My Idea for 1-on-1's

Jun 8, 2008
Hey guys, I love the 1 on 1 section, great teaching on them.

Learning new tricks and flourishes is awesome, but id love to get some ideas from the pros on Audience management, Dealing with hecklers, Ideas for putting together a good routine, strategies for making good patter and story's for the magic. I think it would be a great thing to throw in something different every now and then.

What do you guys / girls think ?

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
I actually really like this idea...

It'd be great to hear from some guys, who do this to make their living, about how to manage crowds, some different heckler tips for different hecklers, and other things of the sort.

SG

Sep 1, 2007
I don't know if it would be fair to take money for that... I mean I would wish some more of these tipps as advices from some pros, just helping, unlike a trick.

joelpaschall

theory11 artist
May 6, 2008
I don't know if it would be fair to take money for that... I mean I would wish some more of these tipps as advices from some pros, just helping, unlike a trick.

I agree, perhaps better off in the media section. The creativity is good though keep the ideas coming guys.

JP

Nov 8, 2007
Hey guys, I love the 1 on 1 section, great teaching on them.

Learning new tricks and flourishes is awesome, but id love to get some ideas from the pros on Audience management, Dealing with hecklers, Ideas for putting together a good routine, strategies for making good patter and story's for the magic. I think it would be a great thing to throw in something different every now and then.

What do you guys / girls think ?

I think the benefits of the 1-on-1s, as well as video, is being able to see how the sleights and tricks are actually supposed to look.

I know how to read, so I don't really need a talking head paraphrasing me condensed information I can get out of any number of books.

All the stuff you want to know--heckler management, routining, writing patter, etc. is out there in abundance.

Nov 8, 2007
One note, Audience Management can only truly be learned through experience and trial and error, no book can teach you that.

I disagree with your use of the word "only." I'd say audience management is best learned from experience and trial and error, but there is still plenty you can learn about audience management by reading about others' past mistakes and workable tactics.

I disagree with your use of the word "only." I'd say audience management is best learned from experience and trial and error, but there is still plenty you can learn about audience management by reading about others' past mistakes and workable tactics.

Sure you can, but reading it does not make it applicable to you or any given performance. It must be practiced to be truly understood and learned. If you read about a sleight, it doesn't make it doable, only practice does, and the same applies for audience management. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) that practice can only be done out there in the trenches.

C=B

Nov 8, 2007
Sure you can, but reading it does not make it applicable to you or any given performance. It must be practiced to be truly understood and learned. If you read about a sleight, it doesn't make it doable, only practice does, and the same applies for audience management. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) that practice can only be done out there in the trenches.

C=B

Of course you have to apply the knowledge--I totally agree. But saying you can't learn something from a book, you can only learn it by doing it, just isn't accurate. You learn HOW to do it from the book, you learn TO do it by putting the knowledge into action. The two have to synergize. Knowledge + Application produces a much better result than aimless trail and error does.

Of course you have to apply the knowledge--I totally agree. But saying you can't learn something from a book, you can only learn it by doing it, just isn't accurate. You learn HOW to do it from the book, you learn TO do it by putting the knowledge into action. The two have to synergize. Knowledge + Application produces a much better result than aimless trail and error does.

Good point, very good point actually.

I still feel that to truly learn to manipulate an audience and control them you have to just do it. No book will offer the 100% right method for every situation, only experience will.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results