thumb tips
paper
fire
wire
magnets
and all the other good stuff in magic
where is the love for all of the other categories in magic

I use all of those all the time!
Its just this forum thing that Cardistry and Magic. 90% of the young people stop doing magic in a month or two. And people tend to think that card magic is the most effective and mind blowing. Thats because they start with it, the other reason is that its the most simplest to start with. If id to ask everyone what was theyre first trick its almost always with cards and a routine that involves DL´s and F. Cuts.

Mikk

Apr 28, 2008
Some of the other stuff is very interesting but I find that a lot of it isn't very practical. I like to be able to just pick up a deck of cards when i'm going out and not have to worry about anything else. I don't want to have to try and shove cards, ropes, cups and balls etc into my pockets.

I think quite a few people do some stuff with rubber bands, Chris Kenner's Missing Link is quite popular and Daniel Garcia has a nice rubber band routine on the Daniel Garcia Project that a lot of people probably use.

There is also a couple of those styles that I don't find very entertaining. For example, sponge balls. They jump around and split apart etc, it's just not a very interesting plot to me. I'm sure they work for some people but not for me.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Personally, I find that my spongball routine can actually be one of my strongest pieces of material. When they open their hand to find 10 small spongballs, the look on the spectator's face can be priceless :p.

I've also started practicing a color changing knife routine. I personally don't do it particularly well yet, but a magician I met in LA (Mark Seburn) used them to very good effect. :)

I don't think that we should restrict ourselves to a deck of cards. Somehow I think it's more practical to have a wider range to call from. For example having knowledge of rubberband magic; you can borrow 2 rubber bands (or even a single one) and perform a full routine using them.

Jun 24, 2008
United States
i was very suprised at the reactions i got using sponge balls, because I do not usually use them. I think im definaltly going to come up with a nice routine using them now. I also like the other types of magic, because im thinking of doing table hopping and for that, you need more than just cards.

~Nate

I think a lot of the reason is that most magic sites, like theory11, are dedicated to closeup card magic first, coins second, and everything else after that. Unfortunately, everything else tends to come in small, rare spurts.

I love performing with ropes, and I used to do crazy man's handcuffs to open my birthday party shows. I still perform it when I see two rubber bands together, like at work.

A close friend has some of the most fun spongeball routines I've ever seen, with sponges appearing under people's arms, in their pockets, and ending with an actual clown nose appearing on his face. He's got a bar version using blue sponges...you can imagine the presentational ideas using blue balls. There's so much to this prop, and say what you will, people love them.

For fire, look at Jay Sankey's recent work. He's got so much material involving fire it's ridiculous.

It's not dead, just not in our faces as much!

Pj

Apr 15, 2008
we almost never talk about other magic types
what ever happen to :
ropes
sponge balls
rubber bands
mind games
cup and ball
thumb tips
paper
fire
wire
magnets
and all the other good stuff in magic
where is the love for all of the other categories in magic

I just got a TT so Im working with that.
I will be getting sponge balls too.
I know what you mean though, most people are interested in JUST cards. The hype with cards makes all the other kinds a little easier to pull off becuase not many people have seen them. Cups and balls, TT, rubber bands, and Sponges are effects that I know are fun to do and it is kind of good that many people dont know about them becuase it makes ourselves look better at magic than we really are!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results