Absolut Vodka cards + Funny Story

Aug 31, 2007
So i walk into the magic apple in studio city today, for my weekly hangout, and start chatting with the store owner, Brent Geris. Here is the following conversation:

Z stands for Zachmonky, B stands for Brent geris, btw.

Z: So have you seen Dan and Daves new site?
B: No, but it's just like a new layout right?
Z: No, now they have a book section, with like TOOC, and a playing card section, With Arrco's and Aladdins.
B: Oh cool, I haven't seen it yet.
Z: And they also have a "Limited Stock" of Absolut Vodka cards.
B: What?!?! They sell those?
Z: Yeah, 10 bucks each, i guess they're pretty rare.
B: 10 bucks each!?!?!? That's insane! I sold them a while ago, and i practically had to hand them out, because NOBODY would buy them.
Z: Do you have any left?
B: Yeah dude, I have 1 left
(He throws a deck towards me. On it is a price sticker. The price was $2.00)
Z: Just 2 bucks?
B: Yeah dude, they aren't even that good cards, they're just thin. And they come free with the Absolut Vodka too, i think.
Z: Cool, i'll take it, do you have any more?
B: Nah, thats the last one. The Bucks charge 10 Dollars for em? Thats crazy man. Well they are "Dan and Dave" so guess they can charge whatever they want for em. I need to call Abolut Vodka, and order somemore, and maybe sell em on my site.
End of Conversation.

So i break open these cards, and play with em. To me, they are nothing too special. Yes they are really thin, but they design isn't spectalular, and they don't fan very well at all.

Pros:
Very Thin, DL's look crazy awesome.

Cons:
Design isn't anything special.
There is a recipe for an alcoholic drink on every spot card
They Court cards, and jokers all are drinking
Fan like some body sprayed rouging fluid on them
Don't come in red.

Over-all: 6/10
I like them because they are thin, but no way are they worth 10 bucks. For 2 bucks, i would buy more, and it's a nice addition to my collection.

Jun 15, 2008
I thought absolut vodka is already out of production? I actually have one of them too. They cant spring, riffle or fan well but if you can apply adequate amount of powder they can actually do decent fans(not perfect though).

And the best thing is, they don't clump at all. Really tough cards.

Btw possible that you can sell me some?

Sep 1, 2007
For some reason my cards fan right out the box and they spring very good. But they do clump for me, maybe because I used for a month non-stop. Thank god that I have 10 left. 12 for $50 so around 4 something. But I have to say, I cant imagine these cards in red.
Cheers
Andrew

Sep 1, 2007
I agree, 10 bucks is too much. They aren't all as good as dnd say they are. I think 5 or 6 bucks would be a more reasonable price.

Jul 11, 2008
10 bucks is too much but theres a reason there 10 bucks its cuz the cards are specifically for flourshing because they're so flexible and durable thin and wont warp

May 9, 2008
Vodkas $10

I think it could be possible they are selling them for $10, so only people who really like them will buy them? It's not too expensive for those willing to shell out a few extra buck, and it's not too cheap that people will just buy them just to have them.

Sep 1, 2007
I didn't see any funny story in there either.

these cards aren't good, just different. when you handle tons of cards that all feel the same it's nice to have something different even if it sux. that's why Jay Leno has like a steam-powered car.

Aug 31, 2007
Update:

I emailed brent to see if he called, and he said they stopped making these cards awhile back. So i guess i got the last one in the shop for a good deal.

Dec 2, 2007
They really sell them for 9.95?

That's a bit ridiculous, I got a few decks from Doug McKenzie back when he was trying to make them popular.

Thankfully I got them for free. These cards are below average in every way. Except the color. The blue is nice.

Damien M.

Jan 27, 2008
I don't really get/trust your review. If your someone who cares how they fan.... well I'd still get them, because wynns suck at fanning and I love those. The only con is their thickness.
And since vodka's are stiff and thin, I'd totally get some.

Aug 31, 2007
Been to the Magic Apple once... when I first started out. Is he the guy behind the cashier? That guy was pretty cool and gave me a discount on the cards I bought.

Dude the apple is the best magic shop in the world. All the pro's hang there. Come in Augut 23rd for the 5 year anniversary, DnD will be there to showoff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results