Help - I can't fan cards... :(

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I hate to say this.. but I can't fan cards for the life of me.

I want to learn yet I have no idea where to look. I've seen a couple of tutorials on youtube :rolleyes: and they didn't help (they could fan well though)

I'm pretty sure the problem lies mainly in my left hand (gripping hand) but also in my right hand (spreading hand).

The biggest problem is that my fans only go about maybe 120 degrees instead of the 180+ 'standard'.. I've tried a pressure fan as well (with arguably more control of the spread) and it just comes out in an oval shape instead of a semi-circle..

The second problem is also in the spread; it kinda generally goes 'pile, spread, pile' which means that it's pretty much just white borders for the first third, the second third's alright and the final third is another sea of white borders.. so it's a consistency problem.

I look at other people's fans and they all have varying grips and even spreads yet they all seem to get good results.

What can I do?? It annoys me that I can't do it, I keep trying but they just don't work.

PLEASE HELP!!
James.

Don't even get me started on something like a one handed fan :|

Sep 1, 2007
Do you have Xtreme Beginnerz yet? There's a comprehensive fanning workshop with Jerry Cestkowski.

Sep 3, 2007
If you own Royal Road to Card Magic, which every card magician should, then in the flourishes section they explain a decent fan in great detail. But fanning wont be perfect at first, it will take some practice to get a perfect pressure fan like other people have.

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I've got Trilogy but that doesn't really help.. there's the thumb fan video but that's useless because it doesn't explain anything.

I've been really looking at getting XB, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I should probably look into it some more.

Have you guys got any tips yourselves to give me?

Get Xb. For get the rest. As for tips use a deck in good condition. Fanning powder helps alot, and you have to have the right grip. IT explains everything in Xb but I'll give you a quick summary of what they say for the grip. Basically make a gun with your fingers. Your thumb facing up, your index and middle pointing out and the others curled in. Place the bottom end of the deck on the index and place your thumb at the far right end corner. Now extend your ring and pinky out and your grip is ready. TO get a bigger fan just cock the deck. Xb explains it in more detail this was just a quick explanation.

Sep 1, 2007
To help get a better spread, I use my wrist. When the spreading hand reaches the 90 degree point, I gently pull my wrist back so that the hand holding the cards pivots away from the spreading hand slightly.

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
this might be a stupid question but are you using an old deck???

when you play around with a deck alot the oil from your finger gets on the cards and causes it to stick together in a fan.

it will be alot easier to do a fan with a new deck.

some people say use fanning powder for the best fans but i really dont want to spend the money on it

Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
i'm using a brand spanking new deck of circle back tallys. so it's got nothing to do with the deck; it's my technique.

I'll look into getting XB.

Thanks guys for your tips, if you've got more.. Keep 'em coming!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results