Dangerous vs The Devil's Picturebook

Oct 16, 2007
Dangerous vs The Devil's Picturebook and The Paper Engine vs Art of Astonishment(V.1)

Ok, well I'm off to California tomorrow (woohoo!) and currently I'm in a bit of a struggle on either to choose Dangerous and TDP. I need your help on which would be a lot better. Which will last me in the long run, which has better content etc etc.

The same goes for The Paper Engine and Art of Astonishment Vol. 1

Pros and Cons for them would certainly shed some light and probably make my decision a LOT easier

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
England
I don't own Dangerous but all the reviews say it is very good. Of course you also get flourishes.

Devil's picturebook, I got hold of recently and I'm very pleased. Although I havn't done much of it yet.
First off the effects, I like them all and tricks like Smoke and Zamiel's Rose are very visual. The effects seem (so far) fairly complicated but not impossible :)
THe only thing I would say is that most of this magic is meant to be done sitting down, at a table. Seeing as I am interested in street kind of magic I'm working on varying these slightly to make them work for me.
There are also the psychological effects, which I haven't tackled yet...
Derren teaches the effects very well also, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So yeah, not really that much advise, that's just like a quick little bit on TDP. Check out the reviews on this forum also :)

Hope this helped

-S

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
With the Devil's Picture book and Dangerous it comes down to personal preference. Both are amazing Dangerous has the flourishes and some incredible visual magic. Where Derron's DVD the psychology is amazing and it gives you a real insight of what one of the best not the best performer right now is thinking.

As for the Paper Engine AoA vol 1 that is difficult decision. The paper enguine teaches some very nice slights and tricks of how to use them. But AoA is just so big personally I would get AoA volume 3, as I find it the best in the series.

As for the dangerous devils' picture book that is more of a difficult question as there is just so many good things about both pieces.

Apr 28, 2008
I would recommend getting Dangerous first, the effects are easier and more practical for the real world. The Devil's Picturebook is very interesting and one of the best DVD's I own however I find that i'm not often in a situation that is suitable to perform the effects on it. The real value of the Devil's Picturebook is seeing Derren Brown's thinking and watching him perform.
Dangerous will give you effects that you will be able to use all the time in many situations.

Jun 4, 2008
London
I think the devils picture book is brilliant, i think his invisible deal is worth getting the dvd for all by itself however saying that the invisible deal is only one of the few tricks that aren't intended to be preformed sitting at a table so if that isn't for you then get dangerous which is also brilliant

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Get Dangerous if you want walkaround, little setup type stuff.
Get TDP if you like table/psychological stuff.

Get The Paper Engine if you want awesome card sleights and effects.
Get AoA if you want more than just cards.

That basically sums it all up.

Cheers,
Shanku

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
There are reviews posted for Paper Engine and Dangerous. Art of Astonishment is pretty great stuff and a classic series that you really want on your shelf!

Cheers!

Oct 16, 2007
Alright thanks guys. I've ordered Dangerous already, but I'm still debating over Paper Engine and AoS. So I still need some help. For what it's worth, I'm better than a beginner but less than Intermediate. I like card magic and stuff that isn't cards are still a lot of fun.

So which book, would be more of a bang for my buck? Which teaches good tricks that I can use for a variety of audiences and has tips on presentation, misdirection and tips on how to make myself a "better" magician?

My question may be unclear, but if anyone needs clarification, I'd be happy to correct myself

Thanks guys

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Alright thanks guys. I've ordered Dangerous already, but I'm still debating over Paper Engine and AoS. So I still need some help. For what it's worth, I'm better than a beginner but less than Intermediate. I like card magic and stuff that isn't cards are still a lot of fun.

So which book, would be more of a bang for my buck? Which teaches good tricks that I can use for a variety of audiences and has tips on presentation, misdirection and tips on how to make myself a "better" magician?

My question may be unclear, but if anyone needs clarification, I'd be happy to correct myself

Thanks guys

They both have all your requirements. It's just that AoA has more than just cards while The Paper Engine has ONLY card material.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
You cannot really go wrong with either book. I paper engine is a better read however (if that is important). After each slight or effect there is a page or so post thoughts section. I believe it teaches the effects better, but there are nowhere near as many. I feel that it is great because each effect builds on the slights you have already learned. For example after a 6 pages of learning the gravity half pass you learn a great simple sandwich routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results