Worst reaction you have gotten?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
lol!

Sigh... After an ACR - "You cheated!" "...?"

The Biddle Trick - "Without you noticing the card has already jumped - you've been holding the deck tightly, yeah? Have a look." *Spectator looks through deck to find reversed card. "...Was that meant to happen?"

Haven't had many horrible reactions but have had some;

I was doing Hedberg's Peak and when I finished they said, "Thats easy you flipped the deck over." Whether it was that they weren't paying attention or their minds thought it out this way (which still doesn't explain how i did the trick, oh and might I add there was no flash, I can guarantee) they just stuck to it.

Also my friend knows a few sleights (knows but cannot do) and he used to call them out (again not cause of a flash but cause he knows them) or just say the name which would suck any possible reactions out of the spectators or leave them silent (in a bad way). Luckily he doesn't do this anymore.

~PaCo

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Haven't had many horrible reactions but have had some;

I was doing Hedberg's Peak and when I finished they said, "Thats easy you flipped the deck over." Whether it was that they weren't paying attention or their minds thought it out this way (which still doesn't explain how i did the trick, oh and might I add there was no flash, I can guarantee) they just stuck to it.

Also my friend knows a few sleights (knows but cannot do) and he used to call them out (again not cause of a flash but cause he knows them) or just say the name which would suck any possible reactions out of the spectators or leave them silent (in a bad way). Luckily he doesn't do this anymore.

~PaCo

I thought the exact same thing when I saw hedberg's peaks the first time...

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I have a couple. One from magic, the other from hypnosis.

I did an ACR, just one, to a friend. I put the card in the middle of the deck, riffled the deck and showed her the card.

She said, completely and utterly unimpressed: "Well, that's no trick. When you did that thing you did with the cards (she meant the riffle), you used your thumb to move my card to the top of the deck."

I was a little stunned. Not because she didn't enjoy the trick, but her explaination of how it was done was so amazingly and utterly wrong that it took me back. So I did another ACR and handed her the deck to turn over the top card. Again, she insisted that when I handed her the deck, she said "I saw you pull out my card with your thumb and place it on the top. You need to practice that move more. I'm sorry. I don't mean to hurt your feelings."

Truth was my feelings were not hurt, I was just stunned about how someone can be so wrong about something and convinced that she was right. And no, she wasn't kidding. She really was convinced by her own ideas on how it was done.

Now the worst reaction I've gotten from hypnosis is simular but more intense. At one show, (and bare in mind I only do adult-only hypnosis shows), after the show was done, I was mingiling and doing some "walk around hypnosis" when a woman approached me.

She told me, very politely but very sternly, that she certainly did not enjoy the show because "You are envoking evil powers that someday will go beyond your control." When I told her that I wasn't using any "powers", that and it was just a trick that anyone can do, she got angry.

"You are using powers beyond your control. You are controlling people's minds with forces that you don't understand. One day you are going to control the wrong mind and you will find that there is a demon inside that mind and you will get sucked into evil that you will not be able to control. It will control you. And you will be a child of Satan then. May god watch over you, but I think you are too far gone."

She stormed off, well, tried to. She wasn't very successful at storming off because she was drunk......

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
She told me, very politely but very sternly, that she certainly did not enjoy the show because "You are envoking evil powers that someday will go beyond your control." When I told her that I wasn't using any "powers", that and it was just a trick that anyone can do, she got angry.

"You are using powers beyond your control. You are controlling people's minds with forces that you don't understand. One day you are going to control the wrong mind and you will find that there is a demon inside that mind and you will get sucked into evil that you will not be able to control. It will control you. And you will be a child of Satan then. May god watch over you, but I think you are too far gone."

She stormed off, well, tried to. She wasn't very successful at storming off because she was drunk......

i fell on the floor laughing at this.
but anyway,
me: watch, -riffles deck, did you see that? one card went to my pocket
spec:eek:k
me: -pulls card out of pocket, what was your card?
spec:wait, i was supposed to remember it?
me:yea, i told you to
Spec: oh, whoops
me:eek:kay, we'll just do something else

(later in that very same routine)

biddle trick
me: look, theres only four cards here now.
spec: queen of spades
me: what?
Spec: queen of spades, that was the card that i forgot just now
me:we're doing another trick..
spec:yea, but i remembered it so HAH!
me: yea okay, so do you see your card among these four cards?
spec: I forgot which one mine was.
me: ****.

Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Two weeks ago I performed Believe, I decided to perform it most of the day and one of my performances didn't go quite as expected.

I had started the trick for a small group of people (about 5) and everything was fine. I got to the part where I do the reveal and after I waved my hand over the card changed... etc

A older gentleman (mid 30's, early 40's I'd say) screamed "Oh my god" and he took off running. He literally ran away from me and didn't look back, his daughter (still standing there) claimed that he wasn't completely "Stable".

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Haha, That's awesome - Run to the hills!

When we were shooting the white star trailer we came across this young couple, they seemed cool and we'd spent quite a while scouting as the town was dead!

So did some warm up stuff which went ok, they didn't quite react as strongly as I'm used to, but alas, sometimes it happens...

So we sat down in the sand to do White Star... I got to the point where I'm counting all the cards out and they decide which ones to keep or discard, they don't feel like keeping ANY...I get about half way through the deck and the girl has kept one and the guy none.... I even throw things in like;

"You'll get a feeling that you want to keep about a 3rd of the cards"

yet still we get to the end and he has kept one card and she's kept 2...it was SUCH an anticlimax!!

So I had to come up with some bizarre magic babble to tie it into the story and leave it at that. Suffice to say that they didn't make the final cut!:p

D.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Getting a blatant stare is worse enough for a reaction.
That's when I realized "10 card poker deal" was a stupid trick.

"No, I like the fork 1 better" - psychokinetic silverware.

I was hired at this very popular bar in downtown Springfield, MA. The manager who hired me sent me to perform for a table of her friends, so I approached and introduced myself. It was a four top.

The young man to my left and one seat away from me simply turned and faced the wall as I was saying my opening hello's. Nothing to look at but bricks.

"Is that a no, then?" I asked. He turned back and said "Yeah, that's a no." Then he went into his shirt pocket and pulled out a lighter and yelled "OOOH, I'm a magician, too! HAHA get lost."

My manager tipped me twenty bucks and apologized, but I never forgot that guy. The first thought I had was to lash back. I swear to you, what popped into my head was "Maybe I'll come to your job and make fun of you while you make 7 bucks an hour selling TV's." I didn't bother, though.

The best part is, about three weeks later I was at Circuit City and sure enough, there he was selling TV's. I stopped, made sure he saw me, then smiled, shook my head and walked away. His face was as red as the Circuity City standard issue polo he had on.

Pj

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I was hired at this very popular bar in downtown Springfield, MA. The manager who hired me sent me to perform for a table of her friends, so I approached and introduced myself. It was a four top.

The young man to my left and one seat away from me simply turned and faced the wall as I was saying my opening hello's. Nothing to look at but bricks.

"Is that a no, then?" I asked. He turned back and said "Yeah, that's a no." Then he went into his shirt pocket and pulled out a lighter and yelled "OOOH, I'm a magician, too! HAHA get lost."

My manager tipped me twenty bucks and apologized, but I never forgot that guy. The first thought I had was to lash back. I swear to you, what popped into my head was "Maybe I'll come to your job and make fun of you while you make 7 bucks an hour selling TV's." I didn't bother, though.

The best part is, about three weeks later I was at Circuit City and sure enough, there he was selling TV's. I stopped, made sure he saw me, then smiled, shook my head and walked away. His face was as red as the Circuity City standard issue polo he had on.

Pj

That is awesome. But why did your manager make you apologize? Did you actually say, "Maybe I'll come to your job and make fun of you while you make 7 bucks an hour selling TV's"?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results