Ramsay Cylinder and Coins

I have been obsessed with this routine for some time now (unfortunately I can't get the gimmicks.. hehe) but you did a fantastic job.

This reminded me very much of Justin Miller's routine on Strolling Hands, was that your inspiration?

Only 2 notes I might give is 1, when you first let the cork fall through the Cylinder it wasn't very clear and I thought you were pouring another piece of cork out. This is probably due to the camera, but I thought i'd mention it.

And 2, the ending was not built up very well in my opinion. This may be because it was a performance for magicians, but it just kind of felt like "They go from the hand to underneath the cork. Oh look, they can go the other way.". I really suggest looking at Justin Miller's routine and how he builds it up before the climax.

Nonetheless, GREAT job,
C=B
P.S. Who did you get your gimmicks from?
P.P.S. Your Ramsay was fantastic.

Oct 31, 2007
C=B,
Thank you for your comments. Yes, Justin Miller's routine was inspiring to me and it is the core of my routine. I like his initial vanishes. I do not like the last vanish. He says he will not do a false transfer, but then he does-he is explaining the upcoming (and all previous) moves! I certainly will take your comments to heart as I try to improve the impact of the routine. I tried to make the routine self contained for strolling and I am still working on the initial handling (ie whether to remove the stopper and sponge-ball earlier or not).

Cylinder is from theambitiouscard.com
Coin stack is from toddlassen.com Mine is the magnetic stack, but I think a regular (fused) stack is fine.

C=B,
Thank you for your comments. Yes, Justin Miller's routine was inspiring to me and it is the core of my routine. I like his initial vanishes. I do not like the last vanish. He says he will not do a false transfer, but then he does-he is explaining the upcoming (and all previous) moves! I certainly will take your comments to heart as I try to improve the impact of the routine. I tried to make the routine self contained for strolling and I am still working on the initial handling (ie whether to remove the stopper and sponge-ball earlier or not).

Cylinder is from theambitiouscard.com
Coin stack is from toddlassen.com Mine is the magnetic stack, but I think a regular (fused) stack is fine.

The magnetic stack is exactly what i've been looking into. How is it? I've had a very hard time getting up with Todd to ask a question. How long did it take to get the gaff after you ordered it?

Thanks,
C=B

Oct 31, 2007
Todd can be difficult to get a hold of. I don't remember how long it took. The magnetic gaff is nice, but unnecessary-it is so strong that it is difficult to create the illusion of several coins, especially if you only do a 3 coin routine. I would stick with the regular gaff. You could try schoolcraftprecisonmagic.com-customer service is a bit better

Sep 24, 2007
Good but the reset does seem a bit... "movey," especially if you do it as soon as the trick ends.

Todd is a regular guy and easy to talk to and work with. His work is worth the price and the wait.

I have the rigid stack and I love it. It took a while to get it, maybe 3-4 weeks, but that was the perfect time to practice the rest of the routine. The pivot vanishes I played with were especially time consuming.

I'd recommend calling Todd to place your order. Don't be alarmed if it doesn't sound like a business when you call. He offers his personal number and works well to make sure what you get is perfect for you.

Good luck!

Pj

Jul 19, 2008
I agree. Todd is a regular guy. His work is unsurpassed. I have a non magnetic stack too, and I love it. Actually Todd made them slightly uneven so the stack doesn't look too perfect. To Kenodad. Nice routine, you project in a light hearted manner that I would imagine would warm audiences to you. Have you had success in doing the routine in strolling venues? What are the reactions? I could be wrong, in fact I want to be wrong, but I always felt the coins and cylinder was for magicians. What do you think?

Jun 26, 2010
The Cylinder and Coins is not just for magicians. Ramsay included a number of feints in his routine to lead magicians down the garden path. Those feints usually don't mean much to lay audiences. Magicians such as John Carney have streamlined it to the point that laymen can enjoy the routine without the added distractions of numerous feints.

Dec 28, 2016
Does anyone know which book or video they recommend learning all the moves needed to perform Ramsay's coin and cylinder effect? Thank you!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Does anyone know which book or video they recommend learning all the moves needed to perform Ramsay's coin and cylinder effect? Thank you!

The original was published in an out of print booklet by Victor Farelli titled John Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins. It sells for around $600.

It was republished in the November 2008 Genii magazine. If you have a subscription, you have access to back issues.

Variations are published in David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, John Carney's Carnecopia and Tom Stone's Maelstorm. Jonathan Townsend has a version in Apocalypse (Volume 5) and Mike Gallo has one in the Collected Almanac. There is a performance on Dan Watkins' Coin Man Walking but Dan doesn't teach his routine.

In addition, I've found references to the following sources which I don't have :

Dai Vernon in The Art of Close-Up Magic, Volume 1
John Carney's DVD “Carney on Ramsay"
Giacomo Bertini’s in New York Coin Magic Seminar, Volume 5
Marc DeSouza in New York Coin Magic Seminar, Volume 6
Mike Gallo’s in New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD, Volume 7
Justin Miller in his Strolling Hands DVD, Volume 1

Reactions: mpmagic
Dec 28, 2016
The original was published in an out of print booklet by Victor Farelli titled John Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins. It sells for around $600.

It was republished in the November 2008 Genii magazine. If you have a subscription, you have access to back issues.

Variations are published in David Roth's Expert Coin Magic, John Carney's Carnecopia and Tom Stone's Maelstorm. Jonathan Townsend has a version in Apocalypse (Volume 5) and Mike Gallo has one in the Collected Almanac. There is a performance on Dan Watkins' Coin Man Walking but Dan doesn't teach his routine.

In addition, I've found references to the following sources which I don't have :

Dai Vernon in The Art of Close-Up Magic, Volume 1
John Carney's DVD “Carney on Ramsay"
Giacomo Bertini’s in New York Coin Magic Seminar, Volume 5
Marc DeSouza in New York Coin Magic Seminar, Volume 6
Mike Gallo’s in New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD, Volume 7
Justin Miller in his Strolling Hands DVD, Volume 1

Thank you for the information. I use to purchase my Genii magazine at a local magic shop. I will contact them and get a subscription. Thank you again!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results