Magic is Dead - Clarification

Sep 1, 2007
As a lot of you know, over the past couple weeks, the members of the "Magic is Dead" group have posted videos on youtube, most of which have sparked controversy. Here are a couple links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0jcpV_tuSY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SClZVlMI6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD53kQmhCi8

After watching those, your probably thinking the same thing I am, WHAT A FREAKIN JOKE! The point of this thread is to get some clarification from SOMEBODY who is involved, whether it be d+m, R3man, a theory11 team member, somebody that can tell me what the deal with this whole thing is. A lot of people, including me, have lost respect for d+m because of this. Camera tricks, unoriginality, what makes these people so special? They only do gimmicked tricks and are d+m clones? Is that it? Is having no talent and just looking emo and "street" magic's future? If anybody is causing magic to be dead, its these guys.

This is 'Daniels Project' so to speak.

Honestly I had the feeling it could all be a big joke until the other day when I found out some of the 'effects' will be sold.

For example the 'Mid Air Colour Change' which is one of the most ridiculous effects ive come across. And I really hope Daniel doesnt release this as I know when people discover the 'Gimmick' they will be very displeased.

I hope this is just a laugh.. I really do.

Oct 19, 2007
okkkkk............. tell me if Im wrong but I only see two camera tricks( GIANNI'S- Eat the deck and his color change that looks similar to CHANGE). The rest are REAL tricks most likely old tricks that got modified over time but this magic circle was suppose to be people who had the same Idealism as DM in magic so idk why your tripping over this so much really I enjoyed them

If you don't have anything good to say don't say it at all :):p:)

Oct 19, 2007
This is 'Daniels Project' so to speak.

Honestly I had the feeling it could all be a big joke until the other day when I found out some of the 'effects' will be sold.

For example the 'Mid Air Colour Change' which is one of the most ridiculous effects ive come across. And I really hope Daniel doesnt release this as I know when people discover the 'Gimmick' they will be very displeased.

I hope this is just a laugh.. I really do.

And since when did DM ever have a Areal Color Change? I thought that was Gianni and he hasn't released it yet so how do you know its the same gimmick maybe its something revolutionary who knows..........

Oct 19, 2007
I love there wine trick and the moving glass trick I really want to know how there done, I hope DM releases them but if he doesn't then I will always have tricks that make me go " WTF " lol

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
I just wanted to add my two cents to this "thread."

Personally, I thought the videos were excellent. They had good music and nice magic effects. I was actually entertained by them and it sure as heck beats watching someone shuffle cards with their feet or doing a million sybil variations in a row.

I also fail to see the controversy. Probably the majority of the people who have heard of Daniel Madison and Magic is Dead post in these "faddish magic" forums. I don't say that as a negative comment, but these topics are not well known outside of these circuses. I personally enjoy Daniel Madison's material and have purchased quite a few things from him.

Nobody is really freaking out about this "magic is dead" website. Except for the small/limited community here.

Not sure what the problem is here....

Oct 19, 2007
I just wanted to add my two cents to this "thread."

Personally, I thought the videos were excellent. They had good music and nice magic effects. I was actually entertained by them and it sure as heck beats watching someone shuffle cards with their feet or doing a million sybil variations in a row.

I also fail to see the controversy. Probably the majority of the people who have heard of Daniel Madison and Magic is Dead post in these "faddish magic" forums. I don't say that as a negative comment, but these topics are not well known outside of these circuses. I personally enjoy Daniel Madison's material and have purchased quite a few things from him.

Nobody is really freaking out about this "magic is dead" website. Except for the small/limited community here.

Not sure what the problem is here....

Im 100% behind you:)

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
So I went to their website and I don't get it.... Is is like a new magic website to buy effects or something???:confused:

Feb 14, 2008
If the "eat the deck trick" is supposed to be real then why would anyone in their right mind use a deck of wynns when bikes are way cheaper and easier to get? Just a thought...

Sep 4, 2007
If the "eat the deck trick" is supposed to be real then why would anyone in their right mind use a deck of wynns when bikes are way cheaper and easier to get? Just a thought...

Some magicians don't perform based on what's cheap and what's not. There are people who still open packs of Jerry's to use and not to collect; what's to stop people from using Wynns, which are far cheaper, for an Internet video?

Just a thought.

And since when did DM ever have a Areal Color Change? I thought that was Gianni and he hasn't released it yet so how do you know its the same gimmick maybe its something revolutionary who knows..........
You may of seen my video of an Areial color change, and I emailed R3MAN and it was Exile by Gianni. Let me tell you, you will be dispointed when you find out the gimmick and how its done.

JDEN

EDIT: I take back my comment its a good change its simple and nice. The video I made was of the most basic routine. Gianni's routine is supose to be a very advanced routine with diferent tricks building up to the change. I cant wait to see a video of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Let me begin by saying that one thing is lacking from this thread... Facts.
Has anybody taken the time to ask what MiD is? So far, all perceptions of MiD are self-made, which does amuse us, in an interesting way, not a pompous one.

Back in December06/January07, d+M and I launched TheUMC at a site called Magic is Dead dot com, which would be the home of the future UMC - Underground Magic Circle. A few months later, during development of the UMC, Theory11.com came on to the scene, who shared the exact same principals, goals and morals as The UMC and so d+M decided to shut down the UMC, not for fear of competition, but to focus all of the energy from the UMC to support Theory11.com. This was a professional and moral decision.

So what is Magic is dead?
At the moment daniel is using the MiD website to support, help and mentor beginners and/or up-and-coming performers who he sees potential in. Apart from being an artist, d+M also manages 12 magicians in the UK (a few of whom are linked at d+Ms site.) All of the 12 performers are real performers; meaning that they work as performers, they do not spend their time in forums answering to remarks from people who spend everyday in forums and they do not perform magic for your approval, their magic is for laypeople and clientele.

The artists spoken of in this thread are linked to MiD through their videos, which is their way of showing their respect to the foundation that supports them. Although d had little to do with these videos he will be working closely with all of his artists after his next big project, and so far, there are no plans for the release of any of the mentioned artists material.

On behalf of G, i do need to clear something up: The Areal color-change, Exile. Anybody actually seen this? A video or live performance of this? I thought not, the color change is NOTHING like the video you speak of and I'm sure you'll all be pleasantly surprised when/if you ever see it.

On behalf of myself and d+M, lose respect if you will, but please start by finding out the facts, as in this case you are losing respect for those who are doing very respectful things for the future of magic. MAGIC IS DEAD without the magician, so to those comments and attitudes shared by Creeper and Eddie, thank you for keeping us constantly amused, for it is you that keeps magic dead, by removing the real magician from the concept and not understanding that magic is for the spectators, not the performer.

R

ps. I'd be more than happy to answer any further questions on MiD and wil keep my eye on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results