Misdirection = Lack of Skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
"Misdirection is a great way get away with things one couldn't normally get away with"?

Misdirection is the excuse some magicians use for their lack of skill
As a magician I have no respect for those who purely rely on misdirection to accomplish an effect:eek:
When your skill and speed is not as fast or as good as Brian Tudor's then Misdirection is your Only option
I myself stay away from such methods because it shows your lack of speed and sleight of hand
I could easily misdirect someone and put a card in my pocket but whats the challenge on that
I would rather use some technique were I can achieve the same effect by using sleight oh hand
All These "magicians" that rely on misdirection cant do anything against a clever audience member(Heckler)
I can do a card to mouth without having to misdirect laymen
I do it straight out(Brian Tudor's Card To Mouth)
Using MouthGarbage to misdirect is a poor excuse to saying im not good enough to do it on my own.
When I perform.... the eyes of the spectators are on my hands were the magic is happening
not on my mouth

I know that with misdirection I can get a cat to appear out of no were but that is nothing compared to making it appear while they are watching

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
It is extremely difficult to misdirect someone.
and you saying it is a lack of skills means that you either never tried it.or are terrible at it.
And not all misdirection means using "mouthgarbage".
And you say you admire madison.
His skills in deception lie heavily in misdirection.
"if you want to be understood.Listen"

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
You know you have a point. Why use true skill to misdirect people it isn't like we are doing this for fun or anything. We want to be the most technical we can be. Why talk don't ever let them hear you speak. Heck lets no even use are eyes I pity the magician who likes to look at the cards. Also it takes real skill to do this with your fingers taped. And until you do that please don't talk about skill.

-Michael

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Brian, you continually berate other magicians for using any method that differs from yours. You continually speak as if you have all this experience, and I have yet to see you prove you have ground to stand on with your claims. All I have seen from you is a bunch of spam for your love of Tudor, and nothing more.

The biggest problem I have...is that you ask for others opinions, then argue about why they are wrong. If you ask for opinions, expect people to disagree with you. No two people think the same way. You need to get used to this.

I respect that you value your skill over anything else. That's fine. It really is. But not every magician feels that way. Many feel that they want to put time into performance, psychology, misdirection, a special set of cards they enjoy using, maybe even some gimmicks as opposed to super-uber-special-knucklebusting sleight of hand. Do not for a second think that because you feel these are bad, that means that they are bad for every magician.

Have you ever tried applying your logic to things other than cards? Ever tried palming rope for a rope routine? Ever tried to shoot a coin into your mouth the same way that Tudor does his card to mouth? Your logic, applies SOLELY to cards. And since magic is about more than just cards, you cannot apply a single buffer to every magician.

You realize that magicians exist who don't even touch cards? They MUST rely on misdirection, on gimmicks, on patter. You said in another post of yours that if you can't flourish with cards, you aren't a magician. How does this apply to those who only use coins? So that means someone who is amazing with coins isn't a magician because they can't flourish?

All I'm trying to say is, remember that there exists a whole world of magic outside of cards and Brian Tudor.

I apologize if anything in this response sounded rude, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to help you see things in a
different light, so you may possibly understand where other magicians are coming from.

To all those who respond to Brians posts, remember. He is a member of the forums, and even if you do not see eye to eye with him, arguing pointlessly only places you in the same boat he is in, just from a different perspective. I have been guilty of this myself, but do try and remain civil. It will make for a better experience for all of us.

-ThrallMind

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
may i just say this thread is utterly stipid. is it not part of our job? is it not a skill in itself to misdirect? how do pickpockets achive there goals. so basically your saying when david blaine steals a watch, and uses misdirection to do so he is doing it because his slight of hand is bad? in my opinion you should lokk at it from a different point of view, but who am i to say what is write and what is wrong

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
Some magicians need to use misdirection while some might not. In your opinion, misdirection is a lack of skill. I agree that if misdirection is used excessively, it represents a lack of skill. However, there are some tricks that require misdirection. Without misdirection, the trick cannot succeed.

As heavymetalholic said earlier, David Blaine uses misdirection to steal a watch. Do you think you can steal someone's watch without misdirection? Seems almost impossible to me.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
All,

There are certain types of threads that are created for what seems to be the sole purpose of starting fights, and to get people's blood boiling. It is my opinion that this is such a thread, and, based off of what I have seen in other threads of this nature, it is more than likely that conversation will degrade into fighting and name-calling.

With that said, this thread is officially closed.
TDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results