Ditching a card

Oct 7, 2007
Missouri
Hey man, here is one of my favorite ways to ditch a card. First, make sure you have the jokers in your deck. Once the effect is done, control the gaff card to the top then run through the deck and say, "Lets take out the jokers, we do not need those in the deck..." -- when you take out the jokers place them on top of the deck, steal off the gaff and place the jokers with the gaff card in your pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with David that's perfect but i don't see how from the spectators you'd take the jokers out in the middle of the routine and not the beginning but i think the best way like i think as already stated is doing the gamblers cop then while angleing your body to the left to hand off the deck so your left or back pocket is now your back from the spectators view and when all is covered slip it in your pockets.

All in the simple actions of handing off a deck, god i love misdirection.

Nico

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hey man, hear is one of my favorite ways to ditch a card. first make sure you have the jokers in your deck. When the effect is done control the gaff card to the top, next run through the deck and say lets take out the jokers we do not need those in the deck, when you take out the jokers place them on top of the deck, steal off the gaff and place the jokers with the gaff card in your pocket.

yeh i could see that working.. but removing the jokers is something you'd do at the start of a routine.. and this effect isn't an opener.. and regardless, if you've been able to do at LEAST one effect with the jokers still in there, you don't really need to take 'em out..

just a thought.

Feb 21, 2008
In Your Closet
yeh i could see that working.. but removing the jokers is something you'd do at the start of a routine.. and this effect isn't an opener.. and regardless, if you've been able to do at LEAST one effect with the jokers still in there, you don't really need to take 'em out..

just a thought.

If you were going to do a sandwich routine right after the trick with the card you needed to steal, you could use David's idea to steal out the gaff with the jokers and put them in your pocket. Then you could say, "Oh yeah, we actually do need the jokers." Take out only the jokers(while leaving the gaff in your pocket). Then do the simple sandwich with the jokers.
If that made any sense.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
in my typical fashion of having to better myself, i've now just made the effect that much more complicated by adding a double-facer..

so now i have to do a ditch, a steal and another ditch..

but my god if i can pull this off it'll be the greatest effect ever.

Feb 28, 2008
Does your effect invole a signed card? In that case, putting the sharpie back in your pocket is a perfect reason to go into your pockets.

When I first got into magic, I always thought that magicians let spectators sign cards so it would be "one of a kind" but really, it creates so much misdirection as they sign the card and as you take it out and put it back in your pocket.

Anyways, I really want to see this effect... Hope you upload it when you're happy with it.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
This is my favourite way of adding cards to the deck.

Let a spec shuffle, emphasise the fairness and then make someone else cut the cards, when they're all done, take the deck and shove it in your pocket while saying something like "You didn't think i was gonna use that deck after you messed it up for me..."

Ha ha ha, they're all laughing but when you slipped half the deck into you pocket, you grabbed the (four aces or whatever) and have now got them at the top.

Don't know if this helps but some folk might like to use it.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Does your effect invole a signed card? In that case, putting the sharpie back in your pocket is a perfect reason to go into your pockets.

When I first got into magic, I always thought that magicians let spectators sign cards so it would be "one of a kind" but really, it creates so much misdirection as they sign the card and as you take it out and put it back in your pocket.

Anyways, I really want to see this effect... Hope you upload it when you're happy with it.

i REALLY REALLY want it to be signed, but it's just physically impossible. and i mean that literally. unless i used carbon paper.. cards... :confused:

well i could actually kinda half do it.. i need double faced cards. just ordered some then, should get 'em pretty soon.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Jimmah, don't over complicate the trick. Don't make it involve too many sleights or gimmicks.

And as for getting rid of the gaffed card(s), I have a method which works for me, and will arouse very little to no suspicion.

However, before I tell you how to do this, I need to know one thing:

- Do you hand out the ENTIRE deck for examination at the end?

- If so, can you bottom palm in your left hand?

Mar 30, 2008
DC
Use the gambler's cop the get rid of the card in your left hand (right hand if you are left handed) and do a one handed fan or any one handed shuffle to distract the audience.

I do a bridge shuffle with one hand. Personally, I have found many people can barely do a bridge with two hands, so with one hand, i really catch their attention.

The hand that has the card palmed casually lags in front of my front pocket, which the card is then dropped into.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
yeh, i've figured out how i'm going to do it..

i'll have about 3 cards that i need to ditch.. they get passed to the bottom of the deck, then gambler's cop them away and i ditch them in my back pocket in the motion of turning my body to do a ribbon spread.

it's pretty natural. there's the misdirection of the spread as well as the natural turn to do the spread which provides a bit of cover to ditch the cards.

and benjamind, it does seem like it's going to be massively overcomplicated, but its really not. and for the work needed to ditch and such, it is DEFINITELY worth it in the end and i mean that.

thanks guys for your help on this.
but there's just one more part to this which will finish the trick off. i'll do it in another thread.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Double stick tape on the back of your card case, card case laying in front of you, out of the way. Then, palm/cop the card off, and reach for the case. Bring your hands together, and place the case, tape side down, on top of the card you have palmed. You can then drop, move, do whatever with the case, and no one will notice the card stuck to it if you are careful and don't make a big deal of it. In this way you can also show your hands empty. Case the cards, pocket the case, and pop off the double.

I hope this makes sense. If not, lemme know and I'll try to be more clear.

-ThrallMind

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Double stick tape on the back of your card case, card case laying in front of you, out of the way. Then, palm/cop the card off, and reach for the case. Bring your hands together, and place the case, tape side down, on top of the card you have palmed. You can then drop, move, do whatever with the case, and no one will notice the card stuck to it if you are careful and don't make a big deal of it. In this way you can also show your hands empty. Case the cards, pocket the case, and pop off the double.

I hope this makes sense. If not, lemme know and I'll try to be more clear.

-ThrallMind

NICE! That's a realy good idea actually.

Thanks man!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results