D+M's Dangerous - Volume II :: Motion

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
2r5vj1z.jpg

//something.dangerous.has.arrived
One of the most talked about projects of 2008, Dangerous represents the definitive work of underground magician Daniel Madison - a massive two volume (two-disc) DVD anthology of d+M's work, past and present.

Volume II is entitled Motion, teaching d+M's signature style of flourishing and cardistry. Each disc is over 75 minutes in length - jam packed with rock-solid material.

> > > d+M . Dangerous . Motion
4sybil | Sleepless | Turnover | Downfall | Aries | Lethal | Lethal X | Guardian | Snap.d | Mayhem | Fly | Stone | Symphony | Cylinder | Bicycle | Diabolique | Twisted Rain | Twisted Rain 2 | Sybil in the Rain | Drop Sybil | Sybil Helix

Actual screen shot:
nqqp3q.jpg

[The original]Review::
As you can already see, the dvd (download) is HD and is of incredible quality, and for the price, is the best download i own.
I will review each flourish (some more briefly than others) and then give my overall opinion on the price etc..

4Sybil
Skill level 6// personal opinion:: more of a 4
This is a 4 ace production using the former 'popsyble' move, it is simple and quick, and although i like it, will not use it, though the sybil into hotshot 'shoot' is a nice utility 7/10

Sleepless
Skill level 5// personal opinion:: 5 also
Sleightly*;)* more 'knacky' yet the moves are simple. It will take a while to combine them into a smooth combination, but when done right, looks very complex. The only move that was new to me was the thumb roll, which after a day and a half, i have picked up and now have the cut 90% down (needs a bit more speed). It is 100% controlled, and is a 4 card production, though i use it as a 1 card one. One of my favs, simple but impressive 9/10

Turnover+Downfall
Skill level 5+7 // personal opinion:: 4+7
These 2 moves are similar, yet completely different. One has a nice flip over onto the back of the hand, and then a fan flip over move, and one has an aerial onto the back of the hand. Both times, they land on the back of the thumb and first finger, and so i see them as similar. Downfall came from D+M doing turnover too fast, and so it became aerial. Both are impressive, yet i find turnover easier than suggested 6.5/10. Downfall is difficult and will take practice, but looks a lot better so is a 9/10

Aries
Skill level 6 // personal opinion:: for me, actually more of a 7
This is rather knacky, and is very easy to drop packets. This move is very similar to guardian, and IMO, looks a little worse, as the spinning packet in guardian is makes a double spin which looks really effective. The aerial at the end is a nice edition, but nothing that new. FACT: came from an incorrect tornado, thanks ashford! 6/10

Lethal/LethalX
Skill level 8+8 // personal opinion:: 9+8
These 2 are obviously from the LETHAL Dvd, but the teaching is multi angled, clearer, and has verbal hints. These 2 will take a long time to learn, and i have decided to leave them as i have a lot to practice. I have attempted both, and lethal is harder for me, as the complex repetition of packet cuts is difficult. Looks nice, and lethalX is something im very keen on learning. Lethal=8/10.. LethalX=9/10

Guardian
Skill level 4// personal opinion:: 4
This looks beautiful. No other word can describe this. He even says to perform it slow, coming from someone who obviously performs at breakneck speeds. It has 2 packets spinning on either side, and like his wife Rebecca said, it looks like a 'butterfly'. The grip is odd at first, but easy to master, and this really does look good. Although simple, one of my favs. 9/10

Snap.d
Skill level 3// personal opinion:: 3
Pure knack. you practice, you struggle, you get it, your good. Takes time to gain distance and timing, but looks cool. Has verbal instructions. 8/10
edit: forgot to mention, its his card shoot thats on his videos...:D

Mayhem+Fly
Skill level 9+8// personal opinion:: 10+8.5
Daniel says this takes patience. It sure as hell does. This starts off like a madonna 3, and then breaks off into 1342355768992 packets in a matter of seconds, and finishes as smooth as the bonnet of a porsche. Pure eye candy, but very difficult to master and perfect. His performances look amazing, but D+M admits this is, in his opinion, the hardest cut on the dvd. When i learn this, i can conquer the world. Fly is a display, with an easier finish, making it an 8. This does look awesome, and ends with a hotshot 'shoot' positioned card, and is easier so i may learn this first.... with mayhem learnt first though, fly will come easily. FACT: D+M got the idea for a 'flare' using single cards from the bucks. 2 x 10/10

Stone
Skill level 5// personal opinion:: 6
Easy moves, hard to smooth. This is simple, but takes a while to get smoothed out and fast. The aerial is nice at the end, and when he shows how it originally all in the hands with no aerials, it reminded me of west coast chaos, just nicer...Packets are split, one hand revolutions while the other 'flares' out a packet along the arm, comes together, packet deposited on the arm, and then tossed into the air... sweet 7/10

Symphony+Cylinder
Skill level 4+4// personal opinion:: 5+4 as The extended swing cut in symphony is relatively difficult to master..
These 2 cuts are both 100% controlled, and are nearly identical. They start differently, with the first packet completing a 360 rotation on the index and middle fingers in syphony (knacky) and a 360 spin off the pinky in cylinder. They then both go into simple cuts after this, using a madonna type thumb cut and the dead revolution, but the speed and smoothness at which they are done my D+M looks incredible. His best performances on the tape, and these 2 cuts are although unoriginal (though they were more original in the LETHAL days when they first came out), look incredible. 10/10 x 2
Simplicity. Style. Speed.

Bicycle+Diabolique
Skill level 3+5// personal opinion:: 2+5
Bicycle is just a repeat of the same swing cut with pinky until the end where there is a revolution cut. (BTW it would really help throughout this dvd is you already knew the revolution cut by BT) looks decent, so is a 6.5/10. Diabolique is the same, just after each swing pinky cut, you revolution, to keep it 100% false. This will mean slowing it down, which D+M tell you. 7/10. Little repetetive IMO.

Twisted rain+T.R2
Skill level 7+7// personal opinion:: 7+7
Flashy beginning, fan flip over, then the infamous D+M back of arm aerial. His favourite on the dvd, this is certainly an eye catching cut. You could perform this at a funeral and get attention. The aerials are very impressive, and the verbal instructions very helpful. To imagine this, just imagine a waterfall, just in the air, falling onto the deck from the back of your arm. nice. 8/10 T.R2 is the same, just with packets in the air, and not a spread. Not as nice, as the breaking of several packets interrupts the flow of the move, but is a decent alternative. 7.5/10. You will drop cards.

Sybil. inthe .rain
Skill level 6// personal opinion:: more of a 4.5
A sybil using your chin, onto downfall. He teaches a sybil at this point, but im guessing you already know one, so thats what makes this so easy. The chin can feel weird at first, but once your used to it, is second nature, and looks really impressive. Like this, 9/10. FACT: a mate told him of twins who he had seen in america at a convention,(this was years back) doing crazy flourishes, using their chins and mad stuff, so D+M incorparated the chin into the cut he best knew, the sybil.

DropSybil
Skill level 6// personal opinion:: 5-4ish
A nice series of aerial moves from a sybil, one packet spins vertically, the next horizontally, but sadly nothing incredible. 5/10

Sybil Helix
Skill level 6// personal opinion:: 6/7
A sybil with a few seperate cuts thrown in, making it a little harder, and a smooth 360 spin at the end with the top packet. Looks nice when done up to speed, havent learnt yet, but intend to, nice utility. 7/10

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
Continued//

Production::
The quality: 10/10
The instructions: 9/10 (verbal and on screen)
Hints and tips: 9/10
Length: 9.5/10 << not a real factor but over 75 mins!!
Performances and Explanations: 10/10 (multi angles, right speed to learn from)

Price::
At $29.95 i am very happy with this. There is tons of material, not just recycled flourishes from LETHAL. The flourishes that were previously on LETHAL have been improved and the teaching is much better. The best download i have, and i feel that T11 deserves this review, Fantastic Job to everyone, especially Dana, the music is perfect.

Final Thoughts::
Buy it. But seriously, this is completely worth it, the content is phenomenal, and D+M cares about the aesthetics of each flourish. He discusses speed, where to turn to display the cards well, how to present each flourish to make it look the best it can. The cuts are all refined and after many years, the quality shows. I am enjoying practicing each move, and the varied skill levels mean it is perfect for anyone with a decent skill amount (sybils, madonnas, tornados etc) to people who can perform blindfolded king cobras (though i do not recommend it to a complete beginner).The variety of moves make this a fantastic purchase, so
2j5jho1.jpg

Also, little bit of humour at the end ;). crumpets. tea. long live the queen. manchester united rocks.

Overall//
9.5/10

http://www.theory11.com/tricks/dangerous.php

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an awesome review man!:D

lots of helpful tips for someone who is thinking of buying it.
you showed the downfalls but exclaimed they were small and were still good.
nice review....I hope to see reviews done by you in the future.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
cheers, took me a long time to do, but i appreciate in depth reviews, so i thought i should give back. i didnt want to do a 'OMG BUY IT NOW LOLOLOL I<3THEORY11' review etc, all dvd's have faults, but this is a great buy, trust me. Each flourish is shown at full speed from several angles, then re explained and the tips are invaluable, best flourishing DVD out there, production and move wise, along with the trilogy, glad it helped mate

joe

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
well the build up to the change in aerial is exactly the same, and D+M performs both at the same speed, but when it comes to the back of the arm, they are very different. the instant spread formed when you move your hand back and arm forward looks fast and flashy, whereas ver 2. stops almost completely when it reaches the back of the hand, so it appears as if the flourish has ceased, but then packets are split and sent cascading up and down in the air almost surprisingly.... personally, i prefer ver. 1. as its smoother and keeps the same fluidity, there is no pause, but the packets all flying at once look really nice when done well, but the flourishes are almost identical...

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
cheers for the comments, glad it helped, and i like the little 'stories' before each move and the cut scenes with the names and difficulty...

Sep 1, 2007
great review joecarr, I may actually look into this.

although I LOL'd that doing a back armspread (ahem, excuse me, a "Twisted Rain TR2!!!") has such a wow factor and you guys think it's DM's "signature move" hahaha... expand your horizons ;)

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
i meant that it was his favourite and most used. name the last video that you saw the back arm spread then aerial in, and i bet its by D+M. I have yet to see another video with this move in, i know he's not the only one, but he's the only i have seen who has used it in several videos...:)

Sep 1, 2007
running back armspreads (where you have a packet in the hand while with the other hand you make a back armspread) have been in the encyclopedia since publication years ago. however, you asked me to name the LAST video I saw it in, and yes you're correct, it was n00bs copying D+M.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
i know what you mean, and you have LOTS more card knowledge than me, its just 99% of people on here would associate that move with D+M...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results