Comedy in Magic

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
The thing I noticed is that some of you guys mention names of Great "Comedy" Magicians Like Tom Mullica, Bill Malone, Juan Tamariz,ect And even guys that try hard like Sankey.

Well the thing is
i'm not saying their acts are bad or anything

What I am saying is that People Would Rather Book some lame Comedic Magicians than a Serious magician
Thats the whole point
Why is Comedy magic So popular
Because is highly entertaining you say.
No
because its the easiest form of magic out there
You don't need to work hard at anything
Memorize some weak jokes , buy some props and there
you are hired to entertain people that unfortunately
don't know any better
If Only there where more magicians like Tudor out there
people would come to appreciate magic for what it is
An Art form
Not some form of cheap entertainment
Why is it so hard to understand
Wouldn't you rather have people appreciate the effect
instead of minimizing it or having to justify it with MouthGarbage

The thing I noticed is that some of you guys mention names of Great "Comedy" Magicians Like Tom Mullica, Bill Malone, Juan Tamariz,ect And even guys that try hard like Sankey.

Well the thing is

What I am saying is that People Would Rather Book some lame Comedic Magicians than a Serious magician
Thats the whole point
No
don't know any better
An Art form

Just because something is easy, doesn't mean it is bad. People, maybe, like to hire Comedy magicians because they find them far more entertaining. And also, everybody enjoys them. And believe it or not, when people hire, they don't just hire anybody, they pick the person with a good reputation. Not someone who is lame. You can't say that every non-pro comedy magician is lame. Yes, some of them are, but not all of them.

And yes, you do need to work hard at being a comedian. Honestly, you try and stand up in front of a crowd, full of DIFFERENT people. Gender, race, religion ect, and try and make them laugh. Its a bloody hard job tp try and keep everyone happy. And there are some people out there who do that

But then, on the other hand, there are people out there who hire these 'Serious' Magician's, otherwise, there wouldn't be any.

People like different things.

(Note to your Diary Post)
Yes, SOME people do that. But SOME people don't and are legends. It feels as though you don't find any comedy funny. And its making you sound like [insert unfunny person word here]. If your not one of those people, then I take it back. But honestly, it really does sound like you don't have a single funny bone in your body. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers, Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2008
MouthGarbage?

BrianationX get it through your thick head. The world without laughter will be a dead world.

Just because you can't make people laugh, doesn't mean you should talk crap about people that can.

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
The header of this thread is one of the most ridiculous statements i've ever read. May i draw your attention to...

David Williamson
Chad Long
Jay Sankey
Michael Weber
Greg Wilson
David Acer

There are more, but more examples are unnecessary. These are all performers who have proved over time that you can indeed blend comedy with magic. And hard-hitting magic at that. And yes, you may look at some of Sankey or Wilson's work and say that it's not technically demanding, but what does that matter?
Normally in this type of scenario, I would say you're entirely entitled to your opinion, but in this case, I just can't see past the arrogance in your post. All i can say is, you most be a very uninteresting performer, and i can't imagine many actual, real world audience's would be very impressed by what i can imagine your performance to be. Yes, I am making assumptions, but at least i have a basis.

and as for your theory that comedy masks a lack of technical ability, Chad Long is a VERY funny performer but he's one of the few people who can do Ray Kosby's raise rise perfectly, which demands A HUGE amount of technical skill. And Williamson has some stuff that could hardly be called 'easy'. I'm not even gonna go into what Greg Wilson can do with a deck of cards.

Grow up.

CL

Well the thing is

Thats the whole point
No
don't know any better
An Art form

Ok dude you are pissing me off. Are you saying that you do magic and you don´t talk at all. For gods sake dude if i didn´t use some sort of joking in my routines i would be buried 3m under the ground. Your missing the point. Bill Malone is one of the most successful Slight Artists. He is a genius. And fo your information Jay Sankey has done alot of comedy magic. I think that David Blane is no comparison to Bill Malone. They are different people that are doing different magic. Blane does street magic and Malone does table magic. And would it be great to see some old guy sitting at the table doing something with the cards. You should see what comedy magic really is. Without comedy David Copperfield wouldn´t be successful. He does load of jokes on stage. And Comedy Magicins don´t learn tricks in a day the practice alot. And they don´t really think about they´r jokes before going on stage. They think of topic what to talk about and failsafes. And if your saying that Comedy Magicians are clouns that i will come and Squirt Water at your face!
Get your fking facts straight...And how do the people know how hard Comedy Magic is? If people knew how to do magic nobody would like to see it. And im baking a pie for your face too...

PEace,

M.P

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Comedy can supplement magic when applied properly, given the effect allows room for comic relief.

Saying David Williamson is just a comedian is MADNESS!

Even the Dark Knight has some comedy in it. Come on, lighten up guys.

Oct 9, 2007
Australia
"A day without laughter, is a day wasted"
-Charlie Chaplin.

This is such a weird thread. Anyway, Brian Tudor is such a great sleight of hand artist, but having a little comedy isn't that bad. Spectators love it, I watch Bill Malone all the time and he's bloody awesome. All the spectators love it.

Mr. Brian, I think everyone has different style in their magic. Whether you want to make them laugh or not is up to you. I'm sure your style serious sleight of hand, but "hey" I like to see some laughter in my performance. Making people smile is a great feeling.

Try it sometime, you'll love it.

A:Z

This thread got me thinking about some GREAT magicians who all use (used) comedy in their routines.

Fred Kaps
Tommy Wonder
Lance Burton
Simon Lovell

and of course many others who have and haven't been mentioned. All of these guys are also great technical magicians. How many Great magicians out there try to not solicit laughs from their audiences? Really, I'm having a hard time thinking of any more then two.

"I bet some people would rather see a guy performing the old toy raccoon routine rather than some guy like me performing all sorts of sleights that took me months of practice rather than a day and it would fly right under their noses."

I agree, and that would make his performance better than yours.

As for the rest of your reply, what is wrong with you? Did you accidentally skip past the parts I was saying about him being respected for his amazing sleight of hand magic?

Simple question:

What is more important to the spectator? The performance or how much technique is involved in specific sleights?

It doesn't matter how many sleights you know, THE SPECTATORS ARE NEVER SUPPOSED TO EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE SLEIGHTS. A trick with one, easy sleight is always going to be better than a trick a million complicated sleights. Some people can use comedy or any patter and presentation to make their magic more powerful and others want to be move-monkeys, thinking that knowing 18 passes qualifies them as a better performer.

The best performers are the ones who may know a million complicated sleights, but know properly when to use them and can rely on presentational hooks, comedy being one angle to focus on. We've already listed magicians who aren't only funny but better than you. Nothing against you or your skills, but their ability to create amazing performances using their sleight of hand AND presentations has got them sharing material with the celebs like Blaine and got them performances on things like World's Greatest Magic. Good luck getting on that show by focusing on how many sleights you know and thinking that entertainment is "garbage".

I agree with Brian somewhat. I did hate how comedy magicians did simple things and just threw out jokes (original or not) and everyone loved them. I recently met one who was doing linking rings, sponge balls and a bunch of other things that were layered with jokes. The man was old and did magic as a living, and I thought he just did the same old things over and over.

Well I had a deck of cards with me and he noticed me after his show and asked if I did magic. He caught me off card so I mumbled yes, but regardless he asked for the deck. He then did a easy triumph but then he goes into a false sybil and this other false cut and it was a visual punch in the face. This showed me he had skill, and by the speed and smoothness of the cuts, he took time to practice this. Though I never questioned him, I beleive most of these comedy magicians are in heart comedians, they want to make people laugh even though they are can perform hard sleight/moves...they just choose to make people laugh.

Just throwing out my thoughts

~PaCo

Huh?
Dude, I don't even know why you bother to write "No disrespect for all those Comedic Magicians Out There."... Your post is pretty disrespectful, is written in an arrogant language, and all in all very tactless.
It doen't matter how hard a trick is to do, as long as you know how to present it. If you want to see a perfect exmaple for a trick that is incredibly simple to do, yet absolutely brilliant if presented right, see Derren Brown's Extreme Mental Effort from the Devil's Picturebook. Another, more popular example is the Invisible Deck... The trick is pretty much self wroking, and still brilliant.
Now, about comedy. Comedy is an art just like magic. You need to be a professional to know how to make people laugh or be amazed at specific moments, and plan it so they won't loose interest. Every magician has his/her style, and their own patters. Sometimes the patter is comedic, and it's very hard to create such a patter, that would really make people laugh. Also, even if they are "clowns", not "magicians", it's still a very hard work. I know a clown, and if you think it's easy being a clown, try it once.
Yeah, so David Blaine isn't comedic, he has a different style, so what? That doesn't mean he's better. I, for once, don't really like his style, cause he's all so mysterious, and I prefer a magician who can crack a smile from time to time. That doesn't mean I think he's a lazy performer, he just has a different style.
If you don't like the comedic style, don't do it... Just don't think you're superior to magicians who do.

Oct 17, 2007
SG
Gentleman, I think we've misunderstood the thread starter.

Our dear friend holds himself in such high esteem and scoffs the magicians who actually manage to entertain lay people because he sincerely believes that comedy is easy. In his own words:

..it takes no skill only to memorize a script and buy some props and gags..

Furthermore, since he thinks of himself as a sleight-of-hand god, when a magic effect falls flat, it must be the layman's fault! Yes that's it! Those stupid goons don't understand good magic!

..All I want is to perform the skill Ive spend as much as time working on as Coby Brian spend on Basket ball..

I do my ShowOff or Hynotic routine and they don't understand what happened,but its ok because they don't know any better.

Yes! We need to educate the lay people! Then, and only then will they appreciate magic! Youtube exposure is a good thing after all!

If people would make a better attempt at understanding then magicians wouldn't resort to mouth garbage to get reactions.

See also flourishes,laymen don't understand them,
but the more they see them the better the understanding,and also appreciate them.

Gentleman, let's all just laugh long and hard at this sad excuse for a magician. There's no way we can convince him - everything that can be said already has:

We've already mentioned that 'mouth garbage' is used to disarm the audience, to misdirect. We have said that comedy is not easy, it is blood sweat and tears. In some ways it is one of the hardest forms of magic simply because GOOD comedy magic is VERY VERY difficult to get right.

The only thing I can add to this conversation, is that dear Mr. I'm-too-damm-good-for-comedy-magic apparently likes to blame the audience when they can't understand his performance. I'd like to point out to those of you who are reading this (if it hasn't already occurred to you), that this type of thinking is responsible quite a lot of bad magic. You might want to avoid it. Just a thought.

So, what shall we do fellow theory11 forum members? We can combat stupidity whenever it rears its ugly head, but only to a point.

The best remedy for the sheer arrogance displayed by this pitiful fellow is to grab a deck of cards, go out and really amaze someone today. And if their opinion of magic has been previously colored by our dear friend and 'magicians' like him, they will now know what magic can really be.

I agree, if they don't understand magic then that magic is dead. Its like a famous scientist trying to explain his an entire theory and formula to kids or just random people...they don't care and it shouldn't be persistently used on people when you know it won't be understood.

~PaCo

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
How Many Times Have you seen this kind of Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mInAG7GaDhU

You got to respect a man that respects magic as an art
No MouthGarbage Here
Im not surprised by the number of comedic magicians out there
No one understand what im saying?

The only comedy I like is that from the Amazing jonathan
Theres really no magic there but the guy is hysterical

Sep 1, 2007
The least talented magicians are the ones that do comedy.

Oh, I am going to have so much fun with this.

Does Michael Jordan have to tell jokes while shooting baskets,does tiger woods have to put together a one hour show hitting golf balls on a spectators mouth while cracking jokes from a stupid joke book to entertain the audience.

Apples and oranges.

But still I bet some peoplewould rather see a guy performing the old toy raccoon routine or a classic comedic sponge and balls rather than

some guy like me performing all sorts of

sleights that took me months of practice rather than a day and it would fly

right under their noses.

Of course they would. Because the other guy would be entertaining instead of masturbating all over the audience's faces.

because it is the easiest form of magic,it takes no skill only to memorize a script and buy some props and gags.

To quote Yahtzee, you're projecting so hard you coudl point yourself at a wall and show PowerPoint presentations.

These clowns ruin the way a magician is thought of,

By who? You? Who are you?

but its ok because they don't know any better. If

It's at this point that I begin to wonder if this is actually satirical. But I'm going to continue going along with the act because I'm enjoying it.

Magic is not about telling jokes and making people laugh,is performing.

You don't get to decide that.

The Magic is not that impressive
or hard to execute

Technical proficiency has no causal link to enjoyability for an audience. It's why Steve Vai is a guitar virtuoso, but more people think Johnny Cash was one of the greatest musicians to ever walk the planet.

I would Rather Let my magic speak for itself

People who say that are incapable of speaking for themselves.

I dont think magic should be justified by Jokes

No one said they were. You're projecting again.

memorize some jokes get some cheap laughs and while doing so a crappy trick

Once again, I'm inclined to believe this is all one big joke and you're just satirizing egomaniacal show-offs.

But I'll continue to play along. It's been entertaining so far. I want to see how far this goes.

David Blaine
his presentations are so AMAZING
Theres no MouthGarbage
The Magic Is enough

The magic doesn't do a d*mn thing. David is the one selling it. He has an aura of intensity and detachment that gives him an otherworldly presence that people find alluring. He's untouchable, and everyone wants to chase that.

What we really want in magic is people to watch the Magic.

I would prefer they just plain have a good time.

Am I alone on this?

No, it's a common belief of egomaniacs and people who talk in the third person. On that note, I'm changing my first name to The. From now on, I want you all to refer to me as The Steerpike, or simply El Conquistador.

No

So... it's popular because audiences like laziness? What?!

Try doing stand-up sometime. If you can make it through a 15-minute set at The Improv without wetting your pants, I'll be very impressed.

The Steerpike believes we have enough narcissists in magic as it is.

I pick option C: they like me.

To state for a third and final time, there is a part of me that really believes that you're putting on an act, and a very slick one at that. But the joke is going to get very old, very soon. If you want to drop the punchline, the time is coming quickly.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I agree, if they don't understand magic then that magic is dead. Its like a famous scientist trying to explain his an entire theory and formula to kids or just random people...they don't care and it shouldn't be persistently used on people when you know it won't be understood.

~PaCo

Science is not about entertaining others, science is about the quest for knowledge and understanding. And also happens to take a degree to be able to do much with it. Magic, on the other hand, is meant to entertain, and no schooling is necessary, although I wish it were with some of the responses Ive seen on this topic...

If your audience doesn't understand what you are doing, then you aren't performing well. I don't care if you've memorized every single sleight in existence, it's pointless if the you can't make your audience understand what is going on.

Magic is not about being able to say "Look at what I can do, I know 50 different ways to make a card go from the middle of the deck to the top." Magic is about being able to entertain your audience. Magic is an art. Art is meant to be appreciated by others.

I would take the 60 year old magician who has a humorous patter for a Professors Nightmare routine over a magician who can make me cut to a card I thought of and has poor presentation any day.

Magic is about entertaining, not about creating puzzles for your audience to solve, or to be able to say "Look at me!" If you feel differently, then the whole point of magic has lost you.

BrianationX said:
Thats the whole point
No
don't know any better

Woooow. The audience doesn't know any better? STOP REFERRING TO THE AUDIENCE AS A LIFEFORM LOWER THAN YOU! The audience knows what they want. They want someone who can entertain. Comedy magic isn't easy, bud. It takes skill to be able to make an act out of it that isn't corny. They focus more on presentation than on self-pleasure. If you are in magic to stimulate yourself, you don't need an audience. And if the audience is entertained by what you would call a "crappy magic form," the magician is doing a better job at magic then you are, even if you spent the last four months perfecting your pass, and the comedic magician doesn't even know what a pass is.

-ThrallMind

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results