What should a true magician know?

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
2. Practice it until you have mastered it, before performing it.
Not only that, but practice beyond when you THINK you've mastered it. Then practice some more. Because you can never really master a sleight - you can do it in your sleep, blindfolded, behind your back, and you can STILL mess up in front of a crowd. Nerves can really wreak havoc on a magician.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Not only that, but practice beyond when you THINK you've mastered it. Then practice some more. Because you can never really master a sleight - you can do it in your sleep, blindfolded, behind your back, and you can STILL mess up in front of a crowd. Nerves can really wreak havoc on a magician.

Ha. Agreed. I was trying to keep it simple but yeah, you got it.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
As d+M would have it, don't make your patter ridiculous. Make the audience believe what you do.

That's so fking true, it's embarissing watching magicians say stuff like "hey watch this magic button you're card will fly through the air and land in youre backpocket" that's just so wrong for me.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Understand the importance of presentation. Most younger magicians these days simply don't. And from what I saw while attending an IBM Meeting two nights ago... a few older magicians, as well.

Sep 3, 2007
That's so fking true, it's embarrassing watching magicians say stuff like "hey watch this magic button you're card will fly through the air and land in your back pocket" that's just so wrong for me.
I disagree a ton! Make your patter fit you, if unbelievable patter works for you, use it. I have seen some very good magicians use that type of patter. So don't tell everyone not to use a certain type of patter since you hate it. I hate story patter, it just doesn't work for me, do I tell everyone not to use story patter? No, because that would be stupid. A true magician needs to understand that his patter should not be what came with the trick, it should be what works for you.

Jul 29, 2008
I disagree a ton! Make your patter fit you, if unbelievable patter works for you, use it. I have seen some very good magicians use that type of patter. So don't tell everyone not to use a certain type of patter since you hate it. I hate story patter, it just doesn't work for me, do I tell everyone not to use story patter? No, because that would be stupid. A true magician needs to understand that his patter should not be what came with the trick, it should be what works for you.

So true, couldn't agree more )

Aug 9, 2008
Stay connected.

If no one can relate to you, why should they pay you to do card tricks?

No thats not it.Have super awesome and shocking tricks..I don't need to relate to

them,they should relate to me.They should pay attention to me because im

performing astonishing card tricks not some stupid mathematical card trick.

And If they hired me is for a reason,To show them my awesome card tricks, not to

connect with them.But hey If you want to connect go to the bar.

Sep 1, 2007
No thats not it.

Have fun never making it as a professional.

The last gig I had was at a political fundraiser. They liked my magic, but most of all the hosts kept praising my professional demeanor, attitude, and how I took the time to converse with all the guests before and after my show. They've been telling all their friends about me, are writing up a testimonial for my website, and they passed out about 60 of my business cards to their friends and family within a week.

Stay connected.

Aug 9, 2008
Have fun never making it as a professional.

The last gig I had was at a political fundraiser. They liked my magic, but most of all the hosts kept praising my professional demeanor, attitude, and how I took the time to converse with all the guests before and after my show. They've been telling all their friends about me, are writing up a testimonial for my website, and they passed out about 60 of my business cards to their friends and family within a week.

Stay connected.

Really? So your Tricks were *** then, When I perform they only talk about my

effects,Its all about the Effects.. enough' said.Did I mention I'm Hilarious and

charismatic?I have a perfect pass too

Sep 1, 2007
Are you BrianationX?

If he's not, he's one of the worst trolls I've ever seen in my life. A good troll is subtle and can piss people off through careful wordplay.

This guy may as well be slamming his face against his keyboard for all the good he's doing in raising any hackles.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
The Prestidigitator
No thats not it.Have super awesome and shocking tricks..I don't need to relate to
them,they should relate to me.They should pay attention to me because im
performing astonishing card tricks not some stupid mathematical card trick
Wow. You just dont see it yet. If you dont connect or relate to them then what you are showing them means nothing.
And If they hired me is for a reason,To show them my awesome card tricks, not to connect with them.But hey If you want to connect go to the bar.
Most of the time they are not hiring you so you can show them how good you are. They are hiring you to entertain them.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results