Big Deal by Joshua Jay

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Big Deal by Joshua Jay

The Official Spam-

A card is selected and shuffled back into a deck. With a demonstration of cheating, the performer locates the selection... but he also manages to find a perfect blackjack hand, a Royal Flush, AND a perfect Bridge hand (all thirteen Hearts!).

The Effect:

All I can say is wow. Apart from the setup, this is such a mindblowing effect. It also presents a great opportunity for an excellent presentation involving the odds of blackjack, poker, and bridge. Honestly, for this effect, I plan on using Joshua Jay's presentation for this effect. I think it fits so great, and nothing else would work nearly as well.

Setup:

Obviously, this effect is going to need some setup. There is a block of cards that you must put in a certain order, but if you write it down and keep it with you when you plan on performing, it will only take a minute, at most, to set up for this effect.

The "Work":

This effect, apart from controlling the selected card and setting up the deck, is completely self-working. All you have to do is deal. Very simple effect.

The Teaching:

As usual, Joshua is an excellent teacher, and, even though it is a very simple effect, he goes over everything very well. During the video, the order of the block of cards scrolls down the side of the screen, and he also goes through them on his own, just to make sure you got it right. Also, the odds of getting a perfect hand for each game pop up at the end of the explanation. Very easy to learn!

Practice Time:

Once again, apart from presentation, it shouldn't take you long to learn this effect. The part that will take the longest is memorizing the odds of getting a perfect hand in each game, and even that is not as difficult as you think. Since it is a self working effect, all you have to practice is where to deal the cards.

Overall:

I think this is a great effect, and I'll be sure to have it set up in the box as often as possible. That way, whenever talk of gambling comes about, I can pull out my deck and do a little demonstration. So, I give this effect a:

8.5/10

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
Agreed---it flows nicely.

Am I the only one who thinks that Joshua Jay and Justin Miller have very common performance styles, or has anyone else noticed?

Agreed---it flows nicely.

Am I the only one who thinks that Joshua Jay and Justin Miller have very common performance styles, or has anyone else noticed?

What do you mean by common? I think they have their own personalitys and don´t play a "role" of a magician. Both are likable and competent performers that stay true to themselves and that have not jumped on the whole streety, super cool and super visual kind of magic that is trandy right now.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I have had this effect for a while now and love it setup is a b*tch but other than that it really has the impossibility factor. Also if you like this look for his poker trick.

-Michael

Nov 6, 2007
Yeah this is a great effect. I especially like how you can spread out the deck at the beginning and show that all of the cards are indeed mixed up, and then at the end... POW! right in the kisser.

POW! right in the kisser.

POW! right in the kisser.

:eek:

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I have had this effect for a while now and love it setup is a b*tch but other than that it really has the impossibility factor. Also if you like this look for his poker trick.

The setup really isn't that bad. I used to be able to do it in under 30 seconds when I performed this often. I would just take out all the cards I needed, put them in the right order, and slap 'em on the deck. Still had to use a cheatsheet, but eventually I had like half of iit memorized. Then, I don't know why, but I just quit performing it. I got this back around Thanksgiving, and wrote the review for it then, too, but just realized last night I had never transferred it over here.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I saw this effect a while back and was blown away by the climaxes, or climaxi.

I don't have that many stacked deck tricks but usually use Lennart Green's five poker hands trick. Works great. Might get this though

Sep 1, 2007
Savannah, GA
What do you mean by common? I think they have their own personalitys and don´t play a "role" of a magician. Both are likable and competent performers that stay true to themselves and that have not jumped on the whole streety, super cool and super visual kind of magic that is trandy right now.

Nor should they jump on the "cool" (yet impromprly named) "street magic" theme. They're excellent in their own fields. I also wasn't insinuating they are playing a role. I'm simply saying that from watching them perform, they both seem to have a similar laid-back performance style that reminds me of one another. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar impression.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
As cool as this effect is I think his royal assembly is better since the setup is far smaller and also involves poker and cheating and easiar to prepare in the middle of a set. The presentation behind big deal is still really amazing

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I saw this effect a while back and was blown away by the climaxes, or climaxi.

I don't have that many stacked deck tricks but usually use Lennart Green's five poker hands trick. Works great. Might get this though

Yup, it's pretty darn neat, and a favorite among my Step-Mom's family.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results