lot of issues with crediting, which is to say nothing of his sketchy technique (made particularly explicit on his muscle pass. But he's presented as a figure that younger magicians can relate to, and thus he sells more DVDs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results