Chris Webber and Kevin Parker's Cornered

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
This was posted by a friend of mine some where else. He told me to post this here.

The Official Spam:
The corner of a card is torn off and replaced with a corner from a different card! It is then handed to the spectator to examine! After they frantically examine the card, they have no clue how you did it. The new piece really does appear to be part of the card even while they examine it! You don't even have to attach a 'different' piece - you can restore the original one - and still let them examine it! This is a Chris Webber creation with touch-ups by Kevin Parker. The video you purchase from us will teach you how this works and how to perform it.

-Visual 'tear' and 'restoration'
-Props can be examined and kept
-Easy execution

Basic Effect:
A corner is ripped off a card. A corner from a different card is shown. It fits perfectly onto the previously ripped card. With just a touch, the corner restores leaving the spectator with an impossible mis-made card.

My Thoughts:
You know that great feeling you get when you realize what you bought was totally worth the money? Kind of like the feeling when you buy Reel Magic Magazine? This, unfortunalty, did not give me that feeling. Why? Because this is crap. I'll explain why.

First- You are not able to use ANY brand name cards. No high quality cards can be used here. No cards made by the USPCC. Cheap cards that nobody uses HAVE to be used.

Second- When the card is first displayed, the corner must already be folded. WHY? This is dumb. A spectator can't pick a card. The card must be pre-bent in your pocket. YUCK!

Third- This has serious motivational issues. The first is already stated above. Second, why restore the wrong corner so it's mis-made? That makes no sense. And I KNOW David Forrest agrees with me.

Fourth- The teaching is awful. It seems like Kevin Parker doesn't even know the trick. He has to stop and think what to do. Obviously, he doesn't perform this much. And there's a reason why...

Fifth- This is just terribly produced. No studio, no audience, no class. Kevin Parker is wearing a backwards hat for goodness sake. The quality is low, and is most likely made with a handy cam. Kevin Parker doesn't perform this for real people on the DVD. Why? I think you know.

WHY?
Watch the demo video found on Kevin Parker's website. Does the trick look good? It doesn't to me. So why did I buy this? Because one of effects that may be on an upcoming DVD has to do with a torn and restored corner. And let me say, my creation looks brilliant compared to this.

So...
Should you buy this? ABSOULTLY NOT. This is just terrible. I have to rate it LESS THAN 0/10. My rating for this is -7/10.

What SHOULD I buy?
If you're looking for a torn and restored corner right now, I highly recommend David Forrest's Ripped and Repaired. This is a great approach to the plot. OR, you can wait 'till mine hits the market.

STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THIS.

Jeff

P.S.- A friend told me Chris Webber is a 14 year old kid who made this up in eight minutes. My god...

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
You know, I really don't mind this review but the fact that you say "this product is junk, but mine is really awesome" or something in that nature really discredits the review in my opinion. I know you might just being honest and it's probably true, it's still just something fishy to say.

I saw your post in the cafe as well and thought the same....

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
"Umm...what? I NEVER said anything like that. When I said that mine looks brilliant compared to it, I am saying how bad this product is. I am not promoting my effect. This is SO bad, I think anything looks brilliant to this. Also, you seem to be the only one who thinks that, because nobody else said anything. Also, if I really wanted you to buy mine, I wouldn't have recommended 'Ripped and Repaired.' How is it fishy?

Jeff"

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
"OR, you can wait 'till mine hits the market."
"And let me say, my creation looks brilliant compared to this."

I'm just saying that if you have a similiar effect to the one above, then it's best not to say "this one is junk, but mine is brilliant...."

It's not a good sales pitch friend. ;)

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
"Jokes don't go well over in the cyber-world. If I was trying to promote my effect, which is not even released, I would not promote another man's work. You're taking my words the wrong way. Making things up like "this one is junk, but mine is brilliant" is uncalled for. Once again, I am NOT saying my trick is brilliant. I am saying this is SO bad, it looks brilliant COMPARED TO IT. If you don't understand, get over it, and stop making stuff up.

Jeff"

Sep 10, 2007
Fourth- The teaching is awful. It seems like Kevin Parker doesn't even know the trick. He has to stop and think what to do.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. That's pretty much what I figured as that would be consistent with all of the other effects he's released. It's nice to see him continue that tradition.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jake Samways

It's blatantly obvious how it's done, but I found a video of Chris Webber performing it and he's using Rider Backs.

I thought you said:
First- You are not able to use ANY brand name cards. No high quality cards can be used here. No cards made by the USPCC. Cheap cards that nobody uses HAVE to be used.
Click here to view the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
"Jake, you are correct. Chris does perform this with Bicycle cards. BUT on the DVD Kevin Parker says "Don't buy any cards from the USA playing card company. Don't buy Bees, Aviators, Bicycles. Stay away from those." Usually, someone listens to the DVD instead of going to Youtube to find the answer.

Jeff"

Nov 10, 2007
I have bought many tricks in my time of doing magic some of which were amazing and some of which were terrible I AM BEGGING PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS! YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DO! It is the worst effect!

J

Jake Samways

"Jake, you are correct. Chris does perform this with Bicycle cards. BUT on the DVD Kevin Parker says "Don't buy any cards from the USA playing card company. Don't buy Bees, Aviators, Bicycles. Stay away from those." Usually, someone listens to the DVD instead of going to Youtube to find the answer.

Jeff"

Okay thank you.
And no I didn't go to YouTube to find the answer I googled Chris' name and that video was the result.

Such strong opinions over this effect, I think I'm going to stay far far away from Cornered.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results