My Card Press

Sep 1, 2007
great machine drawings on the most recent one. here are the problems with your line of thinking:

1. this design requires an additional tool (wrench of some kind) to work the bolts. Apply Occam's Razor to your design and you will begin to see it resemble the older card presses (where the handle is built into the tightening bolt/nut)

2. what's wrong with a porper?

3. if you want something goofy looking and ugly and ridiculously cheap that will work to press the cards GREAT, just go to any hardware store and get some heavy duty spring clips as they use for jumper cables (you can get the clips separately for like $2) then, just use some metal or plexiglass plates (anything flat and hard) and put them on either side of your deck and clamp it.

So, on one hand you deserve accolades for having a creative idea, and actually DOING it. genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration right?

However, your design utterly fails from a systems engineering perspective because it is heavier, more expensive, bulkier and uglier, and more complex to use (requiring additional tools), than ANY of the myriad of subsitutional products that would accomplish the same thing.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
great machine drawings on the most recent one. here are the problems with your line of thinking:

Thanks! I love AutoCAD, and this gave me an excuse to use it; can't forget everything for Drafting II next year!

this design requires an additional tool (wrench of some kind) to work the bolts. Apply Occam's Razor to your design and you will begin to see it resemble the older card presses (where the handle is built into the tightening bolt/nut)

That is one of the biggest problems, and we're still working on a solution to it. I don't want it to look like older card presses, though; I want something new and original. So it'll take some more thinking on our part before we get it right.

2. what's wrong with a porper?

Nothing at all. I just like building stuff, and I love the feeling I get when I use it... because I know I at least helped in "bringing it to life", so to speak.

if you want something goofy looking and ugly and ridiculously cheap that will work to press the cards GREAT, just go to any hardware store and get some heavy duty spring clips as they use for jumper cables (you can get the clips separately for like $2) then, just use some metal or plexiglass plates (anything flat and hard) and put them on either side of your deck and clamp it.

I may have mentioned this, but I may have forgotten it; we originally started with something like that, but it didn't work the best (what we had, anyway), so we decided to make our own card press.

So, on one hand you deserve accolades for having a creative idea, and actually DOING it. genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration right?

Yup, I definitely had fun doing it.

However, your design utterly fails from a systems engineering perspective because it is heavier, more expensive, bulkier and uglier, and more complex to use (requiring additional tools), than ANY of the myriad of subsitutional products that would accomplish the same thing.

I agree with you on that... that's why this is just a prototype and we're still working a newer, easier design. I don't think it's ugly, though- I think it looks awesome. Maybe that's just me, though.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it, and I'll let you guy know after this weekend if we come up with anything. We're also thinking about maybe using wood for the design, making it lighter, and therefore less costly to ship.

Thanks again, though!

Sep 1, 2007
not bad but do you realize that if you tried to get penguin to sell them, they would buy the first batch, and start copying them and you'd be out of the loop lol. it happened to Sankey!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
not bad but do you realize that if you tried to get penguin to sell them, they would buy the first batch, and start copying them and you'd be out of the loop lol. it happened to Sankey!

I've never seen any proof of Penguin's bad ethics, and I've contacted both Lee Asher and Jay Sankey about it. Both of them were rather vague about "Penguin's bad business morals/ethics". So until I get some real proof, I'm going just to ignore any quips about Penguin's ethics.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Try using wing nuts instead of standard hex nuts, this way you don't have to carry around a tool to press and open it up every time.

That's "on the theoretical drawing board" for things to add. We just didn't have any that worked the night we built this. Once again, this is not the best we can do, we just made it at about 9:00 PM using things we found laying around the garage.

I have a feeling that even with the never versions I would still put hex nuts on, at least the ones I will keep, because you can apply more pressure using a socket wrench to press them. But, if we do every sell these, we might consider putting wing nuts on them, and including hex nuts in the package if the buyer wanted to use those instead.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results