Surfaced - First Impressions

Jun 10, 2008
OK, I do not claim to be the finest card magician on this forum- In fact, I am just returning to magic after a 25 year hiatus. By my observations, my fingers are ancient compared to most users on this site; but, Dan and Dave surprised me by how fast the disk arrived and it is indeed signed by Chad as promised...

As you would expect, the production quality of the video, the packaging and overall presentation of the effect is excellent. The sleight itself will be very useful and is different from anything that I am personally familiar with. I find the move(s) difficult; but, Chad breaks the move down into steps that I think, over time, will be manageable to me. As you would expect, the author makes it look easy. I am sure that younger, more nimble hands than mine will come up-to-speed on this quicker than myself.

In short, I like the sleight and have confidence that a lot of people will agree that it is very useful. I don't think that it is reasonable to expect to buy the disc today and perform it tomorrow; but, the included effects seem to be valuable uses for the sleight, although I have not watched the entire disc yet.

More detailed reviews will follow by others; but, personally, I like it...

-Allen M.
Tucson, AZ

Sep 1, 2007
Aw man you are lucky, I still haven't got mine. Got a quick question, on scale how hard is clip shift?
Thanks, Cheers
Andrew

Sep 1, 2007
OK, I do not claim to be the finest card magician on this forum- In fact, I am just returning to magic after a 25 year hiatus. By my observations, my fingers are ancient compared to most users on this site; but, Dan and Dave surprised me by how fast the disk arrived and it is indeed signed by Chad as promised...

As you would expect, the production quality of the video, the packaging and overall presentation of the effect is excellent. The sleight itself will be very useful and is different from anything that I am personally familiar with. I find the move(s) difficult; but, Chad breaks the move down into steps that I think, over time, will be manageable to me. As you would expect, the author makes it look easy. I am sure that younger, more nimble hands than mine will come up-to-speed on this quicker than myself.

In short, I like the sleight and have confidence that a lot of people will agree that it is very useful. I don't think that it is reasonable to expect to buy the disc today and perform it tomorrow; but, the included effects seem to be valuable uses for the sleight, although I have not watched the entire disc yet.

More detailed reviews will follow by others; but, personally, I like it...

-Allen M.
Tucson, AZ

Just a quick question: When did you get yours? I noticed you live in AZ, I am in CA, as are Dan and Dave, placed the order when it came out and still haven't gotten mine...

Jun 10, 2008
Just a quick question: When did you get yours? I noticed you live in AZ, I am in CA, as are Dan and Dave, placed the order when it came out and still haven't gotten mine...

Arrived in yesterday's mail- came in a USPS flat-rate Priority Mail envelope.

One additional note- Some of the instruction is performed with a clear plexiglas block in lieu of the deck of cards- a nice touch allowing great visibility of all fingers in the video.

-adm

Apr 28, 2008
Would you mind giving a brief description of the effects on the DVD?

Also, do they appear to be practical, i.e. can you perform them in front of a fairly large amount of people?

Thanks.

Jun 10, 2008
Aw man you are lucky, I still haven't got mine. Got a quick question, on scale how hard is clip shift?
Thanks, Cheers
Andrew

As I am just returning to magic after a long absence, I am probably not the best judge of difficulty; but, here goes...
It will be a little tough for me to master; but, I think it is easier than many of the effects on Trilogy. Many Dan and Dave effects are beyond what I would consider attempting at my current level of ability; but, I think given some time, I can (and will!) master the clip-shift ok. For me, it is an 8 or 8.5 of 10 in difficulty; but manageable as it can be broken into multiple, individual moves making it easier to master.

HTH,

-adm

Jun 10, 2008
Would you mind giving a brief description of the effects on the DVD?

Also, do they appear to be practical, i.e. can you perform them in front of a fairly large amount of people?

Thanks.

I have NOT reviewed the full performance of all the included effects; but, here is a synopsis...

Free Fall A protruding chosen card visibly falls though the deck, ending up in the hand of the spectator... And then returns to the top of the deck.

fourplay Chosen card turns face-up in the pack, then, after a nice visual change again, the whole pack turns face up, while the chosen card remains face-down.

criterion built on Frank Garcia's Apex Aces and Collectors by Roy Walton, 4 kings are produced in midair are returned to the pack, vanish and re-appear sandwiching 3 selected cards.

rum jungle nice visual effect where a random card visibly changes into a spectator's selection, then changes to a second selection in the spectator's hand...

tricycle uh, wow- I love this. A SINGLE selection is shown individually to 3 different spectators- each of whom then accepts a random card to hold- confirmed not to be their selected card.With a snap, each card is revealed to change into the original selection and ALL ARE DIFFERENT.

clean hook very nice visual behind-the-back four card production technique

Respectfully,

-adm

Aug 31, 2007
I have NOT reviewed the full performance of all the included effects; but, here is a synopsis...

Free Fall A protruding chosen card visibly falls though the deck, ending up in the hand of the spectator... And then returns to the top of the deck.

fourplay Chosen card turns face-up in the pack, then, after a nice visual change again, the whole pack turns face up, while the chosen card remains face-down.

criterion built on Frank Garcia's Apex Aces and Collectors by Roy Walton, 4 kings are produced in midair are returned to the pack, vanish and re-appear sandwiching 3 selected cards.

rum jungle nice visual effect where a random card visibly changes into a spectator's selection, then changes to a second selection in the spectator's hand...

tricycle uh, wow- I love this. A SINGLE selection is shown individually to 3 different spectators- each of whom then accepts a random card to hold- confirmed not to be their selected card.With a snap, each card is revealed to change into the original selection and ALL ARE DIFFERENT.

clean hook very nice visual behind-the-back four card production technique

Respectfully,

-adm

Thanks very much for the review! I really hope my DVD comes tomorrow.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
How strong would you say the effects are?

Are they flashy tricks like in the trilogy? Or are they more "hard hitting" magic effects?

Jun 10, 2008
How strong would you say the effects are?

Are they flashy tricks like in the trilogy? Or are they more "hard hitting" magic effects?

clean hook is certainly a flashy, Dan and Dave-esque effect; but, most are a little less "MTV"... The sleight itself will be used for ALL KINDS of effects...
HTH...

Dec 30, 2007
This DVD sounds great, I may actually have to buy it! Can the clipshift be applied to other existing effects or is it only usable for the tricks described on the DVD? I.e, would it look good in an ACR?

Jun 10, 2008
This DVD sounds great, I may actually have to buy it! Can the clipshift be applied to other existing effects or is it only usable for the tricks described on the DVD? I.e, would it look good in an ACR?

Ok, acronym-challenged old man at work here... What's an ACR? To try to answer your question it will be VERY useful in other effects... An example is outlined on the DVD using the clip shift to control a dribble-selected card to the top of the pack...

Nov 20, 2007
Ok, acronym-challenged old man at work here... What's an ACR? To try to answer your question it will be VERY useful in other effects... An example is outlined on the DVD using the clip shift to control a dribble-selected card to the top of the pack...

an ACR is ambitious card routine that is where the card keeps coming back to the top and in the middle and back to the top multiple times:)

Aug 31, 2007
ACR = Ambitious Card Routine

Sep 1, 2007
the magic world has no reason NOT to buy this dvd

okay fine, money is an issue, and at 40 bucks its no cheapie, but still, if you have the means, go buy it

Oh man. I'm in Alaska, so I guess I'll be waiting another few days yet. 'course, I paid with paypal, so it may take even longer. . .

Is the 26 Shift really a clipshift with half of the deck? Or is it something completely different?

Jun 10, 2008
Oh man. I'm in Alaska, so I guess I'll be waiting another few days yet. 'course, I paid with paypal, so it may take even longer. . .

Is the 26 Shift really a clipshift with half of the deck? Or is it something completely different?
I paid w- paypal too- no delay in shipping... 26 shift is the same, with half the deck; but, different technique, kind-of

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results