Stud Playing Cards Review

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
So I swung by the local Walgreens because I read somewhere on the forums that Studs were only sold on the shelves of this particular store. I, getting sick of Bikes and Aviators, picked up half a brick - three blue, three red - and cracked open a pack of reds to take a look.

BOX: Pretty eye-catching. More elaborate front, and the back design... well, I'll get to that later. 5/5

FACES: Um... different. Not bad, but different from the usual Bicycle faces. It takes up more of the card itself because the pips are wider and the court cards are stretched vertically. People with Arrcos know what I'm talking about. 5/5

BACKS: Very nice, but a little too simple for my taste. There are ribbons and little X's slicing across the entire thing. 9/10

MAGIC: They hold together better than Bikes, and the people I tried these on said the pips were easier to see. 10/10

FANNING/FLOURISHING: Pretty good. They fan kinda... weird straight out of the box, but I broke them in with a bunch of faroes and shuffling and now they fan very well. However, that kinda made the flourishes more difficult - the cards were sliding everywhere. Meh - I can manage. 8/10
edit: Once you break these in, they feel FANTASTIC. Only problem is that in fans, the corner pips (with the numbers) are so far from the sides that they don't show completely in fans, as opposed to, say, Tallys and Bikes. 8/10 -> 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: Very nice cards. I'm hooked, I think I'll go play with these for hours just getting accustomed to the faces and the slippery finish. But I'll probably just stick to magic with these. TOTAL: 38/40 = 95% -> A

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 8, 2008
New Hampshire
These are some of my favorite cards. I picked up a deck the other day but it was a deck for pinochle so it comes with 2 of every card 9 and up and six double blank cards, my mistake. I've had a deck for a month or two now and it still is fine.

Sep 20, 2008
I dont like the new studs as much as the old ones. If you ever see an old deck get it they are the best. Im planning on getting a brick of the old ones

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
I'm not sure if it's just me but I remember my Blue Studs and Red Studs being totally different. My blue studs sucked and couldn't fan at all while my Red Studs were friggin awesome and fanned well.

Jun 10, 2010
How can you tell the difference between new studs and old studs?

Regarding the color, I've noticed that with every Blue stud pack i've owned, they've only gone downhill really fast after 1 hr after opening the box. the one red stud deck i ever owned was really amazing, so I'll go buy another red and see if there is a connection between color and quality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results