Double Lifts

Jun 23, 2008
bronx, ny
the double lift is arguable the most important move in magic. does any one have any tips or ideas like a triple lift or the one in the jones change.

Sep 1, 2007
the double lift is arguable the most important move in magic. does any one have any tips or ideas like a triple lift or the one in the jones change.

well, I would advise using a double lift that does not need a break. The strike double is a good one for that, also you can try the diving board double from Lee Asher. Other than that, yeah fancy doubles are nice but you have to have a workhorse double lift ready to go at a moments notice.

Nov 20, 2007
well, I would advise using a double lift that does not need a break. The strike double is a good one for that, also you can try the diving board double from Lee Asher. Other than that, yeah fancy doubles are nice but you have to have a workhorse double lift ready to go at a moments notice.

diving board double by lee asher is awesome and it doesnt use a break
i use that alot

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
A double lift is one of the most important moves in card magic, you're right on that point.

However, I don't get why the new fad is to make a huge show out of displaying it. It makes it much, much more obvious that you are doing something sneaky - why the hell would you twirl the top card like that, only to immediately slide it back off and stick it in the deck?

A double should look just like you are pulling off one card. Don't have a stiff hand, don't use a break. Just train your fingers to grab two cards.

A double lift is one of the most important moves in card magic, you're right on that point.

However, I don't get why the new fad is to make a huge show out of displaying it. It makes it much, much more obvious that you are doing something sneaky - why the hell would you twirl the top card like that, only to immediately slide it back off and stick it in the deck?

A double should look just like you are pulling off one card. Don't have a stiff hand, don't use a break. Just train your fingers to grab two cards.

Other than the DTD.

Magician: *and your card is on top* and does Asher's Acrobatic Diving Board
Spectator: *Bet thats a double card!*

Also, I really, really doubt that having a break makes the double less natural ( whatever that means!) or make you hands look stiff. Stiff hands simply means not enough practice in most cases.

I use different doubles for different situations. Problem is that, alot of magicians I've met online, they are too strict about "turn a double like a single"
without actually thinking WHY, instead of just following what others say.

Different doubles for different situations.

And honestly, how many magicians actually turn a double like a single, instead of just saying it? I read ALOT of people saying this, but only saw it in a video 2 or 3 times only ... ( if we neglect the Vernon DL )

Cheers,

Reactions: Karo-K54
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Aaron Fisher always uses a break. :rolleyes:

If you're awesomely good with one that doesn't use a break and you can hit it 100% of the time without fumbling and it's your preferred choice of DL - That's awesome.

I just don't think we should be forcing our opinions on something that has a lot of options for someone to consider and find what's right for them rather than trying to make them right for it. Y'know?

- Sean

It’s an important aspect of your magic to ensure that the spectator understands that when you turn over a card, it is a single card in their mind; despite how it may multiple cards as one. With that being mentioned, you will most likely not want to use over-the-top, fancy double turnovers; but merely one that resembles your natural singular-card handling. Granted, it can be difficult to find techniques that match, but then it may be a good idea to perhaps change your handling of your single cards to match that of your doubles.

However, in usual circumstances it does not really matter what technique you use – but rather down to how you use them. To be honest, you could quite easily get by with a mediocre double turnover, as long as your posture and attitude displays itself correctly. For instance, if you were to perform the move casually without a moments thought, it would fly by fairly well. However, if you perform the move with much apparent concentration, with flashy and flamboyant techniques, it can begin to make your spectator think “how much effort should it really take to merely turn over my card?” This eventually leads them to believe that ‘something’s happened’ even if they are not entirely sure what. [This is something that you do not want in your performances, as it can quickly turn into a battle between the magician and the spectator; with the latter looking for moves, and the former covering them up. This contrasts greatly with how it should be; with both parties enjoying each others company and having fun together.

The bottom line is, as long as your onlooking spectator cannot identify that "something's going on" with a mere flipping over a card, then you will be absolutely fine with whatever you choose to do. :)

Warm regards,
Jordan

Apr 28, 2008
I use different doubles for different situations. Problem is that, alot of magicians I've met online, they are too strict about "turn a double like a single"
without actually thinking WHY, instead of just following what others say.

I completely agree with this. They all say you should try and turn over a double the same way a spectator might turn over a card but I believe this is very flawed thinking.

You are a magician, Spectators don't expect you to handle cards how they would. If you do a very flashy double like Asher's Diving Board or The Jones Change double lift they'll just think it's a flashy way of showing a card.

Also, your average spectator probably doesn't often think about the most natural way to turn a card over, it's not something they care about. If you do a strike double they aren't going to think OMG I wouldn't turn over a card like that it must be double!!!1111.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
a double lift is suppose to look like turning over a single card. i personally think that spinning the double and stuff like that arent very clean. the BEST kind of doubel ift in my opinion is when you can use ur left thumb to push it off just like ur dealing a single card, turning it over, and doing a pirouette witht he double. Right now, one of my goals is to learn the double lift piroutte.

Jul 22, 2008
In Greece
well the instantanious DL is one of my favorites and very easy and you don't have to do the ''get ready''and then i found out that the one handed DL that joel use in believe is easy and very very powerful so....

Jun 2, 2008
Im awfull at double lifts, i used to be good but now i always have to feel for it and then make a break

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results