Effect Review: The Destiny Effect - Michael Kras

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, first off let me just address something. I know this particular effect has caused a lot of controversy on these forums, not only because some people claim it can't be done but also because some people just plain don't like the creator. Everyone was asking for a video (whether to see whether it was possible or how to do it is another question) or a reasonable review that isn't hyped up by a friend; well, now you've got one of those things and no it's not a video. I PM'd Mike about taking a look at the effect and reviewing it fairly to clear up a lot of the problems people seemed to be having.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Effect: You meet a spectator (they can be a total stranger) for the first time and you show them clear evidence of destiny. How? They merely think of a card--this is a free thought, there is no forcing or psychological ploys--and you introduce a deck of cards. You spread through the cards or have them spread on the table face-up and the spectator removes their thought of card from the spread. You explain about the concept of fate/destiny and show that on the backs of the cards are names, all different. You remind them they could've had a free thought of any card, or could they? The card they thought of is turned over to reveal their own name on the back of their thought of card.

Difficulty: On a scale of 1-10 (1 = easiest, 10 = hardest)
3/10

Method: Well, this certainly is an interesting method but it makes for a very strong effect in the mind of the spectator and on top of that it's practically sleightless.

Yes there is a tiny little gimmick (if you'd even call it that) involved, but I'd wager most of you already have it and it's by no means hard to come by.

The deck is a regular bicycle deck - with the obvious exception of having names on the back :p and you do not have to know the spectators name ahead of time. You do not need an assistant to do this and you certainly do not need to psychologically force a playing card.

You are given two methodologies one of which is easier than the other, but has the downside of looking a little suspect. The other requires the slightest (and I mean slightest) of memory work.

Extra Thoughts: Personally, I think I will use this effect, but sparingly. As is said in the PDF, this is not something you're going to perform everyday but it will serve you well if and when you do use it. It's an extremely powerful effect and Mike has offered a very simple way of doing it.

I think I'll be using my own personal method which allows for an impromptu performance. (meaning without the gimmick) But the gimmick gives a cleaner look.

F.A.Q.

Q: Is there a gimmick?
A: Yes, a tiny one but it won't be seen and you probably already own it.

Q: Is it a trick deck?
A: Nope it's a regular deck of your choice, just with names written across the backs of the cards.

Q: Can the spectator really turn the card over?
A: As Mike has stated, yes they can but it is rather bold and risky to do so.

Q: Is it a free thought?
A: Free as free, can be. If you were to think of a card now, that's how free it would be.

Q: Is there secret writing involved?
A: Nope! All the names are written on the backs of the cards ahead of time, once this is done this is your Destiny Deck and you're set to go.

Q: Do I have to use names?
A: Nope! You could use birthdays, animals, movies, "This card" - "Not this card". It's a very flexible concept.

Overall: Overall, I quite like this effect and I thank Mike for allowing me to take a look at it and review it. The effect described is exactly how it looks to spectators. Once you've written on the deck, you're set to go really. The memory work is not difficult by any means and can be learned as you're writing the deck or 6-10 minutes at most.

If there are any questions, ask away I will answer them honestly. :) Obviously please do not fish for the method or state that you've figured it out and expose it for everyone.

- Sean

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
What about people with crazy names? Or not crazy, that's not too PC, but unusual.. I'm assuming you'd have to have the person's name somewhere in the deck ahead of time if there's no secret writing involved, so performing for 'Mohinder DaNesh' might not go down so well?

I'm quite intrigued by the thought of this effect, It's a nice concept and if it plays as well as you guys make it sound I'm sure you'll have lots of success with it!

Feel free to PM (Or facebook me Mike :p) with your thoughts on this conundrum if you worry about risk of exposure on the forums :)

Cheers,

D.

Sep 1, 2007
The Windy City
Interesting. Michael, I want to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think this is more or less powerful than using a Phil deck? When you perform this, what are the spectator's initial reactions? Can you make a video? Will you be selling this effect? If so, how much?

Please answer. This effect sounds like it has a lot of potential.

JJJP

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
What about people with crazy names? Or not crazy, that's not too PC, but unusual.. I'm assuming you'd have to have the person's name somewhere in the deck ahead of time if there's no secret writing involved, so performing for 'Mohinder DaNesh' might not go down so well?

Well yes, people with "less common" names shall we say, it's not going to go down very well. Another one of the reasons you're not gonna perform this for everyone you come across.

But this is where I like the idea of making your own deck and putting whatever you want on it, you pick the names/dates/animals/variation of snake etc. :)

This is the kind of thing where you learn the spectators name and then decide whether you want to/can perform this for them. I that makes sense :p

- Sean

Dec 30, 2007
Sounds like an incredible effect. Would it be a good idea to make a boy's and a girl's names deck?

Edit: And is there an out if you perform this for a boy named Sue?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
It's an idea to make two decks, definitely. But I think Michael designed it so it's just one deck to carry and you don't have to remember which deck is in which pocket etc.

Yep, there are just names on the deck, not labelled male/female so as long as the spectator has a name that you can use you're set to go. :)

- Sean

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thank you to Sean_Raf for the great review. I'm very happy you like it. It's something I use almost everyday to great reaction and what I love about it is that it is so flexible in handling. It can be performed with or without the little extra something, with numerous sleights or basically self working... it's all very flexible. I've made sure to include numerous handlings as well.

"What if the person's name isn't in the deck?"

Don't do this effect. It's perfectly natural for a magician to ask the group of spectators for their names as an introduction. If none of them have names suited to the cards, then The Destiny Effect never existed in their minds. However, I can assure you that, if you use the guidelines as to the names you put when preparing your Destiny Deck, that you will run into people with a name on the card 90% of the time when performing. It's even common to see numerous people in one group that have "Destiny" names! I have included name charts and other suggestions in my manuscript to assist in making up a Destiny Deck that will be ready for use most of the time.

"If the name card is dirty at the end, what if the spectator wishes to examine it?"

This is an issue brought to my attention. But I have to say, I've been performing this in real situations for 5 months now constantly and I have NEVER had anyone ask to keep or examine the name card. The reasons for this are two-fold:

1. The spectator is often shocked at the personally powerful moment this effect provides that they totally forget to ask the magician any suspicious questions.

2. The variations I have put together involve a very fair handling that should eliminate suspicion.

If you're at all worried about them asking to examine the card, I can tell you right now that it may never happen. At least, in the hundred times I have performed it, I have never had any problems.

"How do you think this plays in comparison to The Phil Deck?"

Hard to say, considering both are very different effects... when looked at generally, they sound similar... "thought-of card has name on back", but it isn
t the spectators name and therefore, while Phil is an extremely strong feat of mentalism, I personally get a lot more mileage out of The Destiny Effect because the effect itself is so personal and therefore merits and stronger, richer, and more genuine reaction. When I perform my magic I tend to play it like a roller coaster ride. I encourage my spectators to scream and have a good time when watching my magic. But when I perform The Destiny Effect, those playful fun screams become genuine states of genuine rich reaction.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thank you to Sean_Raf for the great review. I'm very happy you like it. It's something I use almost everyday to great reaction and what I love about it is that it is so flexible in handling. It can be performed with or without the little extra something, with numerous sleights or basically self working... it's all very flexible. I've made sure to include numerous handlings as well.

"What if the person's name isn't in the deck?"

Don't do this effect. It's perfectly natural for a magician to ask the group of spectators for their names as an introduction. If none of them have names suited to the cards, then The Destiny Effect never existed in their minds. However, I can assure you that, if you use the guidelines as to the names you put when preparing your Destiny Deck, that you will run into people with a name on the card 90% of the time when performing. It's even common to see numerous people in one group that have "Destiny" names! I have included name charts and other suggestions in my manuscript to assist in making up a Destiny Deck that will be ready for use most of the time.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Whoa Mike.
I wrote to you in a pm and you said that you didn't need to preset the deck so their name is in the deck.
I'll pm you, because I think I know the way to do it.
The last time, I didn't have time to play with the idea.

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
Please point out where I said you DO need to preset the deck with their name? You do not.

I don't believe a method is reconstructable here... it's got a lot of complexities and the method is actually rather large for this effect. I believe Sean_Raf can agree that this isn't really a method you can just think about for a few moments and figure out the full method.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Honestly, you probably could come up with your own method if you thought about it constantly.

But as Michael has said, there are a few little nuances here that make this effect really rather clean and fair.

With regards to setting it up so their name is in there I have this to say:

The deck is always set-up, this isn't the kind of trick where you perform it for each of your friends. If you even wanted to do it twice for your friends, the second time I would fail, deliberately, it makes the first time seem more believable.

Ideally you would do this for people you don't know/haven't really met before. I will say this: "you can either perform this effect or you can't"
I say this because you simply won't be able to, because the person you are performing for's name is not in the deck. Yes, you can deliberately put someone's name in the deck and then perform it for them.

If I'm honest Michael, I think you need to be a little more honest and less sneaky with your wording :p. Really, if you want to perform it for a specific person, then obviously the deck needs to be preset with their name in it. If not, then there is no preset of a name needed. You either have their name in the deck or you don't and based off of this you can either perform the effect, or you can't. :)

- Sean

Michael Kras

Sep 12, 2007
Canada
I didn't deliberately use sneaky wording, and don't see how it is considered sneaky wording.

I also wouldn't call them "little nuances". Those "little nuances" make up the entire effect ( I am referring to the system). That system is what the Destiny Effect is all based off of.

Any more questions?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results