My Queens

I actually quite liked the performance; and somehow I don't think you did go "too fast" as others have said. For me, there was a nice pace throughout and there was a clear sense of elegance that came from your performance - good job. However, I would strongly recommend re-thinking the order of the Queens before the first vanish however, because your performance apparently shows three red Queens, and one black Queen -- which to me is not very logical, lol. The only other thing I would recommend working on is the production; try to make that a tad slower and give it more grace, don't rush such a beautiful production

Other than that, I thought it was very well done; congratulations! :)

then what is it?

I'm unsure of your exact mechanics, but it looks identical to that of the Coffin Change taught in both the original Queens by Bill Goodwin, found on page 10 of The Penumbra Magazine, issue eight (July 2004), and Dan Buck’s variation taught on Disc 1 of The Trilogy DVD (July 2007). Ironically, your technique looks the same and it is in the exact same position in both routines mentioned above – it does not appear to be original to you at all. If you’re interested, here's a bit of history on the evolution:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea of a one-card pass goes back as far as 1933, where it can be found on page 1053 of the 1994 edition of Greater Magic by the name of “George Pughe’s Pass“. It is described in a letter to John Northern Hilliard dated January 21st 1933, where it is mentioned that it is ‘a one-card version of the Houdini-Elliot Shift.’ Pughe used the move to control a selection, using the middle finger as the lever.

However, the first to establish this sleight in print was Steranko, and used his pinky to accomplish the move, making it much easier. His “Shadow Steal“ appears on page 22 of Steranko On Cards (1960). The mechanics of the sleight are also utilized in “The Rooklyn Top Palm“ found on page 161 of Dai Vernon’s Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic (1967).

Ray Kosby then re-invented the move in his youth, and titled it “The Coffin Change“ which can be found on page 45 of Spectacle (Minch, 1990). Most recently however, Daniel Garcia published the move by the name of the “Ego Change“ in his Lecture notes, Blueprints (2004). It was later published in his DVD set, The Daniel Garcia Project, Volume 1 (2005).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps,
Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
I'm unsure of your exact mechanics, but it looks identical to that of the Coffin Change taught in both the original Queens by Bill Goodwin, found on page 10 of The Penumbra Magazine, issue eight (July 2004), and Dan Buck’s variation taught on Disc 1 of The Trilogy DVD (July 2007). Ironically, your technique looks the same and it is in the exact same position in both routines mentioned above – it does not appear to be original to you at all. If you’re interested, here's a bit of history on the evolution:
Hey dude,

Awesome bit of insight into that move, but I think he was referring to the 3rd production, when he first produced the queen, as opposed to the 3rd vanish. :)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Holy crap Jordan, way to provide information... I know who I'm PM'ing when I need the details of a move...

I agree with him on the pace thing though, I think that it was mostly good, but the production was slightly quick.

Nice work

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
thanks for all the info jordan :) but i meant the 3 queen production at the begining, when the queen of hearts appears, its my substitute for the paintbrush change. Its the one when i wave the QC over the deck and it the QH appears on the deck. (and by the way its not the coffin its the cardini change, adjusted for my tastes).

im sorry for the confusion and sorry for jordan writing all that stuff when it was my fault.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results