Best cards for manipulation?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys,

I want to learn and perform manipulation, and i was wandering what cards are best for it? Which ones are thinnest etc. and if they exists in a bridge size?
And, where can i buy them?

Thanx

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
penguin magic sells minpulation cards, but poker size are best for cuts as the have more ...umm ..pivot..yeah...

Thanx man. As for the cuts, i didnt mean cuts lol. I want to do fan productions, card productions and all that stuff that Jeff McBride does. I do cuts and flourishes with my regular bicycles ;)

EDIT: I just searched Penguin magic for manipulation cards and there are "Manipulation Cards by Vernet" and "Manipulation Cards by Trevor Duffy", can i get any info on those if anybody is using them?

And i also bumped into XTC (Xtreeme Training Cards), cards for XCM, whats up with that? lol http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1316

Last edited by a moderator:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Those XTC cards look LAME. Read the reviews at the bottom, everyone seems to hate them :p

Honestly, use Bicycles or Tally Ho's, they are cheap and extremely high quality cards. A lot of the time, especially with E decks, they hype them up and make them sound a million times better than they really are, but the truth of the matter is that the standard/basic playing cards are just as good, it just comes down to preferrence.

Oct 21, 2007
Thanx man. As for the cuts, i didnt mean cuts lol. I want to do fan productions, card productions and all that stuff that Jeff McBride does. I do cuts and flourishes with my regular bicycles ;)

EDIT: I just searched Penguin magic for manipulation cards and there are "Manipulation Cards by Vernet" and "Manipulation Cards by Trevor Duffy", can i get any info on those if anybody is using them?

And i also bumped into XTC (Xtreeme Training Cards), cards for XCM, whats up with that? lol http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1316
actualy thats what hes talking about, manipulation cards...
there meant for faning and producing and disapearing and stuff.

Sep 17, 2007
If you are looking for thin cards look for fanning cards; I know of a rainbow fanning deck that went for quite a reasonable price and was super thin. However, if you are thinking of doing some manipulation other than fanning, don't get cards that are too thin. Cards that are too thin will go kaboom in a few weeks if you are a frequent user. Rather, go for something moderate and get used to their thickness. Alternatively, if you are really looking for cheap + slightly thin cards, go for bicycle doubles. They're misprinted cards from USPCC that Bicycle compiles and sells as another deck. Amazing cheap and occasionally thin if you can get over the misprints on the faces.

Sep 17, 2007
Speaking of which, anyone knows if its possible to get Wynns at a good price in Asia but not over Ebay? I've a bit of difficulty doing online transactions and my local magic store doesn't carry them.

Nov 17, 2007
red bee.. simple as that :p those are the cards that manipulation artists all over the world. Jeff Mcbride's art of manipulation videos are the place to start

There are two schools of thought for which cards to use during manipulation acts.

1. You use "thin" flesh colored back manipulation cards, such as Vernet. These are fine, but you are then also required to press them and to make sure you don't lose any during your show because they are expensive. No long distance cards throws into the audience here.

2. You use a regular card, such as Bee. If you do so, you won't be worried about losing cards, but at the same time you will have to deal with the difficulties of the thicker stock. The moves may be more difficult. However, what the thicker stock does offer is the "snap and pop" that you get when you attempt to produce cards. They are not flimsy. This is Jeff McBride's preferred way.

Choose which is best for you.

J.

Jan 27, 2008
There are two schools of thought for which cards to use during manipulation acts.

1. You use "thin" flesh colored back manipulation cards, such as Vernet. These are fine, but you are then also required to press them and to make sure you don't lose any during your show because they are expensive. No long distance cards throws into the audience here.

2. You use a regular card, such as Bee. If you do so, you won't be worried about losing cards, but at the same time you will have to deal with the difficulties of the thicker stock. The moves may be more difficult. However, what the thicker stock does offer is the "snap and pop" that you get when you attempt to produce cards. They are not flimsy. This is Jeff McBride's preferred way.

Choose which is best for you.

J.
I would stronly reccomend you do NOT buy bridge sized cards. Trust me, Brad Christen uses those. If you feel the cards are too big for your hands, like for palming, or doing flourishes, do not worry, you'll grow. And if your at your full height, you'll get used to it. Trust me, moves look way cooler when you have small hands, so it's a disadvantage you should try to overcome. Trust me, it'll be worth it.

My favorite cards for flourishes are arrco's, wynns (not brown ones), and tally's or palmetto's. Try and pick any of those up. Btw, don't get the wynns if you have a handlordzish style, you won't like them. But if you do cuts, like sybils and things like that they're great. The clump a lot and stay together well in packets for aerials, but they suck at fannning. If you want cards that fan get palmetto's.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
For manipulation such as split fan productions etc. I would second RC-Roi92. Red bee cards have no borders so they blend into flesh color with a little motion. :)

I'm not very good at doing manipulations myself, but I've seen the difference. The red bees work. :p

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys
Thanx for all of your replies.

Im 22, and allmost at my full growth size, and im 6'6 (198cm) tall, so yeah, i can palm a chair :) I live in country where we have no magic dealer, so bee and flesh coloured cards is equaly hard and expencive to find.

But i will take your advice and use Poker size, fairly new thick stock cards.

I also heard that Aviator cards are really good for manipulation, any toughts on that?

Thanx

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results