More than a Hobby?

Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys. I've been thinking about this lately.

Is flourishing just a hobby for you? Or is it your life. When people talk about how they practice 8-9 hours a day, they say its just a hobby.

8-9 Hours is pretty much the whole day, doing nothing but cardistry, but they call it "just a hobby"

Is cardistry just a hobby for you? Could you live without it? Do you ever go anywhere without a deck of cards?

Think about it.

-Max

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
I need to start timing my hours so I can't answer this probably, but I do agree with where you are going with this.

I spend at least a few hours a day playing with cards, and they are always at least by my side or in my pocket, so I don't think calling it a "hobby" is fair. It's weak of providing justice for what it really means to me, and I'm sure others can agree with me on that. It's like a good upper drug, just without all the side effects and destructive nature. :D

I don't think true art can be called a hobby. If is it called art, then it is automatically something more than that, at least that's how I view it.

Is cardistry just a hobby for you? Could you live without it? Do you ever go anywhere without a deck of cards?

It's a difficult question to define: my sense of a "hobby" may be different to other people's views. I once felt that cardistry was just a "hobby", even though I spent most of my waking hours messing with a pack - and that was a good 8-10 hours a day. Despite such a long time, I honestly didn't consider it much more than that (!) Then I started performing... Suddenly for me it became more than just a "hobby"; the mere thought of the spectators' enjoyment watching it is what made it my life. Never is there one real moment when I'm not playing with a pack or performing; whether it would be from someone in my family or to one I never met. It's not just something I enjoy personally (which I'd like to add, I heavily do) but also the fact that others enjoy it as well.

In short, cardistry is my life. That is what it is for me - and I'm proud of that fact, even if others may consider it "geeky". :)

Jordan

Apr 22, 2008
It's a difficult question to define: my sense of a "hobby" may be different to other people's views. I once felt that cardistry was just a "hobby", even though I spent most of my waking hours messing with a pack - and that was a good 8-10 hours a day. Despite such a long time, I honestly didn't consider it much more than that (!) Then I started performing... Suddenly for me it became more than just a "hobby"; the mere thought of the spectators' enjoyment watching it is what made it my life. Never is there one real moment when I'm not playing with a pack or performing; whether it would be from someone in my family or to one I never met. It's not just something I enjoy personally (which I'd like to add, I heavily do) but also the fact that others enjoy it as well.

In short, cardistry is my life. That is what it is for me - and I'm proud of that fact, even if others may consider it "geeky". :)

Jordan

I agree with Jordan ... a hobby is something you enjoy doing yourself ... (i.e. listening to music) ... flourishing/magic are only hobbies if you do it to yourself ... but once you start going out and performing to other people the become an art.

But that just me I dont know about you.

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
Hey guys. I've been thinking about this lately.

Is flourishing just a hobby for you? Or is it your life. When people talk about how they practice 8-9 hours a day, they say its just a hobby.

8-9 Hours is pretty much the whole day, doing nothing but cardistry, but they call it "just a hobby"

Think about it.

-Max
I practice 8-10 hours a day, but I do other things at the same time. Like when I'm shopping I practice flourishes and palming etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results