Trilogy Tricks reactions

Jan 24, 2008
I did hoffzy osbourne to a kid in lunch last year and when i revealled his card between the aces he was speechless. Then he started to just laugh and said, "that's insane." there were some other people watching too and their reactions were just as good.

Feb 28, 2008
Tivo 2.0 is awesome, but sadly doesn't get much reaction... one of my boys does it and no one seems to care. I feel that the way he presents it, there's sort of a disconnect between the second card displayed and the audience.

Other that, The Queens I think is the best trick off of the Trilogy as it's so simple to follow for audiences.

And I've done Hedberg's Peak a few times... It gets little reaction. It's more of a head scratcher you might want to do earlier in a set sort of to bring stuff back down.

Apr 28, 2008
In most cases you probably won't get people running away and screaming using effects from The Trilogy but to me that doesn't really matter.

I like to use Trilogy effects in a more relaxed atmosphere such as in a cafe or a bar. In these situations i'm going for 'Whoa, that's cool' reactions. I'm trying to entertain people not give them a live changing experience and have them running round screaming etc. For this, I think the Trilogy is perfect. If you want to have your audience screaming I suggest you look elsewhere.

Dec 10, 2007
I get great reactions from magicians...

My favorite is the queens and ive gotten some awesome reactions from laymen and magicians a like. (the clipshift kills) i usually will combine that with collectors and i get awesome reactions when i do the "top shot". I actually had someone say at the end of "collecting queens" "I dont know what the hell you just did but you are badass with those cards and that was awesome."

So no you wont get anyone thinking your a sorcerer or anything but if you take the time to make things smooth and you get your patter down people will really respect your handling of cards and still love your magic.

just my two cents on the matter.

D

Deleted member 2755

Queens is great, but I don't know the clipshift. :( I also do Hedberg's Peak a lot. They both get great reactions.

-Doug

Oct 3, 2007
germany
In my opinion, the tricks on the Trilogy do not get as much of an external reaction as some other, perhaps simpler, tricks do. They do however seem to have a large mentally confusing element to them. They are more the kind of tricks that would either induce the thought of "Wow, this guy's good." (eg. the Queens) or a blank stare as they stand there for a couple minutes trying to understand what the heck just happened. ;)

The few times I've performed the tricks (still working on them) I've gotten good reactions. On a side note, these generally aren't the kind of tricks you would want to do in a hectic situation as they require quite a bit of concentration from the spectators (Hedbergs Peak and Déja Vu for example). Save them for a calmer environment where you have the full (or as close as possible to it) attention of the audience. :)

There is however one trick that has never failed to get a great reaction for me: Hand to Mouth. In combination with an ambitious card routine it kills :p.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I dont know how you get bad reactions with TiVo 2.0 people done care about that first change. They have seen most of it before (colour changes) but when you pull the card out of the centre for the deck and show the first card I often get gasps and laughs.

The only thing I dont like about the tricks on trilogy and this is in no way a disrespect to D&D, they seem to be preformed at the audience not with them. It is good to learn a lot of the slights off trilogy, but you often need to add patter to the effects. I understand that Dan and Dave wanted you to create your own, however I see the material on trilogy appearing on youtube constantly. More often than no it is with minimal patter and a soft soundtrack too it. Something that I often use with twinsplit remix is force the three of clubs let them take it. Position it to the top turn over the top card ask if that this is your card that gets a decent reaction. Then say there is something inresting you can do with this card proceed to do the twinsplit and your done.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Has anybody here ever performed Card to mouth?
That trick ALWAYS gets great reactions.
My audience is always freaking out when I do this trick.
The amazing part is that I must have performed this trick over 50 times and nobody ever catches me.
The trick is just that dam good and too dam deceiving.

The key to huge reactions from this effect is snap your fingers over the deck and wait until they look up at you.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
The amazing part is that I must have performed this trick over 50 times and nobody ever catches me.

That's what you get for having good misdirection skills. ;)

On Topic//
I don't often perform tricks from the Trilogy; I find that they are, as stated before, tricks that often cause confusion on the spectators' part. They're good tricks, but the effects are rather hard to follow because one precedes the other in such a short amount of time.

I use Hedberg's Peak on the people it was meant for- that is, the spectator who hassles and heckles you. It usually shuts them up.

When performing other transposition effects, I include TiVo 2.1. Yes, 2.1.

Dec 30, 2007
That's what you get for having good misdirection skills. ;)

The great thing is, a friggin' monkey ccould do Hand to Mouth. At first when I saw the explanation, I thought "Yeah right, who's this going to fool?" But the built-in misdirection is so perfect, you'd have to have no sleight of hand and even then it would be hard to flub it.

OK, maybe I'm over-exaggerating, but it's an easy, killer effect!

May 1, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Every trick from the trilogy is great but the ones that I find get good reactions are subway and hand to mouth because there just things no one would ever think of but i actually think that the tricks in the trilogy are made to mostly fool magicians into thinking imposibility. Just my opinion...

Nico

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
So I finally got around to going to YouTube and checking out this "Hand to Mouth" effect that everybody raves about when The Trilogy comes up. I was kind of shocked. Oz Pearlman uses this in his ACR, and this EXACT same thing was taught on Born to Perform Card Magic, which was released in... 2003.

I hope the Bucks aren't claiming this as original.

Apr 28, 2008
So I finally got around to going to YouTube and checking out this "Hand to Mouth" effect that everybody raves about when The Trilogy comes up. I was kind of shocked. Oz Pearlman uses this in his ACR, and this EXACT same thing was taught on Born to Perform Card Magic, which was released in... 2003.

They have never claimed it as original, I believe the unique part of their version is the addition of Simon Lovell's Floop.

Dec 30, 2007

Are you sure it's the EXACT method? I'll have to check that out.

And I rarely use the FLOOP, because I use H2M as part of an ACR.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results