Second Thoughts

Before finding this site I was a semi-magician. I could riffle shuffle and do simple things like that, as well as a little self working magic. I came to this site and saw the Trilogy: "WOW," I thought. "I really want to do that." Little did I know I was getting into expert stuff, when the proper thing to do would be to start with the encyclopedia or something. So the DVD set comes in the mail and I start working on various things, but I'll only speak about the flourshes. I started with the Molecule Four (blessedly they listed that one first after the super fan); it was really hard at first and for a while, but slowly I worked at it and became proficient. About six months since I got the Trilogy I can now do Molecule Four_ny quickly as well as Akira, and am working on Mecka and Eko. About two minutes ago I read the "new to flourishing" page and am wondering if I need to step back and get some basics.

So here's the question: Now that I'm in the deep end with hard D&D stuff would it really be worth my time, money, and effort to go back to the beginning? Where do you suggest I go from here.

Any advice about eko? My left hand is big but doesn't seem to be big enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already read this and it is what gave me the "second thoughts". It's written for beginners; I'm not a beginner. I just haven't done the beginner stuff, so I'm a bit confused as to where to go from here.

Sep 1, 2007
Io I'm a bit confused as to where to go from here.

think of it as like you lived your whole life before flourishing in some tiny village in the middle of nowhere. Now, you just moved to a new town. theres a street a few blocks away that has like Taco Bell, jackinthebox, Burger king, wendy's , taco TIME, baja fresh, etc , just because you eat at one for the first week, doesn't mean you can't go check out all the other ones.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Hey, dont worry. If you can already do Molecule 4 and Akira than thats great! It wont hurt ur flourishing if dont learn basics first. Just look at andrei, his first flourish was the cobra cut, the hardest one handed cut in the world (well, not anymore). Altough, learning the basics will help you. I strongly suggest Xtreme Beginnerz. But dont get worried that start with hard is gonna hurt ur flourishing.

-MS9

Hey, dont worry. If you can already do Molecule 4 and Akira than thats great! It wont hurt ur flourishing if dont learn basics first. Just look at andrei, his first flourish was the cobra cut, the hardest one handed cut in the world (well, not anymore). Altough, learning the basics will help you. I strongly suggest Xtreme Beginnerz. But dont get worried that start with hard is gonna hurt ur flourishing.

Thanks for the only post that actually addressed the topic... And really, thanks. I'm probably just going to work on D&D stuff for now, but will consider getting a beginner source sometime and maybe branch out to different styles. Of all the stuff I see on YouTube, though, D&D stuff is my fav.

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
Yes, I would DEFINITELY get Encyclopedia of Playing Card Magic. It's a "beginners" book, but so many of the things in there are hard for me. For example, even though I can do D&D's Pandora (one of their more advanced flourishes on The Trilogy) pretty quickly and smoothly, I thought the simultaneous running L-Cuts in the Encyclopedia were even more difficult than that. And don't even get me started on Jerry's armspreads, especially with my skinny little arms.

In short: The basics are never a bad idea. :)

Sep 1, 2007
California
I've already read this and it is what gave me the "second thoughts". It's written for beginners; I'm not a beginner. I just haven't done the beginner stuff, so I'm a bit confused as to where to go from here.

Sorry, I meant that some of the basics can be learned from the link, also, don't feel bad if you didn't start with the basics, I started with Molecule 4, but I thought that learning the basics might help me later on, so I went back and learned them. I don't think you have to start from the beginning, but going back to some of the basics will help you. I think it will be worth it.

Since you already have the Trilogy you could look in the "Flourishes 101" section on the dvd. Quite a few flourishes are their, and those are basics.

Yeah, I've spent a good amount of time w/ Flourishes 101; I suppose that counts. It's just that I'm not familiar with some things people refer to as basic knowledge like the hindu shuffle and various cutting techniques. Thanks for the help.

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
Thanks! What are the different options as far as beginner stuff? Why do you recommend the encyclopedia?

The Encyclopedia is, as its namesake suggests, HUGE. It covers the basic one-handed cuts like the Charlier cut, as well as the basic thumb and pressure fans. But then it goes into the more complex things such as (like I said) armspreads and running L-Cuts, which means it's a good blend of basic and advanced. Plus everything comes with pictures and detailed instructions, so it's probably the most intensive volume of card flourishing you'll every see - about 550 pages, maybe just a tad less.

Plus it teaches you how to throw cards. Always a plus. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results