Have a horrible/terrible performance? Great!

Hey guys,

Where did you learn to perform magic? A book, DVD, online forums? You mostly likely learned how to do an effect from the book and DVD and got some great performance and presentation tips off an online magic forum. Yes, these are great places to get advise and tips and learn new magic from, but you can never completely learn how to do an effect or learn how to properly perform it in front of an audience until you ACTUALLY do it in front of an audience.

Alot of people say when they practice a trick for a long time and can do it in front of a mirror flawlessly to themselves that they have it down PERFECTLY. No. You haven't. You've got it down flawlessly......by yourself. You never know or expect what a spectator is going to do or say until you do the effect for an ACTUAL spectator. And if you perform it horribly/terribly because you got nervous or something just went wrong and un-expected happend during the trick and your audience hates it and tells you you suck and that your the worste they've ever seen......then that's great! Awsome even. And here's why...

There is no better way to learn something than to learn it the hard way and to learn it first hand. When the spectator says you suck or something like that, then that makes you truely realize that you have to change something. You can perform for yourself in the mirror and you might not want to criticise yourself or you will over-look something and sometimes your parents will just tell you you did good even if they saw something and they just didn't call you out on it. The only REAL way to REALLY benifit your magic IS to suck. Of couse you don't try to suck, but if you do something wrong and the spectator rags on you for it, that gives you motivation to work on it because you want to prove them wrong. And ANYTHING that goes wrong during your performance is ALWAYS your fault. You should be in control of everything and anything. You need to control everything that happens from the actual trick to the reactions want to what your spectators do. It should be in yor control.

"A true professional never leaves ANYTHING to chance."

So bottom line, if you bomb a performance and it's the worste performance you ever had, use it to your advantage. Don't get down on yourself, be glad that you have such an affective way of detecting what you did wrong! Because a spectator is ALWAYS eager to tell you what you did wrong. Trust me.

So get out there, do good, do bad, whatever. Either way you win. You do good, then great, still try to improve it and make it better and move on to the next effect and work on that. If you do terrible, then you still win because you know what to work on and you now know the "do's" and "dont's" of that trick.

Either way, it's win win...

Thanks for reading...

Have a good one,

:D. i always learn something new when read Goffy essays.

good read.

...My name is GOOFY. Get that name right...or I'll have to destroy you.

Anyways, thanks man :D. It's comments like this that makes my insides feel all fuzy......or it could be that grilled cheese my granny made...yep. DEFINATELY the grilled cheese. So nevermi- *Runs to bathroom.*

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
I agree.. get out there and perform. Nothing will make you a better performer that performing.

Want to make movies? Make a movie. Want to sing in a band? Sing in a band. Want to perform magic? The perform magic.

Becoming comfortable in front of people is one of the largest obsticles that any performer has. Only experience will let you relax, unless you're already comfortable with public speaking.

Jul 13, 2009
Blows the dust off the thread, there is a lot of great posts that have been barried by Jerry nugget threads, and drama.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results