Just got Distortion and...

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
Well, did some of you have problems when you first got a new one?
Either I'm just a slimy fellow but I can't seem to make this work like how it's supposed to be handled other than using what I shouldn't do.

A bit hard to explain my problem without giving it out, hopefully to those that have purchased the trick can help me out here.

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
I watched the dvd and I know what I am supposed to do.
I'm asking if there was a way to break it in first to make it work smoother because no matter what I do, I can't make it move without using my nail. And i've been sitting here for the past 10 minutes trying to do it with my finger and I just suck or is it just the stiffness of it being new?

May 7, 2008
MoNTReaL 514 *****!
mm.

yeah i know what you mean..
it happend to me too..
press your thumb with your first fingure
just like when you hold your hand like a duck mouth but only with two fingures ...
i hope you understand what i mean..

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
And after 20 minutes and rewatching the explanation again and again, I have yet to even make the tiniest of movement with the pips. I've searched the forums and reviews and it seems like I'm the only one with this problem so if anyone is interested in buying this trick, please do - this could just be me.

Now, I don't know how much force you need apply but even inspecting my gimmick, it's hard to make the pips move without a LOT of force. So of course when trying to do the trick, I'm applying more force that I want to (I am already warping this poor card) and have yet made any improvement in making it just move.

Maybe it's just my card and I suppose I'll buy another replacement - that or I just suck. If anyone would like to PM me that has this trick and makes it work, I would like to explain in full detail what I'm doing so maybe you can tell me if I'm wrong.

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
Well I'll try to be general for those that haven't bought this trick in hopes that those that did buy it know what I'm talking about.

On the DVD, Wayne said to pinch it with my middle and my thumb, which I do. So here's my problem (and maybe someone can figure this out if mine is too...stiff? tight?), if the main motion is done with my index finger, that should mean that there should be of little resistance to make this trick work. My problem is that it takes a considerable force with BOTH hands to make the gimmick work, I wouldn't think I can achieve that maneuver with one finger.

And mind you, I'm not scrawny at all, I'm a large guy, I'd think physics would be on my side for this one. I'm just beginning to think I just have bad luck and this particular gimmick of mine just doesn't work as intended.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
Maybe your card is defect or something. Submit a support ticket and see what they have to say. Theory11's support is great. :)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I agree. It's possible it's catching somewhere, inhibiting the pips from sliding correctly. My gimmick slides extremely smoothly, so I'm thinking there is something wrong with yours. Submit a support ticket, and whatever you do don't use your nail.

David

Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
I had a problem with it might breaking in a performance..so i bought a new one and rigged it with some support so that it wouldnt break..and it has lasted me a number of performances

Jul 9, 2008
Wisconsin
I had the same problem. It wouldn't move at all for a very long time, but once it started to move it wasn't so bad.

It might take a lot of pressure to move it the first time (be careful), but after that it should be fine. I recently bought the trick too, but I haven't messed with it much since I got it, because it seems obvious to me and I'm just a novice magician and I don't have anywhere near the confidence to pull it off.

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
Thanks for the replies, it's nice to see an online magic community to be so lively.

Well, I'll try it for another day but if I can't make it work, I'll send a ticket tomorrow. I'm really sure that something is wrong, I have a blister on the skin of my index finger (that's how much force I've been trying to use). That and I also think that if I'm pinching with my thumb and middle finger and the index finger does the trick without an opposing force, there can't be that much force needed.

Thank you all again.

Thanks for the replies, it's nice to see an online magic community to be so lively.

Well, I'll try it for another day but if I can't make it work, I'll send a ticket tomorrow. I'm really sure that something is wrong, I have a blister on the skin of my index finger (that's how much force I've been trying to use). That and I also think that if I'm pinching with my thumb and middle finger and the index finger does the trick without an opposing force, there can't be that much force needed.

Thank you all again.

Sent you another message.

Jul 28, 2008
South Jersey
sent a ticket in

Well to make it easier for the Theory11 crew, I made a video along with my ticket so they can better understand the problem I'm having. That should be proof enough that I bought it haha.

Oh and zack, I sent you a message too.

Aug 7, 2008
how do you just get the gimmick without the DVD? O-o ..

Edit: sorry, i found out how =S

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I only had a problem the first 2 times I used the gimmick. After that, it was broken in enough to use with ease. Keep in mind that every one of these gimmicks is HAND MADE, therefore no 2 will be exactly the same. Some will be slightly tighter than others, which seems like the case for you. I don't know if it works, but you could try moving it back and forth a bit using both hands and see if it helps the flow any.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results