Diary of a Nitwit Magician

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2007
Why did you do that? He had a good experience, and you destroyed it.

To be blunt- Because I didn't like your diary entry after mine (page 15 of this thread). It was kind of lame, and in my opinion, the character had developed enough to be able to decide what was healthy for his magic and what was not (deciding to take a gig where he only had 6 days to prepare, with no experience whatsoever in performing at an organised event).

To be blunt- Because I didn't like your diary entry after mine (page 15 of this thread). It was kind of lame, and in my opinion, the character had developed enough to be able to decide what was healthy for his magic and what was not (deciding to take a gig where he only had 6 days to prepare, with no experience whatsoever in performing at an organised event).
He'd had a gig before.

Day 28

I got my first paid gig! My mom knows this one lady at her job who's kid's birthday is coming up, and she said that she wanted me to perform for her! The kid is 8 years old, and it's going to be SOOOO easy. Kids are so easily entertained, I'll do a routine and take my $400! I'm thinking of doing an impromptu, off-the-cuff sort of thing, doing tricks as I think of them, and then throwing in some humor- one of the attendees is Asian, is there a way I could work that into a joke?

Anyway, I'm going to bring all my best tricks- the LF Monte, of course, Stigmata, Wounded (as soon as it finishes downloading) and of course my homemade Raven and Ultrasmoke. It should blow these kids away. Also, on the part where you force a card in the David Blaine trick (It's the Classical Force, I believe) do you have to underjog or whatever the card towards the spectator to make them choose it? I know kids are stupid so they'll probably fall for it easily.

So wish me luck in my first gig! I'm hoping to amaze these kids, and I know Wounded is going to blow them away.

P.S.: If anyone knows where I can download Sam the Barhop, please PM me!

See?

Mar 29, 2008
Hey DJ - I like where you went with it - I have two more entries I am working on, then we can tackle this direction - I like the diary in the diary concept and learning from someone else's journey - it opens some doors.

Also, I am glad he pulled out of the pro environment - it is one thing to take a few gigs - and Ling Lings post was a pack handed comment on getting gigs and doing everything you know...or don't know...and we can assume that the first gig...a kid's show...was not his real first gig - not to him anymore at least, as growth has occured in the character.

Now he has a little bit of hands on experience - and understands from practical experience what is needed - again DJ - great work.

Moving on.

Oct 6, 2007
Woops! Forgot about that gig.

However, with my entry I wanted to show how the character now realized that taking gigs without the necessary experience or preparation is NOT the way to go. Personally, I made the same mistake, and yes, it turned out EXACTLY the way as described in the diary entry by Morgician.

When I get around to compiling the diary entries into ONE pdf, maybe we could have alternate versions, each, where the magician goes through a different journey.

If we decide to do that, we'll need some GOOD diary entries from people besides Morgician and I. Hopefully some other people can write GOOD entries. I'll also need a lot of help with the compiling of the entries and creating alternate versions.

This could be a VERY useful tool for any magician and hopefully we'll be able to distribute the diary to thousands of magicians around the world.

(I think I may be thinking a BIT too far ahead).

Oh and Morgician, thanks again!

Mar 29, 2008
Day 69

I found a video called “Show Off” by Brian Tudor – it is wicked! I have spent the last few days learning Sybil…I bet nobody does it – it is what magic should look like – fast, furious, skilled - It is so interesting to watch. I think people will love this kind of magic. This Brian Tudor guy is awesome, and I wanted to tell him that, so I looked him up…I called him, he asked if I was BrianationX – and even though I said no, he didn’t believe me. He yelled at me and reminded me about some restraining order – wow, I guess some artists are a bit eccentric!? Anyhow, I think XCM is going to blow people away – and finally people will see how good I am!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 6, 2007
Day 69

I found a video called “Show Off” by Brian Tudor – it is wicked! I have spent the last few days learning Sybil…I bet nobody does it – it is what magic should look like – fast, furious, skilled - It is so interesting to watch. I think people will love this kind of magic. This Brian Tudor guy is awesome, and I wanted to tell him that, so I looked him up…I called him, he asked if I was BrianationX – and even though I said no, he didn’t believe me. He yelled at me and reminded me about some restraining order – wow, I guess some artists are a bit eccentric!? Anyhow, I think XCM is going to blow people away – and finally people will see how good I am!

Never mind. Should've waited for the next entry. Now it makes sense...

Mar 29, 2008
Day 70

Wow – I am not good at knowing what audiences expect yet – I was out at a party, and a friend (Paul) was bragging about some of my effects, and he asked me to do some magic for them. I pulled out my deck of cards and started doing flourished like crazy – people really enjoyed it, but one of Paul’s friends said, “How is this magic”? I asked him what he meant and he replied, “Well…I can’t do what you are doing, it is obvious it takes skill…and it is fun to watch, but I don’t see anything magical about it”. I think Paul’s friend is right – another person told me it was confusing and that they didn’t see any magic, it was more like juggling. Everyone seemed to like it, but it was in a different way. I can understand why it is not really magic, and the only similarity in doing card magic and XCM is the fact they use cards.

I don’t want to be a Cardist – I want to be a Magician, so I am going to give up working on flourishes AS the magic, but maybe use some as parts that aren’t suppose to be magical. My mentor says some guys argue over whether or not to use skill – so I am not sure what way to head, as I think I found a happy medium…but what I do know is this: Card juggling is as much magic as card juggling is actual juggling.

Back to learning how to make my magic look moveless and more like the idea of real magic.

Day 71

My mentor has an idea that he help will be really me in magic; he's taking me to one of his magic discussions! It's a group of of about 10 magicians, and they meet every week. They review tricks, help each other with effects, brainstorm, and hang out. It's in two days, I can't wait! Also, I've been reading my my mentor's diary, and it has lots of good knowledge in it. There's stories about how he handled hecklers, performed for many different people, and travled the world. I think I'm really learning things from this.

The magician's age seems to be in a constant state of flux. He is in grade school, and yet hangs around bars? He is over the age of 21, and yet his tutor who has been into magic for 20 years has been doing magic longer that the Nit-wit has been alive.?:confused:

I am so sick of this thread.

Please don't get mad at me, morgician, when I take this thread in a different direction.

Day 5,494

Hello Diary.

It's been a long time. (fifteen years.)

My tutor, has died. I cried long and hard at the funeral.

Now, looking back at some of the things I wrote, I realize what a idiot I Used to be.

I am currently working as a professional magician in Vegas.

As I look at my previous notes, I decide to open a magic school. I will try to keep others from making the same mistakes. I think I will name it after my tutor.

Jonathan. a.k.a.: The Nit-Wit.

PS I listen to Beatles music now!

Mar 29, 2008
I would like to dedicate this next post to the ignorance of those that only added negativity to this thread – as well as those that added great incite and creativity. You know who you are. I am sorry that this character never got to reach its full potential on this forum – however, for those that got it – you will see our Nitwit magician again…perhaps in print and with a story line uninterrupted by poor manners. Thanks for those that laughed and saw the irony…in the media driven ironic Alanis Morrisette – rain on your wedding day way…not the actual ironic way.

The moral – many of you just ruined something that had potential …and the sad part is – you are doing the same with magic on a daily basis. To those that will remain unnamed, but are known on this forum and many of you have posted in this thread with only negativity – YOU ARE THE NITWIT MAGICIAN. Do us a favour and take your self-loathing posts and give up magic. You won’t find happiness in magic…you must find it in yourself.

RIP Nitwit Magician - your existence...like the concept of magic...was for the few...not the many.

Mar 29, 2008
The death of NWM

Day 6666

Dear Tom,

If you got this note, you are reading the last entry in my diary.

I haven’t written in my diary in a long time before or after the death of my mentor. I think I started drinking way too much…my friends…if you can call them that, they never answer my calls – b@stards... You are my only friend Tom, my other so called friends, say I have a problem…they have a problem…they don’t understand how things are. The pressure put on me…other magicians…the politics…my manager…my f*uckin manager, he is all pissed about things now that my show is cancelled. Whatever…who cares about the money?! It is the lasting impression that matters.

I just want them to remember me…I have decided to do an escape, if you can call it that – where I will be handcuffed and placed upside down in water. Tonight I will recapture my once found fame. It doesn’t really matter what happens, as long as they remember me…and they will remember me. They remembered Houdini for this…and it wasn’t even true – an urban legend becomes a modern day reality. Nobody will miss me…they won’t…but they will remember me…they will wish that they paid more attention to me while I was alive –it has been said that crude absurdities, trivial nonsense, and sublime truths are equally potent in readying people for self-sacrifice if they are accepted as the sole, eternal truth. You understand Tom…when you have released something new for them to steal as their own, they love you…when you are on a different page than them…they despise you…have no uses for you…judge you quickly and harshly…with preconceived notions as their educator. FOOLS!

Tom, you are not an A-hole…actually, you were one of the few magicians I have ever met that was not. You cared enough to help me, be honest, while not being negative or judging – you are a good person Tom, I wish you the best with your life and in magic. As good as I got, I never had what you had…I never connected…I never saw what magic can really do for others and myself…I was too interested in the next big trick. As a token of our friendship, I have included the key that would have saved me…as I hope when you hold it that you feel my spirit and passion for magic…that one day I live on forever through magicians…even if they are all A-holes that will never get laid.

Good bye my friend...Poof!

thehauntedkey.jpg

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
On a more serious note, It appears that the nitwit has gone from this topic, but I'm sure if everyone was to look inside themselves they'd find a little nitwit in there for sure...

This topic I feel raised alot of interesting ideas and points and should be learnt from.

Don't be a nitwit and most importantly think about what you're doing and saying before carrying out the actions. Take the time to study and don't be disrespectful to other magicians, even if they don't idolize Brian Tudor and push for your full magical potential. I'm sure the nitwit came to realize his mistakes towards the end...

Night Night,

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results