Best E deck?

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
I don't even know why this is up for debate... GHOSTS, hands down one of my favorite decks. It looks nice, fans very well (powdered or non-powdered), holds together fairly well for cuts, and lasts a long time. It also doesn't seem as thick as the other decks from Ellusionist.

I think there's threads out there like this already, but don't take my word for it.

Jan 3, 2008
Hey there!

I'm a long term customer of Ellusionist, and this is my opinion:

Best for Magic: Black Tiger
Black Tigers are thick and glide smoothly. They last a long time and help you to accomplish sleights with ease. Also, double lifts and grouped cards are harder to spot because the black just blends in to the other cards in the deck.

Best for XCM: Vipers
As almost anyone can tell you, Tally Ho's have always been a favorite in the world of XCM. They have a substantially better feel than bikes while flourishing, and also have better snap, finish, and durability than normal bikes. But when you get into the Viper territory, your Tally Ho's just achieved a smoother finish, slightly thicker stock, and improved lifespan. In addition, they fan beautifully.

Best Balance for BOTH: Ghosts (or Black Ghosts)
Ghosts have the smoothness and thickness of the Black Tigers, but are still good for cuts and packet flourishes. Because they lack that black ink all over the cards, they are also somewhat thinner than the Black Tigers, which makes your cards more lightweight and easier to flourish with. They group together better than the Black Tigers, as the Black Tigers seem to fall apart while floushing while the Ghost do not. Finally, they seem last the longest out of the other E decks. Black Ghost are the EXACT SAME as the regular ghosts, so your decision between the two should be based purely on preference of color scheme. (However, keep in mind regular Ghosts are much cheaper).

If you are still not sure, try this sample pack out. It has all three of the decks I recommended: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/playing+cards/bundles/custom+3-deck+sample+pack.do

Hope I helped!

EDIT: Yes, they still have their 6-deck sample pack, which can be found here: http://www.ellusionist.com/product/playing+cards/bundles/custom+6+deck+sample+pack.do Keep in mind this sample pack includes all of the custom E decks, EXCEPT the Black Ghost deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I was planning on doing that but they don't have that 6 deck sample pack any more(or do they?). Besides there decks are two expensive.

Actually, the 6 deck sample pack is still available. That's what I'd recommend. That way you get a feel of all except Black Ghosts and can decide which YOU like best. Everyone will have their own preferences. After all, they each are on different stock. Ghosts and Black Ghosts are the thinnest E decks while Masters and Shadow Masters are the thickest.

I personally like Shadow Masters best, but I don't use them since the design doesn't fit my personality. I tend to use Tigers of Ghosts if I use an E deck.

here's the link to the 6 deck pack
http://www.ellusionist.com/product/playing+cards/bundles/custom+6+deck+sample+pack.do

as soon as you add them to your cart, the price will drop from 36 to 25

sinjin7

Elite Member
Apr 19, 2008
The best E deck for XCM is the Shadow Master by a slim margin. If you can't stand black decks, then go with Ghosts, which are not as overpriced as other E decks. Just for the record, with the exception of the Vintage 1800 decks, ALL E DECKS HAVE THE SAME UV500 FINISH. Please don't try to debate this. The subtle variance you feel between decks has to do with how the UV500 finish reacts with the amount of ink used and different graphics, which is why Shadow Masters and Ghosts feel slightly better, imo. But all E decks will fan, spread, faro, cut, and spring very well so it basically comes down to the subjectivity of what looks the best to you.

I'm not sure any E deck is good for magic. The reason for this is because I'm old-school and feel nothing beats Bikes or Tallys, cards people are familiar with. XCM is about flash and sizzle, and the physical properties of cards (like the stock, finish, smoothness, durability) actually matter and affect performance, so custom decks fit the bill. Some of the most powerful magic is making the ordinary become extraordinary. Bikes/Tallys won't arouse suspicion and won't distract or detract from the effects of the sleight of hand.

Apr 28, 2008
Anyone who says 'LOL none they suk' has obviously never used the E decks and is just trying to look cool. Regardless of if you like E or not they have some great decks.

I don't really like using them in live performances but my favourite is the Ghost deck, it spreads and fans perfectly and lasts for ages.

My least favourite is the Black Ghost deck, I didn't really like the feel of it out of the box and the ink started to wear off very quickly, I won't be using this deck again.

I kind of like the Masters deck as the quality is noticeably better than a regular Bike deck but it's just a bit too expensive for me.

I really like Vipers, they look really cool and also last for ages, the ink does wear off but for some reason it doesn't seem to look as bad as on the Black Ghost.

Sep 5, 2007
i agree with Squ!rrel

E decks perform great, but i dont like using them for audiences cause they look too funky. except for masters.

Yes none was the answer
Sorry my english:d

So what deck do you like? All the T11 decks?

I personally like the Vipers. Ive had them for a year and they still fan. The ghosts are good too, handle great and are good to to magic with. The Shadow masters are in my opinion not good at all. They lasted me a little while and they just went wrong like the bees do.

Mikk

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
Ghosts get my vote as best E deck. I use them mostly for magic, but they perform very well for the few flourishes and cuts I do.

As for claims that they arouse suspicion and are not good for magic: Sorry, Sinjin... but I don't believe you. That goes for ANY custom deck, not just E. I use Ghosts and Centurions rather regularly. And I can count on one finger the times where people openly accused the deck of being a trick deck. I use those two decks also for their performance attributes

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results