Advice Needed

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Ok I thought up an effect and here it is.

Spectator picks a card signs it and holds it against a window, I take the joker out of the deck and put the deck away. I walk to the other side of the window and say on 3 flick the card 1 2 3. And on there without movement there signed card is in my hand and they are holding the joker. No gimmicks palming copping anything like that. What do you guys think?

-Michael

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok I thought up an effect and here it is.
No gimmicks palming copping anything like that.

You saying that you don't want to use gimmicks is understandable, but then saying, "no palming, copping, or anything like that," makes it seem like you don't want to use sleight of hand either. So if you aren't using gimmicks, or sleight of hand.... you are using??? pixie dust?

I am sorry, the idea seems fun, something I could see Cyril doing... but try not to take away too much of what is needed to accomplish the effect (in this case, sleight of hand).

For example, I could say. "MY NEW EFFECT!!!: A spectator holds a signed card in the palm of their hand, and without moving or touching the card in anyway, it turns into a lizard!!! YES a LIZARD, with their exact signature on the back of the lizard, but not in black sharpie ink! NO !! in bright beautiful pink glitter ink!

NO SLEIGHT OF HAND, no duplicates, no gimmicks, and no magical lizards! just skillzzzz"

Oct 13, 2007
Effect..

The only problem with that is that if u have a heckler he may look at the card as u are walking around to get to the window. Also i think telling them to flick the card is kinda childish like "OOHHH!! Put your magic spell on the card and then flick it ON ONE! TWO! THREE!!" If u know what I mean Just things to think about...

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
You saying that you don't want to use gimmicks is understandable, but then saying, "no palming, copping, or anything like that," makes it seem like you don't want to use sleight of hand either. So if you aren't using gimmicks, or sleight of hand.... you are using??? pixie dust?

I am sorry, the idea seems fun, something I could see Cyril doing... but try not to take away too much of what is needed to accomplish the effect (in this case, sleight of hand).

For example, I could say. "MY NEW EFFECT!!!: A spectator holds a signed card in the palm of their hand, and without moving or touching the card in anyway, it turns into a lizard!!! YES a LIZARD, with their exact signature on the back of the lizard, but not in black sharpie ink! NO !! in bright beautiful pink glitter ink!

NO SLEIGHT OF HAND, no duplicates, no gimmicks, and no magical lizards! just skillzzzz"

It is very simple and I never said no slight of hand but i would but it on a difficulty level as witness 3 moves altogether.

-Michael

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
The only problem with that is that if u have a heckler he may look at the card as u are walking around to get to the window. Also i think telling them to flick the card is kinda childish like "OOHHH!! Put your magic spell on the card and then flick it ON ONE! TWO! THREE!!" If u know what I mean Just things to think about...

Yes I know what you are saying and no I have them hold it with one finger. Also when you do a two card monte you don't hand the cards to the heckler in the group. And as for the last part it is a a matter of presentation I like to have them flick the card almost as if they were throwing the card thru the window themselves.

-Michael

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Interesting idea, Michael... Interesting transposition...
Although... is a window really necessasry for the trick?
It could be just my opinion but, if it's going to be a transposition... couldn't it just be happening in the spectator's hand? (I don't know what your method is, but from what I'm perceiving, I think it could)
I think it's a good idea, but I'm just confused why window is necessary.... Would you do me a favor and try it out and see how the reactions are? I mean, we are magicians, so we may think that's weird and somewhat unnecessary, but the audiences may love that, so I'd say try it out.

Sep 3, 2007
Cool idea for a 2 Card Transpo. (that is what it is right?)

Makes sense to me, introducing a barrier.

Tell me how it works out

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Interesting idea, Michael... Interesting transposition...
Although... is a window really necessasry for the trick?
It could be just my opinion but, if it's going to be a transposition... couldn't it just be happening in the spectator's hand? (I don't know what your method is, but from what I'm perceiving, I think it could)
I think it's a good idea, but I'm just confused why window is necessary.... Would you do me a favor and try it out and see how the reactions are? I mean, we are magicians, so we may think that's weird and somewhat unnecessary, but the audiences may love that, so I'd say try it out.

No window needed but it adds a new dimension to the effect. Also you can do it with you having a blank card and say flick the ink thru the window and they end up with the card.

-Michael

Oct 6, 2007
No good telling us something...with nothing if you get what I mean.

As RebelAce said...

Show us some evidence of it being a workable effect.

Sep 1, 2007
That sounds really great. Are there other applications? Perhaps you could use it as a card through table (two at once!).

My advice? Sit on it. Don't release it. Just keep it and work on it and see where it goes.

Hoe that helps, and good luck!

Nov 15, 2007
It sounds like a good effect. It's a simple 2 card transposition effect added with a barrier, which creates a new dimension to the effect. But instead of a wall, it's a window which creates the illusion of being very open. I can see this effect being done on the streets near shops on city walks.

It's really just a matter of presentation that takes this to another level. The ink penetrating the glass is an excellent application.

To the spectators..when the effect is supposed to happen, it's pretty angle proof...as angle proof as you can get. Spectators can be anywhere...even in the glass, although refraction might be a problem...

You can have the involved spectator place his/her card on yours (assuming they are face to face) and then s/he slowly rubs it on the window, which in turn puts the magic in their hands. They do their own revelation...but you have to build up to it. Keep this to yourself and let us know how it goes.

Apr 28, 2008
This could easily be achieved with a double lift and a snap change. If you've come up with a better method it would be cool to see it.

I don't know how much the window would add to the effect, it could be 'too impossible'. When they see the Joker change into their selection they may just think 'well he just switched the card before he gave it to me'. I may be wrong, there's only one way to find out, go out and perform it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results