Thoughts on Criss Angel

We seem to be caught up in our own confirmation biases, finding information to confirm what we already believe and dismissing information that goes counter to our beliefs about both Criss and Jim. At some point, the may need to be an agreement of disagreement.

Jim is a tricky performer to root for or against, because he does claim to be the real deal, he does claim it is just entertainment. He claims to be a magician, and he claims to be a medium, albeit for one obscure individual.

We're in an odd game as magicians, especially those of us playing for large chunks of the public; we're acting a part, and yet our audiences often assume that the part is wholly the person...that the magician-mask we wear isn't a mask at all but instead is who we really are.

Often, soap opera actors are approached by fans who assume they are their character and not the actor who plays that character. People get caught up in characters and blur lines whether we want them to or not.

Jim's a character, and we're off to the side enough that we can see behind the proverbial curtain, but can the same be assumed of the general public? I'm not sure...

Random thinking, all in good fun, I hope.

Pj

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2008
thank you

the way i see it, the purpose of magic is to entertain. Is criss entertaining people? yes. Therefore it is ok. I personally do not like criss angel...but everyone has their own opinion.

~Nate

thats exactly what im saying. as far as the whole thing with Callahan, when someone is useing there talents for more than just entertainment, then it starts to cross moral boundaries. but we dont know if he was saying what he said on porpose or maybe he literaly has mental issues that cause him to beleive that he has the "power" to talk to the dead.

Aug 5, 2008
Ideological Bigot

A lot of you guys... as well as Criss Angel are all accusing Jim of something he hasn't done. When has he spoken to a dead relative of someone?
He has never talked to anyone or asked to talk to them, He only “Talks” to this Raymond for entertainment purposes. To all the Angel Fan Boys name just one instance where Jim has taken money to contact someone's passed relative. If not that, then please show me where Jim has offered that service to anyone. I'll save you the trouble: You won't find it.
When has he taken advantage of someone emotionally frail? Did he exploit anybody at all? Was the crowd taken advantage of?
He has never taken advantage of someone emotionally frail, or exploited anyone. He is an entertainer,If entertaining someone is taking advantage of them then he has done it a lot of times,If giving people something to remember for the rest of their lives is exploiting them too then He has done it.He never took advantage of the crowd,If that were true then singers,actors and athletes also take advantage of the crowd by entertaining them. If you think providing ENTERTAINMENT on a STAGE (and a website) is taking advantage of people then I really don't know what to tell you.

Jim went on a show where almost all the contestants were claiming to be psychic or to have some sort of supernatural talent.

Criss calls Jim "scum" and threatens him with violence over some stage show, and Jim doesn't even do the things Criss is ranting about - like an angry bigot who is so blinded by his righteous crusade that he can't even discern between a fraud and an entertainer.”
“Callahan, along with everyone else in the magic community, was well aware of Criss' "opinion" on the supernatural. Callahan made the point of standing up to Criss, because the skeptic community has enjoyed bullying people around with impunity for years. Criss took the bait and started in with his "holier than thou" garbage, and Callahan didn't flake out like skeptics are used to.’
There were at least 5 more "Mentalists" Yet Jim was the only one to get assaulted by Angel. Why did Criss Only Challenge Jim?
“As soon as one of these performers say their act is not entertainment….”
JIM was the only one to refer to his act as “ENTERTAINMENT”
so why did he do it?
“because my father died…..” Jim never mentioned Criss’s father, he has never claimed to have been in contact with him, “
Criss Angel has done worse than Jim, because he HAS taken advantage of people emotionally by recalling their dead ones
And by claiming to be in the Level of Jesus.I mean Levitating and Walking on water?
Of course, at the end of the credits, he makes his little disclaimer: "Do you believe in ghosts? *whispering voice*: I don't"
Making this disclaimer doesn't change the fact that he took emotional advantage of the people around him by telling them he can see and speak with their relatives. He also made himself look stupid by doing a whole show were he go “possessed” by one
This person was on the show Mindfreak as a spiritual medium. One of the things she had to say was: "Doing the show gave me the confidence and courage to come out publicly about my abilities and begin doing readings professionally."Wait wait... WHAT???? I thought Crissy had a HUGE problem with these people! Why didn't he debunk HER on HIS OWN show, when he goes to debunk people on someone Else's?
The only thing I can assume is Angel's opinion on the matter depends on what benefits him at the time.
Also, for the people who keep referring to Sylvia Browne: Jim Callahan is NOT Sylvia Browne
Quoted for the truth
BTW, why are some of you still posting on this thread? I know at least two of you said you were done with this thread and would stop posting.
They both got owned last time,Maybe they cant accept that they are wrong?

It never occurred to you that I already saw this? Or did you think I was so stupid that I was immune to what you percieve to be cognitive dissonance?

In order for that footage to legally air, Criss had to get the people involved to sign a release form requiring full disclosure.

That means that after the taping of that routine, he would have to inform the people of his intent, his message, and his stance on the issue, and convince them to sign a release form granting him legal permission to use that tape on national television.

I'm sick to death of doing everyone else's homework for them.

Let's assume this woman genuinely believes she's psychic. Her interpretation of the events in that show are colored by perception. It's the same principle that allows religious nuts to see the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich.
They both genuinely claim to talk to dead people. As far as I'm concerned, they both should be locked up.

I guess I'm just a masochist.

After having to get your reply translated by the finest minds the local bowling ally has to offer, I can see that I am clearly dealing with an intellectual giant

btw,Why not answer his questions without all that BS
Really..

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Now, I have yet to hear someone telling me exactly why they are bothered by Jim Callahan. I'm not bothered by him. On my watch, he hasn't hurt anybody. He doesn't affect my magic, as our material isn't very related. He claims to speak with dead people. Catholics ALL OVER the world claim to do the same by saying they speak to Jesus, Virgin Mary and saints through their prayers.

I am also anti-religious. Aaaaaaaaand I'm going to leave it at that.

Now I've answered that several times over in this thread, but Steerpike put it much more elloquintly than I have:

The danger posed by spirit mediums is not always direct. If people can be persuaded to believe in psychic phenomena, that makes them infinitely easier to con. For every person out there who genuinely believes that they have some sort of supernatural ability, there are 50 more who are natural born predators.

And if anything, a genuine belief in one's alleged abilities actually makes the "psychic" even more dangerous because their absolution and resolve is genuine instead of a con. They will go to greater lengths to prove their abilities and they will amass followers as well.

Callahan's actions undermine the safety of others from con artists. He tells people who are on the fence to make up their minds for themselves. That should tell you right then and there that the man is not a paranormal investigator in a true sense of someone exploring unexplainable phenomena. Because anyone with a true scientific interest in their investigations will tell you without hesitation that the truth is not democratic. We don't get to vote on which scientific theories we like best. We don't get to vote on whether our solar system is heliocentric or geocentric. We don't get to vote on whether gravity is a physical property of matter or whether it's caused by gnomes living in the center of the earth operating a giant magnet.

By telling people that they can make up their own minds, Callahan is giving gullible people the wrong idea and conditioning them to be fooled by creating the illusion of skepticism and empowerment in their minds.

With that mindset, they're the perfect prey for con artists all over the world because their sense of objectivity has been stifled.

Uri Geller poses less of a threat than Callahan in this regard because he's not offering people tempting secrets to the mysteries of life. He's bending phallic objects. I still think he's a dick, but the threat he poses is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage that people like Jim Callahan can create when he offers potential answers to the greatest mystery of all: death.

Now, again, you may hate Criss for all I care. But Jim is crossing a line for exactly the reasons stated above, a line which Criss has never crossed. That's why I have more respect for Criss than for Jim.

....personally, I think Criss is the better magician, but that's only opinion..... :)

Now, in response to your answer:

Jim does not have supernatural powers. He made a stage performance, which, like Uri mentioned, has a flair of honesty on it.

It had no honesty. He lied about having "powers". You yourself don't believe he does. He continues to claim that he does even though he continues to lie about having them. Therefore, there is no "flair of honesty", otherwise, you would believe he does.

Uri claimed to have "powers" too, for a long, long time before he had to stop because he was being exposed as a fraud too much. He made a fortune using his "powers" to help sports teams in Europe keep from losing (He failed), he sued everyone he can when he was shown that his "powers" weren't real (failed mostly on that too), and he siddles up to Jim, another fraud, saying he has a "flair for honesty". One fraud calling another fraud "honest" means nothing.

It makes you want to believe what he's doing is real. That is why I found it entertaining.

That's fine to make it seem real. But as I said before, someone in the magic arts has the responsiblity to not mislead people into believing that we have "powers". As Steerpike said, and as I've stated over and over, there are many, many varnerable, gullible and desparate people who will grasp at any straw, any hope, even a false one.

Saying you have "powers", or never denying you don't, preys on those people. I don't care if you are saying "I'm only using my powers for entertainment", you are feeding off on people more deparate emotions and giving them hope that is just not real. That's expolitation.

We are meant to make people wonder, maybe give a little scare, surprise, delight and maybe think a little bit. Not make them think you are superhuman and at any give false hope of something that just doesn't exist.

I wasn't bothered one bit by the fact that he didn't admit to being fake, especially with the fact that most of the other contestants were doing the same.

Then those contestants should be brought out in the open, just like Jim was. Now I didn't watch the show at all, just saw the clip. And simply, I do not trust the youtube link you posted. Did the other contestants do "talking to the dead" tricks? Do the other contestants have websites that claim they really do have powers and challege people to prove them wrong? Do the other contestants sell book filled with bullpucky "paranormal" babble of Numerology and claim it to be true? Do the other contestants call themselves "paranormalists" or do they use "illusionist", "magician", etc.? If the other contestants were interviewed, and if they were asked specifically if their "power" was real, did they say no, or did they emphatically say "wellllll you decide"? (Which is a very clever way to say "yes". I'm a hypnotist, I know how to speak in suggestive phrases).

And it should disturb you that someone does that. I don't know if it's ever happened to you, but it's a horrible, horrible feeling when someone thinks you have "powers" and is so desparate for help that you know cannot give. And no matter how much you tell them that you can't give them that help, they are still convinced that you can.

It takes a real low-life person to not only lead people that desparate around like that, also try to convince other people who might be able to see reason, that you can provide help, when you can't simply for your own gain.

That's what Jim is doing. "For entertainment purposes" or no, Jim is doing that.

Sorry this went on so long. I had a lot to say.

Apr 15, 2008
If you like bazaar magic, he's your guy. If you dont like apparently most of us don't, stick
with the other magic. Personally I think its fun to watch, even though it is rigged most of the time nowadays.

Dec 2, 2007
Here's my view on Criss Angel.

I liked his older material, his stage stuff, and his actual sleight of hand. He is a talented magician, he just doesn't stick to it lately.

Mindfreak is decent to watch, but it isn't real magic, at least not to me. He's a decent actor in that respect, but he isn't "ruining magic" or anything of the sort. It's a television show. If you can't get past the fact that he's doing it for the money, and not the magic, then you don't understand how the television world functions.

So, if that's too long - He's talented as a magician and an actor, but he's taken Mindfreak a bit far, but it isn't ruining magic.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Ahhh, reading about Criss Angel on a magic forum is really starting to annoy me.
Seriously, we might as well talk about Brittney Spears on here too, considering there's no real difference.

Criss performs legit magic just as Brittney really sings in her performances.
In this case their both masters of illusions.

"no more criss angel threads"! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .no seriously

Aug 18, 2008
I dont understand any of this. The bottem line is if you dont like criss angel,then dont watch criss angel. That seems pretty simple to me.
I remember years ago,Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear and I dont remember people fighting about if he used camara tricks or stooges. They were entertained. I dont remember anyone around here at least thinking he was going to jail because he realy made her disapear because he know "real magic".
Stooges have been here since magic first started. I'm sure they will be here long after I am gone.

I dont understand any of this. The bottem line is if you dont like criss angel,then dont watch criss angel. That seems pretty simple to me.
I remember years ago,Copperfield made the statue of liberty disappear and I dont remember people fighting about if he used camara tricks or stooges. They were entertained. I dont remember anyone around here at least thinking he was going to jail because he realy made her disapear because he know "real magic".
Stooges have been here since magic first started. I'm sure they will be here long after I am gone.

True just some people are a bit jealous that criss angel is a millionaire magician and there not.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
True just some people are a bit jealous that criss angel is a millionaire magician and there not.

I don't think people who hate CA are "jealous" of him ... c'mon .... are you in 2nd Grade ???
They all have their own reason or maybe share the same obvious reason, i don't "like" CA (that doesn't mean i hate him).

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't think people who hate CA are "jealous" of him ... c'mon .... are you in 2nd Grade ???
They all have their own reason or maybe share the same obvious reason, i don't "like" CA (that doesn't mean i hate him).
Well thats my reason! Haha. Im totally jealous of him

Aug 4, 2010
Criss Angel is a millionaire video effect artist.....What gave him the millions and fame was a tv show filled with actors and some basic video editing....

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Oh my god! Another Criss Angel thread... Now im posting this, and someone might have already said this but at the moment im a little to lazy to read the rest of the posts... haha,

But seriously, this is like the millionth Criss Angel thread.. T11, if you want, put an actual category like, "THE BASH CRISS ANGEL THREAD!" i mean seriously guys, i think we have had enough threads about how he sucks and he's fake.

-blake.

Mar 19, 2011
Hi,,,,
Interesting, very interesting......
I have no answer of these question......If some one have the Knowledge regarding this, please share your knowledge with us...
Thanks in advance for your kind consideration....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results