Pass Problems

Aug 9, 2008
I am getting alright at doing the pass (nowhere NEAR performing level) but much better than i was a week ago. im getting better with concealing the movement but i still have a big problem... i cant seem to move the cards without making a sound (the cards scraping off of each other)

any advice?

Apr 28, 2008
At what point are the cards scraping?

When you do the Pass the 2 packets should not touch at all until you are squaring them up at the end of the pass. Do it very slowly and make sure the packets do not scrape against each other then gradually speed it up.

It's possible that you're trying to go too fast, you should start off doing the pass very slowly and making sure the mechanics are perfect, speed will come naturally and isn't something you need to work on.

Aug 9, 2008
i took the advice... slowed it down a lot... and it doesnt scrape the top packet anymore... the only problem now is that the packet comes out from under the cover of my hand... is the only way to fix this to just keep practicing or is it that my hands are too small?

Apr 28, 2008
i took the advice... slowed it down a lot... and it doesnt scrape the top packet anymore... the only problem now is that the packet comes out from under the cover of my hand... is the only way to fix this to just keep practicing or is it that my hands are too small?

Hand size is not a problem, just rock the deck back slightly as you do the pass, this should cover the packet sticking out.

pass healer

Your hand size isn't the problem. It helped me to push the bottom packet further into my thumb as i performed it. Moving it about a centimeter to the left while still pulling the top packet out and using your thumb as an axis point for the bottom packet. Play around with it. Push it really hard against your thumb at first and then ease up on it until you find what's comfortable and looks the best for you. When i first started that advice helped me alot.

Just push against to the thumb and pull it up. You should feel it just 'pop' into place; eventually you'll speed it up naturally and once you have the movment down the speed will come incredably quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting alright at doing the pass (nowhere NEAR performing level) but much better than i was a week ago. im getting better with concealing the movement but i still have a big problem... i cant seem to move the cards without making a sound (the cards scraping off of each other)

any advice?

I have some difficulties also doing this silent however I have so little patience I tend to do the turnover pass most of the time

with the line ' your cards not on top or the bottom' theres always a way around sleights.

:D

At what point are the cards scraping?

When you do the Pass the 2 packets should not touch at all until you are squaring them up at the end of the pass.
They do touch, its the tension ( mostly caused by speed without acquiring the knack ) that produces the sound.

The packets touch, since you want to do the move with minimum space. No sound is produced when the knack is acquired ( spelling ), do note that you compensate speed with cover, or sound with more sound.

I advise the original poster to get a proper source for learning the pass. Gary Ouellet's book the Pass is the best for learning the classic pass, but problem with the the classic pass is that you get better with learning more and more about it. This is true for many sleights but particularly true for the classic pass.

Cheers,

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results